Tooth Extraction

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Zkelly10
Brand New Poster

Tooth Extraction

Postby Zkelly10 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:18 pm

Hey everyone,

I’m going to have to have a baby tooth extracted that’s been bothering me for a while. My dentist was about to put me on antibiotics (I think prophalaticly) but I told him I’ve had cdiff twice in the past and he decided it was best not too. I go to see the oral surgeon next week and I’m afraid that he’ll want to give me antibiotics after the procedure. Has anyone here ever had a tooth Extraction or dental surgery and not taken antibiotics after? I’ve read that in a lot of cases oral antibiotics are probably not needed but just given in the low likelihood that an infection could develop.

Ca5per03
Regular User

Re: Tooth Extraction

Postby Ca5per03 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:22 pm

I've had 5( two had previously been infected and 3 wisdom teeth) teeth pulled and was never given antibiotics, I never took the pain meds either. Just swish with salt water and keep food out of the extraction site. Chewing on the opposite side will help. No fruits with seeds, no nuts, and I learned the hard way, no oatmeal it got stuck under my stitches.
30, female
C-diff positive 10/19 tested negative 11/26

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:00 am

Dentists' "preventive" use of antibiotics is a common reason why people get C. diff. Always a good idea to question whether an antibiotic is actually needed -- so much of the time, it isn't -- vs. being prescribed "just in case." The latter is no longer sufficient reason to take the risk.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:40 am

If the dentist insists you are given a prescription its YOUR decision if you take them!
In UK a dentist rarely prescribed antibiotics, not even if there's a minor infection.
You called it a baby tooth, how old are you?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:14 am

I just had a tooth extraction done by an oral surgeon due to an infection. We had a long talk before the procedure about my CDIFF history, he was able to clean the infection out and it had not reached the bone. I did not have to take antibiotics

Wishing you the best

NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:45 am

In Romania tooth extractions are done without antibiotics. No antibiotics are given unless there are complications like laborious extraction , gum abcess etc. I had all my dental work done without antibiotics and everything went well.

Zkelly10
Brand New Poster

Postby Zkelly10 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:47 am

Thank y’all for the responses! They are very helpful. I thought it was just for preventive reasons but was just curious.

shooten
Regular User

Postby shooten » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:05 pm

I am in a similar boat. I need to have my wisdom teeth removed some time this year. I have been doing a lot of research and my Doctor wants me to run anything by him first. I do know there are antibiotic mouthwashes out there that Dentists can prescribe if you need something to help with healing. If you have to take an antibiotic ask about doxycycline. There are papers that say it is very low on the list of antibiotics that can cause C Diff.

Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Postby Ismaila » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:50 pm

I am originally from eastern Europe. For years, whenever I had to have a tooth extracted ( maybe three times in my life), I was NEVER given antibiotic. It was not a protocol there at the time ( 70s and 80s). I never had any problems - my mom used to give me liquid food for 2 days ( soups), and prepare antiseptic tea to rinse all the time.

I think antibiotics in dental procedures - just in case - are protocol here to protect dentists, not patients.

Just sharing my opinion and my experience.

Best to you,
Ismaila

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:53 am

My daughter had wisdom teeth removed (they were impacted) without antibiotics and my husband had a tooth removed without them too. He had a slight infection that the dentist cleaned out thoroughly and he used Peridex oral rinse and had no problems.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:49 pm

I had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled years ago without antibiotics - no problem. (This was before c diff.) my son recently had his pulled without an antibiotic and no problem.

Ask about Peridex - a liquid antibiotic with little absorption - if you are still concerned. It will work for slight infections - but not serious.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”