GI or ID

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Napper
Regular User

GI or ID

Postby Napper » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:54 pm

Which Dr is best? My GI Dr gave up and sent me to the ID who I can't get into until the 12th. Until then, I'm tapering off Vanco. As I'm tapering off, my D is getting worse. When would they retest? Im pretty Sure if they retest now it would come back positive. How long do I keep having D 5-6 x per day, if not more, until something is done? I feel like I was thrown to the wolves. I'm debating about going to the ER tomorrow to get hydrated and some nausea/cramping meds. But, I'd have to go alone as hubby had to go care for his mother. I'm tired of trying to do this by myself. I feel discouraged, lonely and just plain sad.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: GI or ID

Postby NanciT » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:30 am

If you feel you are dehydrated, go to the ER. I would explain to the Er doctor you are waiting to get in with the ID. You can ask them to call the ID, or call your GI if they cannot get you into one.

The other option is to call the ID office and explain how ill you are and ask if they can get you inn ASAP. You cannot be tested while on Vancomycin. Often most doctors do not test at all, they treat symptoms.

I know how frustrating this is but you do not want to get dehydrated
Make sure you are drinking "Smart water" with electrolytes

Sorry you are going through this, and being stuck between MD's is terrible when you feel so ill!!

NanciT

Napper
Regular User

Postby Napper » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:13 pm

Went to the ER on Sunday. Was hydrated and told to call my GI for Dificid. I did and am now on it. Now I'm worried because I wad reading that it's not the third line of defense like I thought . Was told if this doesn't work it's the FMT for me. Not happy about that.

maxny2
New User

Postby maxny2 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:45 pm

That's great, you should breathe a sigh of relief that you are on Dificid. Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:47 pm

Glad to hear you are on Dificid! Give it a chance. There are many of us who finally got rid of it with Dificid

It takes time, make sure to keep hydrated. I hope you feel better soon!

NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:32 am

Good to hear you were able to get Dificid , hope it will work it's magic and you won't need the FMT. Hope you get relief of symptoms soon!

Napper
Regular User

Postby Napper » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:44 am

Thank you! I should still be taking probiotics, right?
I guess I can understand Drs hesitation in prescribing Dificid, as it cost $4300!! I am fortunate that I have paid my $6,000 out of pocket max for the year so I paid zero for the Dificid. The end of the year is always a good time to have anything major happen. LOL!

Thank you all for your support. I don't think I would have gotten through this without this board!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:36 am

Definitely take your probiotics but don't overdo it . Just take whatever you have been taken until now.

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:39 pm

Well, how is the Dificid working so far? Hope you are feeling better.

Hellerhs
New User

Postby Hellerhs » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:36 pm

Never heard of Dificid, is it good? I finished my 4 x day Flagyl round on Monday and it made a mess of my stomach! I'm trying to get into a GI guy for follow up. Family Dr put me on anti diarrhea medication and was aware it could be CDiff!

Napper
Regular User

Postby Napper » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:27 am

This is day three of taking Dificid. So far, my D is still quite an issue. As are the loud tummy noises and pain. I go 6-7 x daily. I'm SO tired of going. I'm afraid to go anywhere in case. But, this morning I have 2 Dr appts. And I really want to go Christmas shopping at one store where I have a gift certificate. It's so sad that doing normal things like that is hard.
Anyhow, Mr GI Dr told me to let him know how I feel after a week of taking the Dificid. I really want this gone before Christmas! It seems to be worse than at Thanksgiving. At least then I could eat and not worry about going right away. It seems that when I start tapering off of Vanco that the D starts up again.

So, by next Tuesday I'll know if this worked or not. Next step the FMT. Which I highly doubt will be done before Christmas.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”