Please help me select my treatment between Dificid and Vnco...and any side effects possible

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
Shruti
New User

Please help me select my treatment between Dificid and Vnco...and any side effects possible

Postby Shruti » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:02 am

I didn't want to do lumpectomy as I knew the chances of malignancy was just 1% but my surgeon forced me to...of course they would I should have known.

Anyway got hospital infection and was prescribed Clindamycin and got C. Diff. Took me 15 days to convince the nurse that even though it seems like mild diarrhea it is way abnormal for me as i am normally constipated so please test for C. Diff. At the end of one month of mild diarrhea finally got diagnosed and immediately prescribed Flagyl yesterday. But now I am asking for Dificid or anco as my insurance said they will cover.

Please help me decide which one. I have cramps in my lower abdomen mostly in the evenings and D 3 times but I take psyllium husk so it's not very watery...and maybe that is why it's just 3 times. I feel the pressure and cramps a lot more but can resist going.

PLEASE HELP me select my treatment and tell me any side effects possible as the nurse treating me is very naive and I am not getting GI appointment before 2 weeks from now.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Please help me select my treatment between Dificid and Vnco...and any side effects possible

Postby NanciT » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:56 am

Hello Shruti and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

I am sorry you had to find us, especially POST procedure. I hope all went well with that. Flagyl can be harsh to take, it's not clear what day you are on? I had terrible time with it and asked to be switched to Vancomycin. Call the MD who gave you the Flagyl and let them know you feel terrible on it and request the change. If they wont do this, ask them to CALL the GI and get you in sooner. That's worth a chance.

It's possible Flagyl is working for you but if you are ill on it I would change. Hopefully they will do this and Vanco will take care of it for you. I also was one that had D only 3-4 times in the morning only with CDIFF although I also had vomiting. I did not have a mild case.

Hopefully they will change the medication, let us know how you do

NanciT

amg
Regular Contributor

Re: Please help me select my treatment between Dificid and Vnco...and any side effects possible

Postby amg » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:17 am

If your insurance covers Dificid, it's a great medicine that more closely targets c diff in your gut and relatively spares the good flora that you need. My daughter (14 yo) tolerated Dificid very well without side effects, and it was her cure after 4 relapses with flagyl and vanco. Good luck!

Sad2017
New User

Postby Sad2017 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:26 pm

I had c. Diff back at the end of May and was given a 10 day course of flagyl which failed! I was then started on dificid 10 day course, the 1st few days were rough but after that I tolerated it fairly well and am now 6wks post dificid and knock on wood no signs of it returning. I definitely recommend the dificid. It should be used right away and it's very unfair to all of those who suffer over and over again when this medicine would help eliminate a lot of unnecessary relapses. Good luck with your decision wishing you the best.

Shruti
New User

Postby Shruti » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:45 pm

Thank you all. Others please keep posting about Dificid experience, good ones will encourage me.

I didn't start on Flagyl and asked doc to prescribe Dificid. The pharmacy said it will come on Monday so will start on Monday. I can get from another pharmacy which is little far, if I want today, but I am so scared to start and I am functional as of now, can walk and work normally. Only evening ad nights I get abdominal cramps, which is bad no doubt and but all the side effects seem to be even worse. So I don't mind waiting. I have to take care of my son 24/7 who has chronic issues so I am scared of being non-functional. I really wish I can go back in time and say no for the surgery.

What to watch out for on Dificid and what kind of food to eat or not to eat. since last 2 days I am so scared I have lost all my appetite. That is helping, lol, as without food, no cramps!

PLEASE pray for me, for the sake of my son.

linnyg
Contributor

Postby linnyg » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:20 am

There really are no food restrictions with Dificid. C diff tore my stomach up and had to eat a very bland diet, not sure if it's the same for you. It's important to take the pills as directed, twice a day, 12 hours apart. The first time I took Dificid, I felt great about 48 hours after. Hopefully, this will work for you!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:52 am

Dificid is designed to be used before any other meds so it's probably the best way to go.
Regardless though what you describe is very mild symptoms and the very best and always the first "treatment" is to stop taking the offending antibiotic and see if your body repairs itself without resorting to more treatment.
The fact that you are able to wait for treatment indicates that you may already be recovering.
A positive c.diff test should never result in automatic treating as it's only half the diagnosis.
If symptoms resolve there's nothing to treat!

cnatra
Contributor

Postby cnatra » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:24 pm

I was on Vanco for over 3 months.
It didn't eliminate the C Diff.

I just finished a double course of Dificid (20 pills over 10 days then 20 pills tapered) that I'm hoping has finally done trick.

No C Diff D since and I've been off Dificid 2 weeks tomorrow .
Some PI IBS though .

I had no significant side effects with Vanco or Dificid.
Last edited by cnatra on Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shruti
New User

Postby Shruti » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:22 pm

roy wrote:
> Dificid is designed to be used before any other meds so it's probably the
> best way to go.
> Regardless though what you describe is very mild symptoms and the very best
> and always the first "treatment" is to stop taking the offending
> antibiotic and see if your body repairs itself without resorting to more
> treatment.
> The fact that you are able to wait for treatment indicates that you may
> already be recovering.
> A positive c.diff test should never result in automatic treating as it's
> only half the diagnosis.
> If symptoms resolve there's nothing to treat!

Roy,

I was being optimistic that I can use my herbal medicine knowledge and eventually will recover. My symptoms are mild during day but evenings are bad, I constantly have feeling to go. Just because of Psyllium husk I can resist for couple of hours but I can't stand. Standing makes me go no matter what, though if I move around slowly I can resist for a while. Since last week I am feeling too bloated and acidic that made me decide that something is really wrong inside even if D is not that bad. But yes I always stay away from any medicine. i haven't had any since last 30 years except for cold.

From today my symptoms are the worst in spite of Psyllium husk. This evening I already went 3 times and its 8 PM. I went twice in the morning. My prescription will arrive tomorrow so will start and hope for the best :)

Shruti
New User

Postby Shruti » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:27 pm

linnyg wrote:
> There really are no food restrictions with Dificid. C diff tore my stomach
> up and had to eat a very bland diet, not sure if it's the same for you.
> It's important to take the pills as directed, twice a day, 12 hours apart.
> The first time I took Dificid, I felt great about 48 hours after.
> Hopefully, this will work for you!

Thanks linnyg . I am eating bland diet only as spices make it worse. Thanks for emphasizing the schedule.

Shruti
New User

Postby Shruti » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:43 am

Can anyone tell me about the antibiotics to avoid in future and a list of safer antibiotics.

Also do most people get IBS symptoms post Dificid or while on Dificid?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:36 am

You would need a crystal ball to answer either question.
Discuss your treatment with your Dr.

Shruti
New User

Postby Shruti » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:41 pm

"You would need a crystal ball to answer either question."

Roy, that's what I wondered and was worried about :(. But thanks for replying anyway!

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:10 pm

I had D halfway through my 10 day Dificid course last year but it ended up doing the job. I do have some PI IBS but it worked.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:37 pm

Alinia!

https://www.scripps.edu/newsandviews/e_ ... janda.html

I hope all doctors learn about Alinia. It's way cheaper than Dificid, and doesn't carry the worry of developing VRE like vancomycin.

Return to “Treatments”