New Here

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Algela
New User

New Here

Postby Algela » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:10 pm

Hello,

I’m 46 f and received a positive result for C. Diff yesterday. I’m feeling really anxious about it all. I was put on clindamycin for a dental infection. Thought nothing if it and towards the end got a bad bout of diarrhea. Just thought it was a side effect. I was fine for 10 days and then on Monday had one loose stool after lunch, the same happened on Tuesday. Wednesday I stayed home from work and had 10 very loose BMs. On Thursday I made a dr appointment and gave a stool sample.

I have no fever, I hear a gurgle in my stomach every once in a while. Friday I started flagyl generic and had 6 loose BMs. Today I have had 5.

I’ve spent the whole day cleaning all the surfaces I can with germicidal bleach. I’m running loads of laundry making sure to keep my towels and underwear separate. I have 5 year old twin girls and my husband just finished a round of amoxiclav for a sinus infection. I’m so worried he might get it.

Is there anything else I can be doing nutrition wise? I have been taking probiotics as far apart from my meds as possible. I don’t have much of an appetite but have been eating oatmeal, almond milk and pea protein. I managed some chicken at lunch.

I’ve been getting tension headaches today but don’t know if it is a side effect or me getting stressed out. Thanks for reading.

Bennet
Regular User

Re: New Here

Postby Bennet » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:26 pm

So sorry you are going through this. Mine started off with Clindamycin too and as I've read through the posts here it seems to be the biggest offender. I hope the Flagyl will work for you. Flagyl made me have no appetite at all so you will probably have to keep forcing yourself to eat.
~Bennet

Algela
New User

Postby Algela » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:57 pm

Thanks so much Bennet. I’m sorry you have it too.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:48 pm

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

It sounds like you are doing all you can with the cleaning, if you have two bathrooms stick to using one if possible. If not, the bleach works well and make sure to wash your hands with soap and water, no gels etc.
If the Flagyl does not stop the diarrhea after 3 days, call the doctor up and ask to be switched to Vancomycin. If it does start working complete the course.
Make sure to take your Probiotic hours apart from the medication and Floester is one of the best to take. I was not able to tolerate it and take VSL#3.
Go easy on the diet. I stuck with toast,baked chicken, baked potatoes, soups(no dairy) just simple things while the gut is healing.
Alot of people will be fine and on there way after the medication so hang in there.
Hope you feel better soon
NanciT

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:50 pm

Hi Algela, sorry you have to join the C. difficile "club." This is a great site for support and information, so you've come to the right place. I also contracted C. diff after taking clindamycin, about five years ago. It's the top-offending antibiotic for C. diff. I hope you'll take a few minutes to fill out an Adverse Event form on FDA's website; you can access it via the link at the end of my post. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:35 pm

Another hello Algela and sorry you are here. I too, got c diff from clindamycin.

Headaches can be a side effect from Flagyl but of course can come from the stress of being ill. If they do not subside and are unbearable let your dr know and see if he wants to change your meds.

Best of luck for a speedy recovery,
Rita

Algela
New User

Postby Algela » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:53 am

My headaches got worse yesterday and I cannot sleep. I called my dr this morning, spoke to a nurse and then also messaged my Dr via an online system.

I'm asking to be switched to Vanco or Dificid. I have seen that the guidelines have changed for the first line of treatment so shared that article with my doctor. I'm hoping they make the switch. Thank you so much for all your helpful replies.

The D has stopped but I can't put up with the headaches, nausea, and loss of appetite. Those of you that switched did it take long for side effects to subside? I'm not sure what the side effects are of the other two drugs, I'll go and look it up.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:28 am

Flagyl is very difficult to take, it made me very sick. I was on it 3 days and changed to Vanco and found a dramatic difference.
I would push for the change and let them know you cannot function on the Flagyl.

Hope they call it in for you, generally getting off the medication you should see improvement with side effects quickly. Everyone is different but I felt better the next day as I started the Vanco
NanciT

Algela
New User

Postby Algela » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:36 am

My PCP switched me to Vanco yesterday. The headaches have subsided. I’m on 125mg 4 times a day for 10 days, having done almost 3 full days of flagyl.

I’ve been d free now since Sunday. I felt really gassy last night but had a BM this morning. I feel a bit irritated inside and my body is making gurgling noises but just keeping my fingers crossed that I am going to heal.

I’ve ordered florastor and am taking Walgreens version of sacc boul, so will switch when the other comes in. I have another probiotic that has a lot of lactobacillus cultures in it too.

I’ve left the house once to go to the drive thru pharmacy. What about leaving the house once you’ve been d free for 72 hours? I’m meant to go somewhere tomorrow. I won’t be going too far from home.

ETA: I did fill in the FDA survey.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:43 pm

The Vanco should kick in soon and you should be ale to leave the house!

Let us know how you do!

NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:07 am

You do not have to stay away from people.
C.diff is a very common bacteria, you do not need to worry about spreading it once the D stops.
The only reason to stay home is if you need to rush to the bathroom.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:32 am

Same as Roy.
I visited family while I had c diff at my daughter’s encouragement. If you are concerned, purchase a package of bleach wipes to take with you so if you have to use a bathroom while out you can wipe it down, put the wipe in a plastic bag and discard it when done. Just always thoroughly wash your hands, which of course you should always do anyway.

Algela
New User

Postby Algela » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:25 am

Thank you. I ordered the bleach wipes online and a supply of gloves, and have been carrying them with me. So far so good. It feels good to get out. Caffeine, sugar, red meat and dairy free for now. Having small BMS and still Dfree. I am noticing gas and gurgling still, appears to be more concentrated toward my descending/sigmoid colon.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:52 pm

Totally normal. You are doing the right things and progressing well.

Algela
New User

Postby Algela » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:21 am

My medication ended 12 hours ago. I’m feeling better but a bit gaseous with minor discomfort in my lower colon still. I’m now continuing to drink plain unsweetened kefir in the morning, at lunch, and at dinner. Around 5 oz per sitting and am continuing with the florastor twice daily, and Renew Life Ultimate Flora once a day.

I continue to have BMs that are non D but more frequent than before this infection. At what point did you begin to introduce more foods into your diet? I’m still off coffee, red meat, sugar and dairy. Last night was fish with a side of lightly stir fried pepper, onion and mushroom (used coconut oil as the fat), and I appear to have coped with that okay. I did experience acid reflux yesterday after I ate lunch. That was new and it was food that I have been eating, so nothing new diet wise. I didn’t take anything for it though. It may have been the Vanco as I took it without food.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”