Recently diagnosed/Stomach virus outbreak

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
slplkaye
Regular User

Recently diagnosed/Stomach virus outbreak

Postby slplkaye » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:40 pm

I was diagnosed with c. diff. last Wednesday and started taking Vancomycin. My symptoms have improved greatly since the second day of meds. I now just have gas and soft stool. I work in a pediatric healthcare setting and we are having a huge stomach virus outbreak right now. I am terrified that I will catch it and will not be able to tell the difference in symptoms of the stomach virus and a possible c diff relapse. I was already an anxious person and this diagnosis has increased my anxiety level 100 times over. I have bleached until my hands are bleeding. I am washing my laundry separately, will not let my children or husband near my bathroom. I don't even want to hug anyone! I was looking forward to the end of my Vancomycin Saturday morning, but the closer it gets the more nervous I get about a relapse. Would I be able to tell the difference between a stomach virus and c. diff. if I were to catch what's going around? Would a stool sample yield accurate results at this point?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Recently diagnosed/Stomach virus outbreak

Postby beth22 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:24 pm

If you are on vanco, the stool result would probably not be accurate. If you get symptoms while on vanco, it is probably the virus. I would call your GI and share your concerns.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:58 pm

I agree, give your GI a call. It may be the flu. We all do worry as we near the end of treatment, the fear takes over.
Hopefully it will pass and you will start feeling better .

NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:53 am

It's quite hard to tell the difference between a stomach virus and a relapse , the only way to know is to test but test will not be accurate until at least two weeks after you finished the course of meds.

slplkaye
Regular User

Postby slplkaye » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:38 am

I do not have a GI and have been told I can't get in to see one until April! Isn't that ridiculous?

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:16 am

I did not vomit with c-diff. Some posters have, but vomiting is more of the main symptom with the stomach virus. And usually the stomach virus lasts 24 hrs, whereas c-diff can be the gift that keeps on giving until it's controlled with meds.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”