Still exper Weightloss Post c diff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Healed
Regular User

Still exper Weightloss Post c diff

Postby Healed » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:26 pm

All~
Please let me know if you had still experienced weightloss post cdiff. I am not experiencing diarrhea.

NikaNik
Long Time Contributor

Re: Still exper Weightloss Post c diff

Postby NikaNik » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:52 pm

I experienced weight loss during c diff and also in recovery since I wasn't taking in my normal amount of calories/eating the foods I did before the beast came along. It took me about 8-9 months to start putting weight back on and as I got back to my pre c diff eating habits it took me a little over a year to get back to my pre c diff weight. I found eating smaller meals throughout the day helped (I added Boost and Ensure but after a while they upset my stomach). Hang in there!

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:50 pm

Hi. I've experienced weight loss during C-Diff and now post c-diff. I know it's because i still haven't returned to normal eating. I'm actually going to see a nutritionist this afternoon to get some guidance on returning to normal living (I can't deny that i'm afraid of food right now).

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:32 pm

Good idea to see nutritionist.

I lost over 20"lbs my first bout of c diff. I made sure I ate small meals 3 times a day and supplemented with Ensure Plus twice a day. Ensure and Boost have all varieties,now - non- lactose, etc.

Now I am too heavy!!!

Healed
Regular User

Postby Healed » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:34 pm

Thank you all~
NikaNik; Sophie; and Bobbie,

I had an appointment with a Nutritionist today and when i got on the darn scale, I bust out and cried. I believe I have been eating; or course, but perhaps, not eating enough calories. I know I can't eat like I use to right now because my colon is still healing. She gave me some recommendations which I will adhere to. I am lactose intolerant...I have tried Boost and Ensure plus...but I think two days later....my stomach has a reaction to it. Or I just can't drink them everyday. She suggested for me to try Pronurish which is new on the market and just try it twice a week and see how my stomach tolerates it.

The nutritionist suggested I eat every 2 or 3 hours and make sure I snack in between. She emphasized to make sure I am getting protien and starch; peanut butter; oatmeal; apple sauce, other stuff every day. I know there is a Nutrition section on the blog on meal planning and foods to eat.

I think another issue for me is that I am not a great cook...I do the basic cooking. My lifestyle was always eating out...and only cooking sometimes. Of course, it is the reverse now, more eating in house...and try to avoid eating out unless I research a restaurant and be extra careful in what I order. Now I know I have to eat to live; and make it a major priority to cook and have prepared meals when I go to work and come home...Which I have been doing for while..but some times I do get tired. I am also going to purchase some frozen entrees..because popping an entree in the microwave is alot easier.

Anywho, thank again,, everyone. I am desparately wanting to be positive and stop getting depressed and sad. I know I am in recovery...And you all have shared your personal stories; encouraged me...and let me know I am not alone in this. I just started a couple couseling sessions. And when I tell them about cdiff...It is foreign to them. I let them know I join the blog because we have experienced this nasty mean infection and support each other....but the mental and physical angiush is truly makes you feel defeated...and that is not the goal.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:06 pm

It took almost a year n a half to get back to 120.. I was down to about 95 at my sickest and I stayed about 110 -115 for a year and could not gain any more .. just recently I've had more of an appetite and gaining more .. I'm short so I'm at my ideal weight right now .. it just takes time

kmr92
New User

Postby kmr92 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:59 am

I lost about 12 lbs from having c diff. I've gained about 4 lbs back since(about 9 weeks post treatment). I tried to focus on fitting in a lot of proteins and good fats. It takes time but things will get better. Good luck.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:02 am

Most individuals do struggle to regain the weight loss. Adding more calories into your diet will help,I gained all my weight back when I started to stop worrying about Cdiff and eating a normal diet. Now I'm actually struggling to lose some pounds as I got a little fat :).

Benh
Contributor

Postby Benh » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:28 am

I too am struggling to gain my weight back, although I am still on the tale end of my 3 month vancomycin taper/pulse. Oddly, I only lost about 5lbs (160 down to 155) with my initial c diff infection. Then the relapse really got me and I went down to 145 quickly. Since then though I have lost more and now hover in the upper 130s to maybe 140. I too will seek a nutritionist. I have developed gastritis also so I have been on a low fodmap diet but it is fairly liberal in terms of proteins and fats and I eat chicken twice a day no matter what, and otherwise think I am eating well but I haven't done the math in terms of counting calories, proteins, and fat. Based on the great feedback here, it really sounds like our bodies need a long time to adjust and get back to normal, although it is alarming and for me I just don't feel well in terms of strength and stamina. Hopefully a nutritionist can give us all some pointers.

Jim99w
Brand New Poster

Postby Jim99w » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:33 pm

I too recently got over a c diff infection. I’m 33 and wasn’t on antibiotics prior to infection. I have lost a good bit of weight. Prob a good 20lbs. Now I have an perianal abscess not sure if the 2 are related. Did everyone here go back to a normal lifestyle and a healthy weight?

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:27 pm

Jim, You have responded to a 2 year old post. Chances are those posters are no longer active.I assume you would like others to respond in kind to you and get a dialog going.
You should start a new topic yourself and other members will see your post and respond.

In the meantime, welcome to the site. Please read the first thread on rules for posting and get an idea of how the site works.

Everyone recovers in varying times. Slow recovery with food intolerances and slow weight gain is very common. If that is your situation we suggest you eat bland food and add new foods slowly. Common food intolerances are dairy, fried food and sweets among others.

Again, if you start your own post you should hear from a lot of members for support and suggestions.

Rita

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”