Doxycycline

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Ae123
New User

Doxycycline

Postby Ae123 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:17 am

Has anyone had to take Doxycycline for an extended period of time, such as for Lyme and not relapsed? I'm actually taking it until the end of November because I have a kidney stone causing recurrent UTI's and I have a procedure set for November 21st. (second lithotripsy) I was taking macrobid prophylacticly but that stopped working so I switched to Doxy as it's a low offender.

Acres
Regular Contributor

Re: Doxycycline

Postby Acres » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:45 am

I am having issues with doxy right now....Taking it for lyme...Had to stop....I have to go herbal for the lyme...but even the herbals can mess up the gut bacteria....I have to be careful....
I am giving myself a few days to see if my stool calms down....If it does not I will get tested....Have it set up with my c diff gi from last year...
He told me it is a low offender but any abx can give me a relapse....
I take vsl3 and florastor probiotics.....
D mannose helped me with bladder issues last year...

Ae123
New User

Postby Ae123 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:15 am

I'm taking dmannose powder in my water, but with the stone harboring bacteria I need to take the doxy to prevent any infections that would come of it. I'm just scared because my stools were firming up but now they are loose again. I tested again the end of October and that came back negative but i wasn't on doxy that long before I submitted that test. My doctor isn't the best and is trying to say since I tested negative that I'm not even colonized with cdiff anymore so I'm afraid to ask for another stool test, although I don't see how he can deny that if I start having symptoms.

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:25 pm

If you feel you need another test, you should ask for it....You are in charge of your body....
Maybe you can ask for a "just in case" script, that is what I have....
I use 2 GI doc's, the first I prefer for just c diff and the 2nd for other gut issues....Maybe you can find another doc if you are not happy with the one you are seeing....
Other people here have used doxy and not relapsed...Maybe they will chime in....
I use small quantities of pepto when I have gut issues (ask your doc first)

My GI told me the doxy might give me D but it does not necessarily mean a relapse...I still went nuts (lost it) when my stools went south...
I am sorry you are going through all of this, I understand the anxiety !!!
Scott

Ae123
New User

Postby Ae123 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:38 pm

Thanks! I'm having some stomach rumbling going on but so far only 1 BM today. My doctor won't prescribe on symptoms alone. I need to get a GI. So far I've been on Doxy going on about 3 weeks now.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:11 pm

Doxy is not a big offender and we've had several posters take it for extended periods without a problem.. With c diff, nothing is "for sure" however.

See CDI. There is a lot of info about antibiotics. Best of luck.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”