Safety of Rifaximin and Nystatin?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
MKW
Regular Contributor

Re: Safety of Rifaximin and Nystatin?

Postby MKW » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:19 pm

Hi, what herbal antimicrobials were you given? I just started on Candibactin BR and Candicidal a few days ago. So frustrating when doctors tell you completely conflicting opinions. My current GI told me to take herbals. I ended up and consulted by phone with my GI doc who did my FMT for a second opinion (she’s out of town), and she said Rifaximin would be safe for me. I am a year out from a successful FMT so a long time since C Diff.

MikeDee
New User

Postby MikeDee » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:48 pm

Candibactin BR, Coconut oil, Turmeric and Oregano oil. It’s tearing my stomach apart. Honestly I felt like Oregano oil got me into this mess so I’ve steered away from that one a bit. I’ve cut out sugar and refined carbs from my diet and I’m miserable. I also used the Nystatin at the advice of another doctor. The first few days I thought maybe it was die off but it seems to be getting worse

MikeDee
New User

Postby MikeDee » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:53 pm

Also, I should mention, I don’t know the full specifics of it but supposedly Xifaxan is somewhat flora sparing when it comes to beneficial bacteria. Whether that’s a good thing or not I guess depends on what strain of c diff you would’ve had. I guess the other thing I’m wondering is if I should use some kind of probiotic for protection (saccharomyces) or just leave it as is. I do also wonder if taking so many probiotics lent a hand in this as well.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi, where do you stand with your treatment at this point? Are you going to try to do the Rifaximin?
I was doing great on my initial herbals for one week, then a dosage was increased and another drug added and now I’m a mess. Have D and feel weak. My system cannot just tolerate all this stuff it seems. I added one that has grapefruit extract and cloves, olive leaf, more berberine, and she had me double my pill that is the main berberine source. I just don’t know what to do anymore myself.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:56 am

My opinion is that you are taking a lot of supplements that will create discomfort even in a healthy intestine. I'm not trying to say that your doctor doesn't know what he's doing but he needs to consider that this treatment hurts you more then it helps you , he should consider changing your treatment before it will create more damage.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:55 am

I was reading the typical dosing of Berberine (like the candibactin) for a diabetic patient to help with blood sugar control is 500 mg three times a day. It is given in three doses spaced apart to help with the side effect of GI upset and diarrhea.
So I was upped to 1100 mg one dose if you put them all together as far as berberine content, 100 mg one dose, and 1100 mg another dose. And I’m taking oregano oil.
These practitioners are not being realistic about how someone with a damaged GI is going to respond.
For me, I just went back to my original lower dose for now.
It’s so difficult to decide what to do when doctors/practitioners give completely conflicting recommendations.

MikeDee
New User

Postby MikeDee » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:36 pm

I still haven’t tried the Xifaxan. It’s been so tough having different doctors giving different advice and giving intense orders not to follow the other doctors advice. I did start taking the Enteragam. I’ve been on it for about 5 days and have had some success. I’m still pretty overrun with nausea, gas and bloating though. I do think the Oregano oil, Berberine, grapeseed extract etc are just as damaging if not more. I could be wrong but the only reason they are considered “safer” is maybe because the show less clinical resistance when it comes to C diff. I could be wrong but they also seem to be more broad spectrum than Xifaxin because unlike Xifaxin they do reach the colon and act on it whereas Xifaxin is supposed to work mainly in the small intestine.

MikeDee
New User

Postby MikeDee » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:55 pm

I am starting the Xifaxan today and will be taking the Jarrow brand Saccharomyces with it

Here’s to hoping...

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:18 pm

Please post how it goes for you! Best of luck :-) I had a poor reaction when my berberine does was increased and have been sick for days. Am now worse than when I started treatment. I may have an attempt with Rifaximin in my future. -melanie

MikeDee
New User

Postby MikeDee » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:43 pm

I will. It’s a 10 day trial so I can post updates if you’d like. As far as today goes I feel terrible but it could very well be attributed to the fact that I am taking a break from a lot of things (digestive enzymes, colostrum, candibactin, TCA, etc) because it’s hard to know what’s causing what. Maybe a more simplified approach will take some off some of the stress

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:05 pm

Yes please do! I didn’t specify, but when I had the reaction I was told to abruptly stop all meds. So now I think my system may have been shocked by that also. Who knows. I have terrible cramping today. I’m 5’4” and down to 106 now from this. Do you have any foods that you eat that help keep weight on? I have no appetite.

MikeDee
New User

Postby MikeDee » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:51 pm

I’m on day 4 and I’m doing ok. I’ve had an increase in bowel movements today that were all a bit loose but I’m attempting to stay calm. I’ve never had a good reaction to Saccharomyces so it’s also a possibility that may be what’s causing it. I’m not allowing myself to take Imodium or anything of the sort. I guess my other question is how long I should take Saccharomyces after the antibiotic ends. And also should I be following up with a probiotic afterwards. Everyone seems to have different opinions on it but from what I’ve gathered if they’re low dose and don’t contain any prebiotics you’re less likely to relapse with SIBO

As far as the food question that’s a really tough one. I’ve honestly been living off of chicken, gluten free bread, baked green beans and sunbutter (though I know not to overdo it on the sunbutter since it contains a lot of magnesium). It’s bland and it’s really hard to maintain weight. I have also been taking small amounts of L-glutamine in powdered form as well as Enteragam. The enteragam has definitely helped a lot but so far it hasn’t been a cure. I plan to continue it for a while though

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:18 am

I got looser stools with Xifaxan too. By the end of the 10th day, I had D. However, when I stopped it, my symptoms and stool consistency were much better than before I started. I also had less bloating and could eat more foods. Sacc. Boulardii never agreed with me. Gave me terrible gas and bloating and even a rash. I take VSL#3.

I was told you have to take the EnteraGam for a few months.

MikeDee
New User

Postby MikeDee » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:52 pm

I hope this isn’t TMI but I have some new information. I should point out that my issue is not the straight watery diarrhea that most people have. I have light colored brownish slightly yellow stool that isn’t liquid but more loose that tends to burn.

Mayo Clinic did a rereading of my capsule endoscopy and found that there were some small ulcers on the duoendum and irritation on the ileum. I assume this is what is causing the malabsorption and the reason there is probably excess bile in the stool.

I’ve tested negative for crohns and stool samples show no parasitic infections so my only other question is whether or not it could be related to food allergies.

I guess I just have to finish out the xifaxan and see where it goes...

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:36 pm

It never feels good to receive any abnormal news with diagnostic testing, but it can at least shed light on your symptoms and be a relief for there to be a known cause vs. unknown. It sounds like people can definitely experience D and varying GI symptoms on Rifaximin. I guess you won’t know much until you are off of it. Do you have a follow up consultation to discuss those new findings from your endoscopy and/or results of the Rifaximin treatment?

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”