Another relapse? I'm not sure

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Ygy
Regular User

Another relapse? I'm not sure

Postby Ygy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:55 am

Hi!

This is my first time posting here. I am a otherwise healthy and fit 31 year old female. I'm currently 14 weeks pregnant.

5 years ago in December 2013, I was 26 years old and 6 months pregnant with my first child. I'm an RN and at the time I was currently working (I'm a stay at home mom now). As an RN I was often exposed to Cdiff but was able to take precautions. However one day at work in dec 2013 I was still battling morning sickness and I was sick the first few hours of my shift. I noticed a coworker also running to the bathroom and I asked if she was ok. She told me she was recovering from cdiff... I used the visitors restroom the rest of the day and tried not to worry.

The very next night I woke up vomiting profusely. Every 2 hours I was vomiting and almost couldn't breathe. Only had D once though. Went to the ER and I told them about the coworker and made them test me. They told me I didn't have cdiff but I knew better. I had a high fever, was severely dehydrated, BP was dangerously low and HR was high. Took a few more hours for me to even send a sample. That was only my 2 time having D.
Test came back positive for cdiff. Treated me with 2 doses of IV flagyl before my husband noticed (he's an Nurse Practitioner) and reminded them I was pregnant. Switched me to oral Vancomycin. My stools were firm the next day. It took me 4 days in the hospital to regain strength but I went home on the Vancomycin for 10 more days and NEVER had any more problems. Emotionally and mentally I was left with a lot of trauma, but I told myself as long as I was physically healthy I was ok.

Fast forward 5 years later... I'm living life normally, I have 2 beautiful kids! Still very diligent about hand washing and still bleach my toilet after a BM. Still afraid of public toilets and I didn't return to nursing as I think I have anxiety from hospitals/fear of caring for a cdiff patient.

July of 2017, I have a UTI and I'm terrified to take antibiotics, even though it was 5 years ago. I wait as long as I can to heal it naturally but the doctors are pressuring me. I take a Macrobid for 5 days with Florastor. 2 weeks later I have D maybe 1-2 times a day for five days and then my stools returned to normal and formed. My inlaws had just had a stomach flu and I told myself it was that and I was being too paranoid.

Here's where it gets confusing, for the next month I would either have a formed stool for a few days and then have a bout of D for a day. It was very sporadic and confusing. I went to the GI and he said I had IBS. I told him of my history with cdiff and he assured me this was not that. I asked for a test anyways just to ease my mind. Lo and behold test came back POSITIVE.

I started a 14 day course of oral suspension Vanco and felt better on day 2-3. My nightmare was back . But I was trying to stay positive for my family. The OCD symptoms returned. Using gloves in the bathroom, bleaching everything. Gloves to cook. Showering after each BM. After the meds I felt great and BMs returned to normal.

10 days later... Had a loose stool. Next day had D twice and I just knew. I had to wait a few more days to see the ID doctor but she agreed to test me again. Even though I retired to my confusing pattern of one day a formed BM and the next day D a few times or just soft stool. The test came back POSITIVE again!
I consoled myself and said I had been sick for over 5 weeks with cdiff and I didn't know it, maybe 14 day treatment wasn't enough. Started on a 6 week Vanco taper. The next day after my relapse diagnosis I found out I was pregnant! I was overwhelmed yo say the least and I went into a deep depression for a few days. Thankfully a lot of prayer and turning to God helped me realize I was gonna be ok.

It's now October and I'm 4 weeks into the taper and my stools are formed but soft and have not returned to normal. Still have the rumbling in my stomach and bad gas. I still feel off. My doctor agrees to do the last 10 days of my taper with dificid.

Day 2 of dificid I feel better. Stools are formed and normal. Eating whatever I want. Feel great. Finished the dificid and felt great!

NOW HERES MY QUESTION:

I've been off the dificid for 14 days. It's Sunday today and on Thursday I felt a little weird. BMs once a day and formed and normal. Saturday I had a bit of cramping and 1 soft stool and then 1 small D. My stomach is rumbling and I have gas.

Could this be a relapse?!?! I might be jumping the gun but this feels similar to the last relapse and I want to be practical and proactive. I'm 14 weeks pregnant and have 2 young kids to care for. Mentally I can't go through this again. I've read about other pregnant posters who kept relapsing and didn't heal until they had their baby.

I'm not even sure what the next course of action is. Maybe a dificid taper?? My ID doc is at Mayo Clinic but honestly seems scared to treat me bc I'm pregnant. She will not do an FMT. Should I get a second opinion??

Thank you:)

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Another relapse? I'm not sure

Postby NanciT » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:44 am

Hello Ygy and Welcome to the site

Please read the first thread for all new posters. From reading your history, your symptoms have not been typical, but there are several who don't have the typical D including myself. I also had terrible vomiting with CDIFF and at most 3-4 D in the am only. That has been my experience and it did return the same with each relapse I had. As you know, there are many strains out there and I am a nurse also so it makes me wonder.

Currently you are post Dificid and you didn't mention the vomiting this time. I will tell you I felt MUCH worse when I went off Dificid, I found it harsh to take(during taper) and then felt my symptoms were worse off the medication which for me was Post IBS.

In your case, you are pregnant and may be far more sensitive to IBS coming off these medications. I would go very slowly here and give your gut time to heal. Stick with a bland diet, talk with your OB so you are getting everything you need during the pregnancy.

I understand the fear, and it must be far more difficult while pregnant. What it does sound like is Post IBS and the symptoms can last for some time.

If you feel better getting a 2nd opinion, I would maybe just to have another GI reassure you especially during the pregnancy.

Sorry you are going through all of this, hopefully you will see your symptoms improve. Take it day by day

NanciT

Ygy
Regular User

Postby Ygy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:20 pm

Hi NanciT,

Thank you so much for your reply! No I was lucky to not have vomiting this time. Just D maybe 2-3 times a day for just one day and would alternate b/t formed stools and soft stools. Since my symptoms were so unclear I'm afraid of any irregularity. But I know that's to be expected at one time or another. Although since my initial episode 5 years ago I had D maybe 4-5 times(and 1 short stomach flu) in 5 years. Yes I kept count because I would be terrified each time. I avoided any and all foods which I thought might make me sick i.e. fried foods, fast food, too much dairy, too much fiber or anything lily or greasy.

I guess my question is how do I decipher between true cdiff relapse or PI ibs? If my symptoms continue I will get retested of course. I'm guessing cdiff is more relentless and IBS is more sporadic? That makes me nervous bc my GI thought I had ibs bc symptoms were sporadic . When in actuality I had cdiff the whole time.

Anyways thank you so much for taking the time to answer me! I appreciate it:)

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Postby Davidtm » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:40 pm

I was always told that irritable bowel is good days and bad days. Cdiff is bad days then worse days that only treatment can turn around. I know everyone is different and this disease presents in a variety of ways so it's best to get a Drs advice. I have had bags days and good days for the last 10 months. I don't get tested because things eventually go back to more normal. I worry that if I did test now I might test positive if I'm now a carrier. And irritable bowel or something I ate could cause me to be tested with inaccuracies. So puzzling on how to proceed sometimes. That's what the 3 day rule is for. Hope it's just a few off days for you and that things will swing back to normal.
Hope you feel better soon!

Ygy
Regular User

Postby Ygy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:05 pm

DavidTm,

Thank you so much for responding! You're right it is confusing:/. I'm especially confused bc I had ok days and bad days and then I had rate days of formed stools before my initial diagnosis (which my GI thought was IBS). But I tested positive and I immediately got better with treatment. At first I wondered if I just tested positive as a carrier(had a short stint 5 years ago but was cured very quick). But since my bowels responded to treatment and I returned to normal on the meds, I do think it was a true diagnosis.

But I guess the time I relapsed my symptoms (while mild) kept getting a little bit worse each day. It's also hard to say too because I am pregnant and I had really bad morning sickness too. Thankfully the morning sickness is mostly gone , do that is not an issue.

Thank you again- I truly appreciate the advice:):)

Ygy
Regular User

Postby Ygy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:09 pm

Update:

No D today and just one formed BM! Thank the Lord, I think I just got nervous. After I relapsed that has set my nerves on edge. So far this is not a relapse but I believe a food sensitivity and eating too many BBQ chips. Prayerfully I'll continue to improve without relapse and figure out this diet thing.

Thanks for the advice!:)

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:25 pm

great! Well BBQ chips! Yikes! I am sure they would make me sick. Try and go easy on the diet for awhile

Happy things have improved!

NanciT

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:51 am

Hi Ygy!

Best of luck with your pregnancy and your health!

And, congratulations on resuming more normal potties!

I'm 73. In all my years I never dreamed that I would be discussing or applauding the potties of some stranger perhaps thousands of miles away!

Nevertheless, great news! Now... please pass the BBQ chips! :)

Regards, Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”