Probiotics after treatment...thoughts?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Azxtina
Brand New Poster

Probiotics after treatment...thoughts?

Postby Azxtina » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:53 pm

Hello, newbie here. I am a 48 year old nurse, now recovering from a severe Clindamycin-induced C Diff colitis that landed me in the hospital for 9 days. I just got out 5 days ago. The GI doc there (who worked miracles IMO) took me off probiotics as he stated they can worsen the infection temporarily. He said when Vanco is done ( today thank God) I could go back on. My question for the group is: which are best, are there any shown harmful? What are the thoughts on digestive enzymes? I do not follow up with GI but family medicine, but not for several more days. Any thoughts, info helpful. TIA :)

Mindy
Regular User

Re: Probiotics after treatment...thoughts?

Postby Mindy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:09 pm

I take 1 Florastor, 1 Dr. Formulated 50 billion for women and eat a fermented pickle daily. Had fmt in June 2015. Best of luck.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:10 pm

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

There is a great difference of opinion when it comes to Probiotics. My GI had me on them DURING CDIFF, and then said once I completed my final Taper they were a "waste of money" . I have continued on with VSL#3 which is the one I took twice a day during CDIFF but now take 1/day. A lot of posters on the site take Florester during CDIFF, I was not able to take it but certainly would have at the time. I also eat Activia everyday which helps the Post CDIFF IBS I have been dealing with.

I am sure other's will jump in here. We have a lot of nurses including myself who end up with this and it can be a very rough road. Glad to hear you are now doing better as you complete your treatment.

NanciT

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:25 pm

Hi Azxtina!

9 days in the hospital! Wow! Sorry that you went thru such a horrible time with C-diff. Glad that you are doing better! :)

According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Saccharomyces Boulardii, which is in Florastor, is effective against acute and chronic gastrointestinal diseases. In fact, it has been shown to be effective against C-diff.

Here is the link to the NIH article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3296087/

I relapsed after 14 days of flagyl, then relapsed after 14 days of vancomycin, and then took 14 days of vancomycin followed by tapering, during which time I took five of Saccharomyces Boulardii + MOS, 5 Billion; === two of Dr. Tobias Deep Immune; === one of Dr. Tobias 30 Billion CFUs, 10 Strains Probiotics for Women and Men; === one of NOW 25 Billion Probiotic-10; === 5000 iu vit d3. Sadly, I relapsed again!

I then was given 10 days of dificid, 200mg, twice per day, which worked at getting rid of my C-diff infection! I am about three months post dificid without any restrictions, or uncomfortable or nasty symptoms. During the dificid I also took the same probiotics, and continue to take the same probiotics except I only take two Saccharomyces Boulardii.

I don't know how much the probiotics have helped me to fully recover from C-diff, if at all, but I do believe that they are beneficial.

Kefir is supposed to be an excellent source of probiotics.

Wishing you a full and permanent recovery, Bob!
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:16 am

Never heard about a probiotic to make the infection worse. The only probiotic that was designed to be taken along with meds for Cdiff is the Florastor witch is a friendly yeast that the antibiotic won't kill.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:06 pm

Funny this should come up now.
From another nurse, who also got c diff from clindamycin.

I just had my routine 6 month follow up with my GI for PI IBS. I have been taking Align in the morning and Florastor in the evening and just bought $150. worth of Align on sale at Costco. I asked him if Align is still best for IBS and he told me if the IBS is controlled (with other meds) not to take probiotics and save them in case I ever have to take antibiotics in which case I should take Florastor 2x per day.

Of course, this is after I have now recovered from c diff quite a while ago.
Also never heard of probiotics making infection worse btw.

Another opinion.

Rita

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:40 am

I have had two GI's and both believe that probiotics help to ward off c-diff. My first GI, who I was using while battling c-diff 3 years ago, recommended VSL-3, which is what I took during the infection. However after reading on this site, Florastor came highly suggested as it's a yeast probiotic, called sacchromyces boulardii that does not get killed off by meds. In recovery, I added Florastor, so I took one VSL-3 and 1-Florastor daily. I also ate yogurts with live cultures and drank Kefir daily for quite some time after c-diff. I am one that believes that probiotics helped me to get rid of c-diff. I only relapsed once and a 14 day course of vanco cured me. I still take one probiotic daily - I alternate between culturelle and Florastor. For me, probiotics also help to ward off chronic yeast infections that I used to get prior to c-diff. They absolutely have helped me with that - no doubt. Everybody has different opinions on probiotics, but I am one that believes that they are beneficial.

Lisa

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:47 am

A non-mainstream internist whom I see periodically recommended Florastor prior to a hip replacement that I had a little over a year ago. He said it was the only probiotic that had scientific studies supporting its efficacy for prevention of C. diff relapse in hospitalized patients, which I was worried about because a wide-spectrum antibiotic is administered via IV during and immediately after hip surgery. I took one capsule of Florastor for about six weeks prior to the surgery and two caps during the few weeks immediately preceding it. Whether due to the Florastor or not I've no idea, but I didn't get C. diff despite the IV antibiotic and three days of being in the hospital (both of which are risk factors). Several months after the surgery, my GI doctor suggested discontinuing the Florastor, which I've done, but I still take VSL#3 daily.

I hope you'll fill out an Adverse Event form about your experience with clindamycin on the FDA website; you can access the form via the link following this post. I, too, got C. diff following a course of clindamycin. The drug is still prescribed much too freely by doctors and dentists, so it's important for patients to submit data that will hopefully lead to the FDA's strengthening the warnings about it.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Azxtina
Brand New Poster

Postby Azxtina » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:31 am

Thank you Mindy. I also started Florastor & bought some fermented pickles which are absolutely divine :-)

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:57 pm

Are those Bubbies pickles? My daughter ate them through recovery and loved them. They are delicious! She would even drink a small shot of the pickle juice once in a while.

Good luck with your recovery!

Benh
Contributor

Postby Benh » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:54 pm

I still take 2 florastor a day and drink about 16 oz of kefir a day. My last vancomycin taper pill was on July 4th. I plan to continue for a while. Best of luck to you.

Mindy
Regular User

Postby Mindy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:58 pm

Yes, they are Bubbies pickles. However, sometimes I eat a tablespoon or two of fermented sauerkraut instead. I LOVE Farm Culture brand the best.

Mindy
Regular User

Postby Mindy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:11 pm

Yes, Bubbies pickles. I also switch it up with fermented Farm Culture sauerkraut, yum!

Azxtina
Brand New Poster

Postby Azxtina » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:47 pm

Yes they are Bubbles. Delicious!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”