Am I just being paranoid?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Ca5per03
Regular User

Am I just being paranoid?

Postby Ca5per03 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:15 pm

It's been a little over 72 hours since my last dose if vancomycin. Saturday and Sunday I was able to go to the bathroom, but I had to push more than normal. I've been going like 8 times in a day, but it's not been water, but softer stool. I've been up for 5 hours and I've gone about 5 times, still soft, but getting looser as I go more. I've been drinking at leat 64oz if water. And I'm nauseous. I still have lower back pain and am still kinda crampy. I'm feeling weak and tired and have a headache. Is this just part of the healing process or should i push for a retest? Thanks in advance

Edit*
The bowel movements have stopped so far for the day, but now I have pain in my upper left abdomen by the base of the rib. Anyone else feel pain there? I do have a doctors appointment tomorrow morning. I think I I have a sinus infection, and of course have post c diff questions.
30, female
C-diff positive 10/19 tested negative 11/26

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Am I just being paranoid?

Postby NanciT » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:43 pm

Hi and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

We can only offer our own experiences, glad you are seeing the GI. If you are not having diarrhea, that is a good sign but as far as the rest of your symptoms its good to review with your GI and have an exam.

I did not relapse for 2-3 weeks each time, everyone is different.

Let us know how it goes, hope you are feeling better soon!

NanciT

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:13 pm

I occasionally get same pain. No doc has been able to tell me what it is. Check with your own doc - maybe have better luck.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:37 am

If you are still having high frequency , loose stool and abdominal discomfort you might need to be checked by your doctor. Although is great that you are not having WD , the frequency is a bit concerning , not all Cdiff patients had WD when Cdiff was active. Don't know what to say about testing so soon after treatment , testing can come back false negative , doc say that is best to wait at least 2 weeks after treatment to get tested and if the patient is dealing with all the classic symptoms they should be treated based on their symptoms. Go see your doctor and talk to him about your status and see what he recommends.
Also , are you keeping a bland diet? Are you taking any probiotics?

Ca5per03
Regular User

Postby Ca5per03 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:14 pm

Thanks to those who have reached out and offered advice!!

I saw the doctor this morning and she does think it's a start of sinuses infection and would explain the headache, pressure and sore throat, but since both of us don't want to be out on antibiotics right now, she percribed a Nasal spray, and we hope this and a humidifier it will go away on its own!

I asked her about spores, and she said they don't grow unless they get inside a body. She said they don't last years, but can last awhile. She doesn't know if the pain is due to a possible relapse, could be my body healing, or some other reason. But where I'm having the pain could be caused by a different organ, so she's running some blood work. My blood pressure/ pluse and temp was the lowest it's been in a while. I did get a test to produce another stool sample, so I'll be bringing that in tomorrow morning and will probably hear something by Monday due to they needing to send it out. If this test come back negative it will be the 3rd negative, I had 2 negative tests last week, but I was still on vancomycin.

Ive been eating whatever, and drinking water. I've been taking a probiotic since 10/19 3 hours after I took a dose of medication, and will continue taking it for as long as I can.
30, female

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:34 am

It's not a surprise that you tested negative while on vanco , and soon after treatment you will most likely get the same result. As I said , for accurate test results you need to be off treatment at least 2 weeks.
If you are eating whatever I'm not surprised that you are still having gut discomfort , you really need to eat bland foods , a bland diet helps your gut to heal faster.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:09 am

See CDI Testing before you test again.

Ca5per03
Regular User

Postby Ca5per03 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:29 am

I got my results this morning and this is what they say.

TEST STATUS: FINAL
SPECIMEN SOURCE: STOOL
SPECIMEN QUALITY: ADEQUATE
GDH ANTIGEN: Not Detected
TOXIN A AND B: Not Detected

COMMENT: No toxigenic C. difficile detected
NL1

This was 5 days after my last dose dose of vancomycin. Can vancomycin mask the gdh antigen?
30, female

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:14 pm

Yes testing close to meds is not accurate.
The test shows there's no active c.diff at the time the sample was taken but it does not mean there's no spores that could vegitate after the samples taken and cause a relapse.
Drs are told not to test to see if its gone but if they do (wrongly) test they should wait at least 14 days after meds are finished.
That allows enough time for spores to become active, produce toxins and be detectable.
You can also test positive for a long time after your "cured" so a positive is not proof that treatment is needed.
Testing after treatment is almost useless.
Only the lack of symptoms indicate it's cured.

Ca5per03
Regular User

Postby Ca5per03 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:24 pm

For the last few days I've only gone 2 or 3 times in a day, and the first two are larger amounts and one small one. My back still hurts and my stomach makes noises.

I think we caught it early cause I can only remember 2 days of wd at the beginning. Towards day 9 of metronidazole it was getting loser, but I don't know if that was due to the anxiety medication I took, I haven't taken it since. My stool hasn't changed from stopping the vancomycin, i think it's number 4 on the poop scale.

I'm still very tired, but I wake up throughout the night to go to the bathroom (only number 1) and now I have this sinus infection going on, so I'm double stressed and sm concerned that it won't go away without antibiotics, and as everyone knows that's not the best idea right now. I'm taking muciex, and using afrin and Flonase.

I'm used to being in control and am having a heard time stepping back and let time take its course. My sister said but best "if your going to get it again, it's already in your stars" but it's really hard to let go. I feel like I'm a burden and bothering everyone.
30, female

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:10 pm

Ca5per03 wrote:
> ... and now I have this sinus infection going on,

I suffered, for many years, from sinus infections, one after another. One day, in 2002, I had just finished a round of Amoxicillin after another darn sinus infection, and I could feel another one starting! So... I stupidly and foolishly placed my head down and forcibly squirted a diluted mixture of 3% hydrogen peroxide, kosher salt, baking soda and water into my nose! What an idiot! Reckless! But... it led to the end of my sinus infections.

I certainly don't suggest anyone else try what I did. But, if you are interested in reading about how I did it, I spent countless hours fully documenting my experience and posting it.

I started a thread in "Free Form Discussion" with the title: Had multiple sinus infections each year treated with Amoxicillin, got rid of them FOREVER!

The link is: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19600

Best regards, Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

Ca5per03
Regular User

Postby Ca5per03 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:45 am

I tried Keefer for the first time this morning, I know everyone is different, but if one happened to be intolerant of it, how fast down it normally happen, and what are the signs of intolerance?

I still don't have d, but I still think there soft, and have shape cause it's not a mush pile. No pain besides my headache, sinuses and chest, but that's due to the post nasal drip, I'm going to try a Netipot today. I still can't get it out of my head I'm going to relapse and I'm not cured. This has really messed with my head. How do people start moving on from this?
30, female

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:45 pm

Anxiety goes with the territory with c diff. We all went through it, some of us for a very long time, so you are not alone.
A couple of things...
Roy told you about your testing- your dr does not seem familiar with accepted testing guidelines. Are you seeing a PCP or a GI? If not a GI dr, you might want to consider making an appt with a GI dr for follow up.

It sounds as though you may have PI IBS but a dr would have to see you and diagnose that. It is fairly common after c diff and along with that comes some frequent stools, cramping and food intolerances. Try eating bland foods for a while and avoid high fiber. You can read about it on the site. It takes a while for stools to get back to normal after c diff or there may be a “new normal”.

In the CDI section of this site are suggestions for remedies you can try for sinus infections without taking antibiotics. Some were told to me by my ENT and have worked twice so I did not take antibiotics. You have to be patient and willing to try them. I would go to an ENT and have a culture before I took an antibiotic. Most sinus infections are viral and abx won’t work anyway so you want to be sure.
Rita

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:42 am

Since april 2015 I haven't been able to eat a spoonful of kefir or yogurt without getting very bloated , lots of have , more frequency. I am not lactose intolerant as I eat cheese and butter and I have no problem tolerating them , I just have a problem digesting the kefir/yogurt.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”