Prebiotics vs. Probitics ?

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Healed
Regular User

Prebiotics vs. Probitics ?

Postby Healed » Mon May 08, 2017 9:29 am

All~

Can someone tell me what are Prebiotics and what name brand and where can I purchase? I live in the USA.

Thank you

roy
Administrator

Re: Prebiotics vs. Probitics ?

Postby roy » Mon May 08, 2017 10:09 am

Oats are about the best.
No real need for tablet forms.

Healed
Regular User

Postby Healed » Mon May 08, 2017 2:06 pm

Thanks

That's exactly what I ate for breakfast--oatmeal...

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Mon May 08, 2017 3:31 pm

Prebiotics are found in a lot of food - oatmeal, fiber bars, Metamucil, etc. They feed your good bacteria. Probiotics can be found in yogurt, kefir, and capsule form, etc. They add good bacteria to your system. Personally, I have a much easier time ingesting prebiotics than probiotics. I used to eat yogurt all the time. However, since C. Diff (4 years since recovery), yogurt really irritates my colon and causes IBS (too much of a good thing, I guess) and the pill form is even worse for me. I only take probiotics when I am going to need to take an antibiotic. Everyone seems to react differently and some people have no issues with probiotics. Hope that helps.
Aloha,
Anne

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue May 09, 2017 12:38 am

Prebiotics are actually a type of fiber and acts as food for probiotics.The more food you give your bacteria ,the more efficiently these live bacteria work and the healthier your gut will be.Prebiotics naturally exist in many foods you may already consume on a regular basis :onion , garlic, wheat flour, unripe bananas etc. and you will also find them in fiber supplements. Although they are good for the bacteria , on a sensitive gut they might create disturbance.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”