Tapering 125mg Vancomycin for six weeks: q72hrs. (ref:Dr. Johan S. Bakken)

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
grandma7
New User

Tapering 125mg Vancomycin for six weeks: q72hrs. (ref:Dr. Johan S. Bakken)

Postby grandma7 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:14 pm

Machaon,
I too have stared the Vancomycin tapering,but my schedule is different than yours
1 capsule every 6 hours for 14 days
1 capsule twice a day for 7 days
1 capsule once a day for 7 days
1 capsule ever other day for 4 weeks
Hoping it clears it this time.This is my third relapse.
I was good for over two weeks,then here I am again!
I hope the tapering works for you.
I am very glad I found this site.I have found so much information.

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Re: Tapering 125mg Vancomycin for six weeks: q72hrs. (ref:Dr. Johan S. Bakken)

Postby Machaon » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:40 pm

Edited post by mistake and inadvertently deleted content.
Last edited by Machaon on Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:04 pm

grandma7, best of luck with your taper!

Three relapses! I can feel your disappointments! Is this your first attempt at tapering?

I am wishing you the best and hoping for good news from your taper!
Male 77 S.Florida

grandma7
New User

Postby grandma7 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:37 am

Meacham.
Yes this is my first time with tapering.Thank you,I hope it works also.
Pray the best for your tapering also.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:31 am

Machaeon - the article is in our Media Reports section. I think about a year or so ago.

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:15 am

Took three 125mg Vancomycin on Thursday, none on Friday or Saturday, then three on Sunday.

I added too much raw veggies to my three large daily salads and got nasty, painful IBS-C on Saturday and Sunday. The pain was different than before and more intense. The pain doubled me over and lasted for around 10 seconds each time. Scared the living hell out of me because of anxiety over C-diff. Feeling much better today!

This morning starts another two days without Vancomycin. Had a great, solid potty. Legs getting stronger and skinnier. Have energy and overall well feeling. Quite a change from the previous two, awful days!

Lesson learned? Don't add a lot of raw veggies to salads when feeling good and appetite picks up!
Last edited by Machaon on Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Male 77 S.Florida

Vern
Brand New Poster

Postby Vern » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:33 pm

I have been on vanco since January,each time I finish my doses,like clock work, my diarrhea returns,I even had one fecal transplant, which did not appear to take, as I am now on Vanco again, this time, the dr. ordered a tapering off dosage, so far, none of these treatments are working. I got C-diff for the first time 4 years ago. What flared this up again, was I suffered a stroke this past January, and the doctors gave me antibiotics, OF COURSE, which made my c-diff come back with a vengeance like never before ! This is no fun , not to mention how it makes me feel ! I have had a itching sensation and rash with all of this, and I believe it is from the medication, but I do not know what else to do!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:34 pm

Hello Vern and Welcome to the site. Please read the first thread for all new posters

You have posted at the end of this thread, it's best t start a NEW thread especially when new and posting questions so everyone will see your post.

It sounds like you have been on Vanco a long time, please mention Dificid to your GI. Take a look under CDI and yo will find a lot of information, it is the next step often after Vanco fails. You can also put Dificid in the search bar and take a look.

I also failed Vanco twice, a long 3 month taper. I then failed Dificid( 10 days). Went on a long Dificid taper..finally got rod of CDIFF

NanciT

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:48 am

I begin Vancomycin at 5am and 5pm (twice a day) starting tomorrow, followed by two days without, followed by another day of Vancomycin, followed by two days without repeating over the next two weeks.

It's been an interesting two weeks of Vancomycin three times a day, followed by two days without. It seems like, during the days without the Vancomycin, my potties are not quite as good, but not really too bad either.

Each day, my strength and energy improve. My legs ankles and feet, which swelled badly and painfully during C-diff, have improved in strength, and size, each day and currently are close to normal. I can finally lift my legs up to put on my socks and sneakers in the morning.

I am still eating three large salads per day, with cucumber, squash, tomato, carrots and romaine. I also eat a bowl of microwaved broccoli, peas and green beans each day; and yogurt; and cereal; and cheese; and sweet potato. My diet doesn't seem to be having a significant negative effect on me. Perhaps it is a reason why my potties are not more firm?

I also take 5 billion CFU of Now Saccharomyces Boulardii and 30 billion, 10 strain, Dr. Pobias Probiotics each day.

I don't know if this tapering will ultimately be successful, but I am experiencing some very positive signs, such as being able to eat my normal diet; having fairly good, albeit somewhat soft potties; improved legs, ankles and feet with each passing day; more strength, energy and mobility with each passing day. I am hoping that the gradual improvements in my health and overall well-being, are due to healing and improvements in my colon. I never realized how much the health of one's colon had to do with one's overall health! Goodness!

edit: Loose stools, for the first time, this morning, Saturday at 9am. Is this a sign that some of the c-diff spores germinated, as they are supposed to do, and caused some problems during the two days off of Vancomycin? If so, it could be that the tapering is working and "could" be successful in the end (so to speak).
Male 77 S.Florida

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:25 am

Currently on Week 3-4 (July 29-Aug 12): 125mg vancomycin, two times for one day; followed by two days without vancomycin.

Doing and feeling quite well, with pretty good appetite. Potties have ranged from loose to semi-soft to semi-solid, probably effected by my three large salads, but no diarrhea. Strength has gradually improved.

I was curious if Dr. Bakken ran into any problems with his tapering/pulsing protocol. So I re-read his articles.

Back in September, 2014, three years ago, Dr. Bakken said: “I've discussed this treatment approach with colleagues who also adopted this, and the feedback I've gotten has been that it has worked. I don't know how many patients have been subjected to this treatment, but I haven't had any feedback that says that this doesn't work,”.

I am worried about what is going to happen after I stop tapering. Dr. Bakken's statement gives me some hope, but I am not taking Kefir, only probiotics.
Male 77 S.Florida

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:41 pm

As we all taper down the anxiety hits. This is such a difficult illness to deal with. As you finish the taper, give yourself the time you need to recover. It takes awhile for things to get back to "new normal".

Hang in there, hopefully this will be the end of if for you as it has been for so many on the forum

Wishing you the best!

NanciT

Benh
Contributor

Postby Benh » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:11 pm

This is an interesting taper. Mine was 4 pills for 4 weeks, 3 for 3 weeks, 2 for 2 and 1 for 2 then every other day for 8 pills then every three days for 8 pills. Very long taper. I am one month out of my last pill and have good days and bad but optimistic that that will do it. I still do florastor 2 a day and drink kefir and otherwise stay on a bland diet because I still have lingering gastritis. I wish you the best on this taper as it seems a little shorter and seemingly more manageable than the long taper that I did.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:35 pm

Benh.
The poster is doing this regime without his Drs consent or involvement.
It's not a recognised taper, he found it online.
Hopefully it works but it's not advisable to do this without medical supervision.

Benh
Contributor

Postby Benh » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:13 pm

Ah, thanks Roy. I missed that for sure. I have been a little absent here for a variety of reasons but will be back more regularly and read more carefully. To the OP, I wish you the best but know that many drs have done more refined and perhaps better studied tapers but if it works, I would be very happy for you.

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:20 pm

Last night at 10 pm, after two days without Vancomycin, I had my first solid potty in 3½ months. That was since I contracted this awful infection on April 18th. I had another solid potty today at 12:30 pm. My strength and overall health has basically been restored. I suffer from no ill effects from the C-diff.

Today I take Vancomycin at 5 am and 5 pm followed by another two days without Vancomycin.

Roy said: "Hopefully it works but it's not advisable to do this without medical supervision."

Roy is absolutely correct! Doing this basically on my own has my anxiety level quite high. The end result, if I am wrong, could be quite bad.

I'll explain what happened. My doctor had discussed a taper if my C-diff relapsed. At the end of 10 days of a 14 day Vancomycin rx, I did not want to wait for a relapse because I had suffered so horribly for two months from C-Diff, so I called and left a message with a nurse asking the doctor for Vancomycin again "so I could do a taper" without waiting for a relapse. He prescribed it. I think the nurse didn't mention "tapering" and that he assumed I relapsed and prescribed another 14 days of Vancomycin. I picked it up, but I did not get any taper instructions.

Then, while researching FMT, I came across Dr. Bakken's Vancomycin protocol. I figured that, there are so many different tapering protocols, why not follow Dr. Bakken's? So far, I am very pleased with the results.
Male 77 S.Florida

Return to “Treatments”