Hoping this is the end of it

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
kmjack
New User

Hoping this is the end of it

Postby kmjack » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:50 pm

Got C diff after taking kaflex for cellulitis from a sunburn.
Diagnosed of it on May 15. Started flaygl on May 16. Started getting mucus with blood mixed in it and called the doctors and they went ahead and sent in a rx for flaygl again. Been off of it for about 2 weeks and just this past weekend I started getting the bloody and mucus mix again but it was only once on Saturday and once on Sunday. Since then I have had semi normal looking stool.
Went to the doctor today about it and my doctor said that it can't be c diff without the diarrhea and that it could be ibs. Been taking probiotic off and on and been eating at least 4 yogurts with L. acidophilus in it.
How long did you guys have the smell on the stool? I feel like I can smell it a little bit but not sure if it is just me. Doctors won't retest me since it is not diarrhea and it won't be submitted.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Hoping this is the end of it

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:28 am

Hello - Welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for all new users on rules of posting, standard intro, etc. So sorry you had to deal with c-diff. It can take quite some time for the balance in your gut to get back in check after c-diff. My doctor told me to not worry about smell as that can also be due to the gut bacteria imbalance. It is a good sign that you are having semi-normal stool. It sounds as if your body is fighting off the c-diff. The probiotics may be helping with that. Mucus often happens with any irritation of the colon, including IBS. However, blood is not usually indicative of IBS, so if that happens again you may want to take that up with the doctor again. No watery diarrhea is a good sign that the c-diff is gone. I believe that some labs will test formed stool if requested by the doctor, but the proper protocol is really not to test for a cure, but rather treat based on symptoms alone. Watery diarrhea more than 3 times per day for 3 days in a row with the urgency to go is usually the tell tale sign that c-diff is back. Hopefully you are in recovery now. Good luck to you and wish you continued improvement.

Lisa

kmjack
New User

Postby kmjack » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:13 am

She didn't seem concerned at all about the blood in the mucus. She said that it is normal. She told me that it can months for my body to reheal from all of the damage.

Also, the mucus stuff is only like 1 time a day and normally will only have it for 1 or 2 days sometimes and then it is back to normal. She wants me to start tracking what I eat and to mark what type of stool I have that day.

kmjack
New User

Postby kmjack » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:06 am

I also have only been able to go once yesterday and haven't been able to go at all today. Anything anyone recommend to be able to go to the bathroom?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:33 am

Kmjack,
There are various laxatives and stool softeners but this is definitely a doc question so call and ask yours. Good luck.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:51 am

Usually adding more fiber to the diet helps and drinking lots of liquids, especially if it is hot. Ask your doctor as Bobbie said about fiber supplements vs laxatives. Some do better with fiber and others with laxatives. I used to be C before c diff and used to drink prune juice or eat a couple of prunes. The problem is that after c diff, many have food intolerances and can't eat things that have a lot of fiber.

kmjack
New User

Postby kmjack » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:16 pm

Well unfortunately I have been still having issues. Been completely fine and then about a month and a half ago my fiance gets admitted to the hospital and then I get mucus and small amounts of blood and then just yesterday I had another round of it due to stress in the family and had more mucus and blood only when I wiped.it only last about a day and then it is normally back to normal. Waiting until January 8 to get seen by a gastrointestinal as I had to cancel the last one due to a funeral..... Only thing I could think it could be is either UC or colitis since I haven't any any issues before the c diff. Opinions????

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:40 am

I would definitely be checked out for other gastro issues, as it doesn't sound c-diff related. Given that blood is present, I'm sure the GI will want to do a colonoscopy. But, in this case, it may be a good idea so that you can rule out anything such as UC, etc. Maybe the c-diff brought out something else. I hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

Lisa

kmjack
New User

Postby kmjack » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:01 pm

Is there any other test they can do instead of a colonoscopy? Very nervous about having one and doing all of the bowel prep. Been completely normal on my bowel movemens until I got the C diff in May.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:54 am

Some GIs will do a sigmoidoscopy, but you would have to ask. That is only a fleet's enema prep. Meanwhile, maybe you can see a colon and rectal surgeon (formerly known as proctologists) who can at least look into the rectum to see if there is a fissure or hemorhoids or some other cause.

Return to “Success Stories”