Various Questions

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Kuro
Contributor

Various Questions

Postby Kuro » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:48 am

Hi all,

33 year old male, tested positive for C Diff toxin even though all including GI thought it was IBS. I have been atypical in that there was no recent antibiotic use or underlying illness we know of. I suffer bad health anxiety and have only about 4 days left of my Vanco shield, and although we have religiously stuck to cleaning and probiotics, I thought now would be a good time to post questions I have after reading a lot of scary stuff.

1. How much hope can I really have to be cured in the one round of Vanco? I know the 80/20 bit, but really, how many times have you known that to happen?

2. When it’s said that people are “cured” here in those early rounds, is that literal or does it just mean that particular infection is cured and you can relapse at any time still? Do we all have to have FMT to truly be cured?

3. All told, compared to the vast majority of you, my first infection has been extremely mild. If I relapse, could I be terribly worse the next time, or do you typically keep the same symptoms of your strain?

4. Does having had such a mild infection suggest my recovery may not be as rough?

5. For how long are you contagious? Seem to have a tough time finding a straight answer on this. Can the stringent cleaning protocols ever be relaxed?

6. Any other advice you may have for preparing as I approach going off Vanco for the first time is welcome. My dominant symptoms are off and on nausea and lack of appetite, with the nausea often coming on before I can even finish a plate of my very plain dinner. Living on toast, rice, baked chicken and water.

Thanks, all!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Various Questions

Postby georgina » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:20 am

Welcome to the site , sorry you are dealing with Cdiff.
As I read , you are a young and otherwise healthy person that can easily be included in that category of 80 % that will be cured after their first episode. Most of people develop antibodies after their initial infection that will protect them against further episodes so their immune system will somehow disable the toxins (like a vaccine , unfortunately not all people are able to develop those antibodies) , or their good flora is able to reseed fast the gaps that can be reoccupied by Cdiff . We never TRULY get rid of Cdiff because is a spore forming bacteria and those spores can't be killed by any antibiotic , so we just need to make sure that he doesn't have room to overgrow , we need to leave him in a dormant state. As long as Cdiff doesn't overgrow it is not considered a disease. And FMT doesn't work like a magical cure , it doesn't destroy all Cdiff spores , the FMT only gives you back the flora that is able to keep Cdiff under control.
If you had a mild infection it means that your intestinal lining didn't suffered a lot of damage and it will be able to heal faster.
You are contagious as long as you have WD.
For more info see CDI-hygiene , diet , IBS and the three day rule.
One advice from me will be : try not to let Cdiff control your life , don't dwell in obsessive thought about relapses , don't look in the toilet after every BM , don't let anxiety overwhelm you!!

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:30 am

Hi Kuro, glad that your recovery seems to have been relatively rapid. With regard to your Question 5, length of time of being contagious applies only to when you're having diarrhea, and the cleaning protocols should address any risk adequately. As to their stringency: absolutely the protocols can be relaxed after you're no longer symptomatic. In fact, there's no compelling reason to continue to take such measures as wiping down surfaces/handles/etc. with Clorox germicidal wipes after the episode of C. diff has passed. The key protocol to continue, going forward, is simply thorough hand-washing, with soap and water whenever possible, prior to preparing food, after using restroom, and, ideally, when returning home from outdoor errands. Hope this helps to put your mind at ease.

Allison
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Bobbo112
Contributor

Postby Bobbo112 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:03 pm

Edit:wrong thread

Kuro
Contributor

Postby Kuro » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:22 am

Thank you for your answers, guys. I have another question.

1. I have actually had a hard time going with a BM this week. I have pelvic floor dysfunction and I suspect I am in spasm, so that is probably why. I talked to my GI today and they said they were not concerned because I was still going, if only some, and am probably getting to the end of my infection. The fact that I am eating so little and mostly starchy stuff probably hurts, too, they think. (oddly, was able to eat my bowl of chicken and rice tonight with no nausea) Told me to start drinking 1 tablespoon of Benefiber a day.

So, the question. I did go a little tonight after drinking the Benefiber. Not much, but at least things are still working. What alarmed me was seeing a small patch of brown M floating on the water’s surface, with a few tiny bits of solid in it. I know M can happen with CDiff recovery, but is this a bad sign to have before I am even off the med?

The GI is supposed to call again sometime today, so I can ask then, but do I need to worry? I will run out of meds as the weekend begins, which is concerning between the oddities like the constipation and the incident of M.

As I said, the constipation also worries me, even if it did not the GI. Not sure what to think beyond maybe my pelvic floor in spasm, plus so little food eaten. Feels pretty bruised down there from all the unnecessary strain. I had lots of C before the infection, so none of that would’ve worried me before, but now...

Thanks all.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:56 am

Constipation is not concerning unless there are other alarming symptoms along with it : swollen abdomen , sharp pain and unable to pass gas.

Kuro
Contributor

Postby Kuro » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:06 am

Hi Georgina,

Thanks for the quick answer.

I am able to pass gas’s and no distension. The rectal area discomfort is more like an ache than a sharp pain, and stretching seems to help a little, so I am thinking I probably strained too often these past few days. Maybe?

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:52 am

The rectal pressure it a common IBS symptom along with the M discharges , we all had it in early recovery while our intestines were still iritated , it's quite annoying but it will subside. I haven't asked you if you are taking a probiotic? If not , you should try one (Sacharomyces boulardii is studied to be most efficient against Cdiff).

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”