FMT last Thursday

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
Napper
Regular User

FMT last Thursday

Postby Napper » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:46 pm

I had my FMT this past Thursday. So it's been three days. First day afterwards, my stomach made loud, churning noises. I didn't feel sick. Yesterday and today, all's quiet. I haven't had a BM yet. I guess that's good? How long should I wait to have one before letting the Dr know?

I went out to eat for the first time since getting sick on Nov. 4. It was nice getting out without worrying about there being a toilet nearby.

Praying this did the job!!

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Re: FMT last Thursday

Postby MrsM25 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:52 pm

Glad to hear you got the FMT Napper! Wishing you lots of luck. Mine is scheduled for 1/5/18.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:42 pm

Congratulations Napper! It sounds like you are responding well. I can tell you I actually ended up with some bad constipation after my FMT. It was weird to go to the other extreme. And my pushing muscles after 7 months of recurrent C Diff and D or soft BM's, were really out of shape if you catch my drift. I ended up and just ate some very high fiber cereal, and it worked. At this point, make sure to eat as many fruits and vegetable as you can tolerate to feed your donor bacteria. Anything on the "prebiotic" food list is a good idea, asparagus, onions, semi-green bananas. My doctor recommended a diet of 70% fruits and vegetables, and to keep drinking kefir and eating yogurt, but no pill probiotics. Everyones's doctor seems to give different recommendations. I can tell you mine worked, so maybe the diet contributed! Also, keep in mind though, people do commonly have some weird bowel activity after FMT's. It may be "different" than what is normal for you - sounds, color, activity, sensations. I told my nurse I felt like I had someone else's intestines, and it was a whole new adventure. LOL. I noticed I had way more energy and a feeling of well being after my FMT also. Hopefully you will experience this :-)

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:41 am

I did not go for 3 or 4 days after my FMT. Remember the colonoscopy cleans you out, so there is not much left. I would go easy on eating raw vegetables, fruit, salads. Start with small portions and see how you do. Many don't tolerate them for a while. Same with dairy. If you have no issues, then keep adding. Hopefully, you won't get food intolerances. I did, but everyone is different.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:11 am

Glad you had your FMT and you are feeling fine. Be carefull about your food choices because even though your FMT cured the infection it didn't cure the IBS , it can flare up anytime .

FrankS
Regular User

Postby FrankS » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:35 am

Best of luck to you Napper. The FMT has the best chance of working. You might have ups and downs afterwards, so don't stress out too much. I second what MKW said about the diet. My doctor said no probiotics for 60-90 days after the procedure.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:10 pm

Hi Napper, how are you feeling since your FMT? People can have such a variety of symptoms for weeks afterwards. Hope all is well! - Melanie

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:04 pm

Some docs recommend fiber. Ask yours. Most do not recommend probiotics.

Best of luck. Hope this is your answer.

Napper
Regular User

Postby Napper » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:01 pm

I am doing wonderful! No symptoms since the FMT. Solid Stools!
My question is why am I not to take probiotics afterwards? Don't I want to keep good germs? And fight off the bad ones?

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:48 am

Hi, my understanding about probiotics is that you don’t want competing bacteria. You want the stool transplant bacteria to thrive and repopulate the colon. What you want to do is feed the bacteria from the transplant, so eat as many fruits and veggies as possible. My doctor did recommend kefir and yogurt, but no pill probiotics.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:16 pm

Probiotics are not normal or natural gut flora, they are temporary residents added in pill form.
You had the ultimate probiotic, an FMT!
You don't want to mess around with it.
Study "prebiotics" but try to get it from natural food.

Return to “FMT Discussion”