How long does colitis last after being diagnosed with C. Diff?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Amb66
New User

How long does colitis last after being diagnosed with C. Diff?

Postby Amb66 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:46 pm

Hi there! I’m a 23 yo female who was diagnosed with c diff 2 weeks ago. I just finished up my last dose of Vanco and overall I’d say I’ve had success with firmer BM’s on that and while taking probiotics but I have IBS and my stomach is sensitive so I’ve had a few days with less success. Anyway, when I was in the hospital I was told I had colitis (which is why there was minimal bleeding) from this and that it would take quite awhile to fully heal. Has anyone else had colitis with bleeding? It’s not every BM and when I have it, it’s very minimal but it still scares me every time despite the fact my doctors were not concerned. Thanks so much for your input! I’m just trying to do everything I can to get better and not relapse.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: How long does colitis last after being diagnosed with C. Diff?

Postby beth22 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:22 am

Hi and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for information for new posters. You can have colitis even without the bleeding and it varies from person to person. Some people get over c difficile with few problems, while others develop food intolerances and IBS. See how you feel when you are finished with your medication. Are you taking any probiotics? Those have helped many.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:30 am

Sorry you have been dealing with CDiff , but it seems like you are one of the lucky 80% majority that get's cured from the first round of meds. Although the treatment was successful and Cdiff is gone , your gut will remain sensitive quite awhile after treatment. As Beth said , there are many types of colitis , some of them come with bleeding and those are usually the inflammatory bowel diseases while other types of colitis come with other symptoms like mucus or just abdominal pain , or there is a chance that you can get bleeding without having colitis.
For now try to be baby your gut , eat bland foods ,stay away from things that might set it off :alcohol , excess sugar , high fiber , and as Beth suggested , try a good probiotic if you can tolerate it.

Amb66
New User

Postby Amb66 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:39 am

Hi Beth, thanks for your reply! Yes I am taking probiotics (5 billion Culturelle and 5 billion saccharomyces boulardii morning and afternoon). Does that sound like enough or should I increase that now that I’ve finished the Vanco?

Georgina, do you know if the colitis will ever go away or is that something I’ll have the rest of my life? I’ve had IBS D for 7 years so I’m used to having to be gentle to my stomach but the thought of having colitis forever really scares me. Thanks for taking the time to respond!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:55 am

Remember that c.diff is the name of the bacteria the full Name of the disease is clostridium difficile colitis.
C.diff is a normal gut inhabitant and when it overgrows it causes a set of symptoms, those symptoms are collectivley known as colitis.
Not all colitis is c.diff but ALL c.diff that causes symptoms IS colitis!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:10 am

It can take some time for the gut to recover and many like myself are left with Post IBS, if you have had it in the past prior to CDIFF it can take some time. I want to point out if bleeding continues go back to your GI and get it checked. It may not always due to the gut and can be a fissure or hemorrhoid that can occur during CDIFF

Hope you feel better soon!
NanciT

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:18 pm

Hi Amb66!

Colitis just means "inflammation of the large intestine". There are several causes of intestine inflammation, including IBS D ("Inflammatory" Bowel Syndrome), allergy, infection, etc. Since you have had IBS-D, or Colitis, for 7 years, one could assume that C-diff has caused additional damage and inflammation.

Do you remember any changes to your environment, diet or lifestyle, 7 years ago, that might have caused the IBS-D?

Can you associate and foods, food additives, drinks, chemicals, allergens, odors, clothes, etc., to worsening or improving your IBS-D? When you leave your home, on vacation, for a few days, or more, does your IBS-D get worse, or better?

Regards, Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

Amb66
New User

Postby Amb66 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:59 pm

Hi bob, it’s definitely food related IBS D. I can almost always relate a food I’ve eaten to the D. Back in March I did an elimination diet and determined (myself) that I am lactose intolerant, which I already knew. But I also thought I may have an issue with HFCS and when I eat too much fruit. That being said, there were still times I would get D and not be able to figure out why. I think post C Diff, I’ve developed a sensitivity to eggs but I’m hoping that goes away quickly as that is one of my favorite foods and main sources of protein

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:10 pm

Sorry to make this correction but it is not Inflammatory Bowel Syndrome-d...it is Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Irritable Bowel Syndrome is a mechanical syndrome and does not cause damage to the intestines although it certainly is disruptive to your life
Inflammatory Bowel Diseases are diseases like Crohn’s and Ulcerative Colitis and they do actually damage the intestines

The terms are quite different but people do get them confused.
We are careful on this site to give accurate information.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:23 pm

Amb66, there are a lot of theories now about causes of IBS-d. It is no longer called colitis. It can be exacerbated after c diff and then called post infectious IBS and can occur with people who have never had it before. I have had IBS with bouts off and on most of my life and have now had PI IBS for several years since IBS. I am also lactose intolerant- I was tested years ago to confirm and use lactaid tablets.

There are many strategies for handling IBS including food management, OTC and prescription medication, etc depending upon triggers and severity. There may be limited or many causes. Work with a good GI dr and be careful to get accurate information.
After c diff, things get confounded because your gut is healing and you often develop food intolerances. A bland diet is probably best for a while and add new foods slowly. High fiber is not your friend.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”