Scared the test are throwing false negatives

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Ca5per03
Regular User

Scared the test are throwing false negatives

Postby Ca5per03 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:06 pm

Hello again, I ended up going to the er this morning cause I was passing very watery stools, I've had about 9 so far and it's 5pm est. They tested a sample and it came back negative and all my blood work came back perfect. This afternoons test was my 5th negative, for A and B. I had two negatives while on vancomycin, one two days after the medicine, one 9 days after the medicine and today I've been off medicine for 16 days, could it be false negatives still? Or could this be pi-ibs? They recommend me getting a colonoscopy. I already have a endoscopy scheduled for next month and they said to try and get the colonoscopy on the same day. I'm super scared that the prep will cause a relapse, could a relapse be possible even though I've tested negative 5 times already? They did send me home with other stool tests for other stuff, and I'm hoping I'll be able to go number 2 so I can bring them back in the morning. Sorry for being all over the place, I'm super paranoid and worried somethings being missed
30, female
C-diff positive 10/19 tested negative 11/26

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Scared the test are throwing false negatives

Postby beth22 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:17 pm

It is possible you have some other pathogen. I had campylobacter after c difficile and the symptoms were similar. I assume they are doing a stool culture and maybe one for ova and parasites. The test could be a false negative, but if you are having that much D, it probably wouldn't be. Are you eating dairy? Some people can't tolerate it anymore and it gives D.

Ca5per03
Regular User

Postby Ca5per03 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:27 pm

I drink almond milk cause regular milk always messed with me, I did drink skim milk yesterday morning, and I was an idoit and ate Chinese food last night. They are checking for those things, the bowels have slowed down and haven't gone in over an hour, but am cramping now. I had chicken, rice, carrots and bread for dinner, hoping tomorrow I'll be better. This, as you know is messing with my head, BAD.

How do they treat those if I do test positive?
30, female

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:18 am

If you test positive, I would ask for Dificid. People have done very well on it.

Ca5per03
Regular User

Postby Ca5per03 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:15 am

I tested negative for c diff yesterday, that works on the other stuff too? I was able to have a bowel movement this morning, and it's was completely solid, looked like there was orange or red in it, but I think it was just the carrots from last night. I'm going to try and believe yesterday was just the Chinese food and skim milk.
30, female

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:21 am

It was probably what you ate. I could not tolerate ANY dairy after c diff, not even yogurt. Many others had the same problem. I would try to introduce new foods slowly and one at a time. Stay away from raw vegetables and fruit for a while until you feel better.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:49 am

People that don't even suffer with Cdiff have issues tolerating raw milk , with Cdiff as you probably know everything is worse. I would stay on a bland diet for a couple of days until things calm down and then reintroduce new food very very slow. Try to stay away from foods that are hard to digest until your gut is healed , excess sugar , fast food , high fiber , alcohol will flare up IBS.

Ca5per03
Regular User

Postby Ca5per03 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:11 pm

I've never had ibs before. Today hasn't been a good day, my stools have some shape to them, but loose. I've gone like 5 times since 430 am, super tired, and I'm cramping, I was an idoit and had my iud taken out a few weeks ago in stead if just waiting till January. I had my endoscopy moved to February so they can do a colonoscopy at the same time, and this has got me bugged. I hope it doesn't trigger c diff and I get c diff again.

I wish this nightmare would just be over
30, female

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:41 pm

It takes time for the gut to heal, for some of us we did not have IBS before CDIFF, but I certainly have it now. It has taken me a very long time to get back to a regular diet, some go back right away. I could eat most things while on Vanco and Dificid, it was when I went off it that the Post IBS started with me.

Take your time, try starting with a bland diet and add foods. If you have added something and have a bad day, cut that out for awhile and try again.

Very happy the test was negative!!

NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:25 am

Casper
Most of the people here never had gut issues until Cdiff started , most of us were perfectly healthy with guts of steele. After Cdiff most of us were left with IBS and not only IBS but a lot more health problems ,low immune system , psychiatric disorders like depression-anxiety and panic attacks etc etc. My point is that for some of us nothing will be the same at it was used to be before, and we should all start accepting that and change some of our old habbits.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”