Will anything ever work?!

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Re: Will anything ever work?!

Postby MrsM25 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:11 am

I would agree with you Roy in many ways except I spike a fever each time and the doctor didn’t seem to think that this is just Pi-IBS. I even waited before I started this course of vanco because I got a fever first before the D and the last relapse I got D first. Once the D started again and my fever was getting higher, I started this course of vanco again.

ID doctor won’t see me without a referral from the GI.

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:03 pm

Hi MrsM25! So sorry that you are suffering so much with C-diff and with your current GI. It is a shame that jerks like your current GI chose medicine for his occupation. Guys like him really anger me. I hope that he contracts your C-diff so he can learn what it is like!

My doctors would not put me on a vancomycin taper, but I had enough vancomycin to do my own tapering. So, I did it. At the same time I took 1¼ grams of Jarrow Formulas Saccharomyces Boulardii (5 capsules). I also took one Dr. Tobias Deep Immune probiotics; and one Dr. Tobias 30 Billion CFUs probiotics; and one NOW 25 Billion Probiotic-10 plus multivitamins and 3000 mg omega3, all of which I am still taking. The only supplement or probiotic that I've researched, that is effective against C-diff is Saccharomyces Boulardii.

My vancomycin taper was not successful. My doctor then prescribed 10 days of dificid, which I took along with the probiotics. That worked! I am now almost three months post-dificd, without any symptoms, discomfort or restrictions.

Is there any way at all that you could call up your GI and demand, or plead with him for a dificid prescription? He has nothing to lose and you have everything to gain. Perhaps you will catch him in a caring mood.

Best of luck and recovery, Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:44 pm

Thank you Bob! I called the GI back and left a message for them. I let them know that I’ve been having some side effects from the Vanco 250mg which I wasn’t having with the 125mg so I was just curious what his thoughts were with that and I brought the dificid up again. We will see what they say.

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:17 pm

Hi MrsM25!

Brilliant!

The only thing that I find wrong with your solution is that I didn't think of it first! :)

Rooting for you and a dificid prescription!

Regards, Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:34 pm

Carefull with saying you have side effects, one day you might need a med and they rule it out because your records say your alergic.
Vanco is a VERY important antibiotic!
Unless your still having copious watery D the vanco is working, give it a chance.

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:35 pm

Roy, if you ever have the same problems, just tell the doctor that you think that it wasn't the 250mg vancomycin that gave you problems, it was probably the ultra-hot jalapeño chicken wings that you ate that night! They'll just think that you are just another stupid patient and give you a vancomycin rx.
Male 77 S.Florida

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:19 pm

Well Roy, I totally agree with you but it isn’t a lie, I really am having side effects from the new dose of vanco that I wasn’t having with the lesser dose so I thought he better just be aware of it. Not to just try to get switched off of it because it does work while I’m on it, I just relapse right after. He said that he is changing my FMT to January 5th and keeping me on the vanco until then. Thanks for all of the advice. Happy for the FMT. Praying this works

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:29 am

MrsM25
If you feel that Vanco is not working for you try to push for Dificid.

acure
New User

Postby acure » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:48 pm

Hello,
I'm a little new here. Please have hope.
If you look for the research, several studies have been published showing a reversal rate of around 90% using two FMTs for recurrent C. Diff. The NCBI site is an excellent source. Dr. Brandt, New York, published a 98% success rate with 2 consecutive FMTs for C. Diff. So, there is hope. Yes, FMTs are an emerging science.

Please, encourage your gastroenterologist to attend the AGA national symposium coming up on Jan 18th thru the 20th, 2018 in Las Vegas.
This symposium will discuss the newest insight into procedures for FMTs.

{AGA Center for Gut Microbiome Research and Education, for "A Clinicians Guide to FMT". }

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:11 am

Acure, please read Rules for Posting.

You should not be quoting new protocols or theories on new modes of treatment nor encouraging attendance at conferences. That is not our job here. We are a support site and we pass along our own experiences, suggestions and knowledge based on those experiences and what we have learned as a result. Any new articles are not quoted but are to be shared via a hyperlink. Again, you will find that in the Rules for Posing, the first thread which you were asked to read when you were welcomed to the site.

Thank you for your enthusiasm but the rules are in place for the protection, safety and fairness of all.
Rita

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:43 pm

Acure,
Welcome to the site. How did u find out about it? Are uninvolved in the conferences and did someone give you permission to do do so?

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”