Canker Sores post c diff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
shooten
Regular User

Canker Sores post c diff

Postby shooten » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:56 pm

It has been 4 months since my last antibiotic. The past couple months I have been getting canker sores regularly. Before c diff I never had canker sores. Has anyone else experienced canker sores post c diff?

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Re: Canker Sores post c diff

Postby OCmama » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:47 pm

Yes :-/ I never used to them before but I have quite a few since C. diff. The majority of people are carrying dormant viruses, I think maybe the C. diff lowers the immune system and HSV-1 pops up?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:19 am

Other posters have mentioned this over the years too. I think OCmama is probably right about the immune system being lowered because much of the immune system is in the gut.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:46 am

I had that too after Cdiff because of weak immune system . What helped me to get rid of them was L-lysine and Vitamin D.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:54 am

As the others said, canker sores are probably signs of a repressed immune system. Check with doc.

Risible
New User

Postby Risible » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:23 am

Interesting! I had a horrible time with cold sores on my face, in my nose and in my ears before the c—diff symptoms came on. I had to go on valtrex to get it to stop.

I ended up having FMT after almost 4 months of failed rounds of Vanco. I finally started feeling better a week or so after that.

Unfortunately, I caught a cold last weekend, which looks to have turned into a sinus infection and something in my lungs (I know the ‘color’ drill with this stuff). I’m doing my best by using a sinus rinse every 3 hours or so and loads of fluids, and working from home. I’m terrified to go on antibiotics, but also fear this new stuff will get worse without them.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:26 am

I have heard that ENTs sometimes put an antibiotic directly into the sinuses. Not sure how it is done, but if you have an ENT you can ask about it. If you wind up having to take an antibiotic see if you can take something that is less likely to cause c diff like doxycycline, erythromycin or Zpak, even sulfa. Hope you feel better soon. Lots of nasty stuff going around still. My 97 year old mom just had pneumonia and had to take an antibiotic. She has had c difficile in the past too.

Risible
New User

Postby Risible » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:28 am

Thank you for that idea, Beth! I had no idea! I do have an ENT, because I had sinus surgery two years ago. Thankfully that helped so much. I’ll call the office on Monday if I still can’t kick this by then.

Thanks again for mentioning this!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”