Post FMT symptoms

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
Zapper
Regular Contributor

Post FMT symptoms

Postby Zapper » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:42 am

Hi all,
I just had my FMT yesterday for c diff and really having a rough time.
I'm nauseous and having watery diarrhea 20+ times despite taking 6 Imodiums. My tummy is very loud with all the groaning and rumbling.. it's very similar to colon prep where the D comes quickly and I can't leave the bathroom.
I called the on call doc and he doesn't seem worried about it. I'm just exhausted after being up for 48 hrs with around 3 hrs of sleep. Really unable to eat.. ate around 3-4 bites of white rice before my stomach freaked out again.

Is this normal?? I feel like this is so wrong.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Post FMT symptoms

Postby georgina » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:06 am

Go to ER if you have uncontrolablle D to get some iv fluids because you can end up dehydrated really fast.It is normal to have a few nasty symptoms after FMT but yours seem really bad, you shouldn't experience symptoms like that after FMT . What did you doctor tell you?
Sorry you are having such a rough time , hopefully tomorrow things will settle down.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:21 pm

Did you ever take Dificid? You were on vanco for a solid year basically, which really is a perfect way to develop antibiotic resistance. I hope you get better soon, but your symptoms don't sound good at all.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:51 pm

Not had an FMT but I had a colonoscopy 9 hours ago.
No after effects at all.
Your reaction is not normal. I would not give it much longer before I was going to get help.
If there's any blood go now.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:35 pm

No blood. The D has stopped for now after a total of 8 Imodiums. I was able to eat 1/4 cup of white rice and keep it down. Trying my best to keep hydrated but still seeing a low grade fever.
I don't want to overreact. I called the on call doc again and was told the same thing.. to wait and allow time for the transplant to work.
I really hope that it worked and I just had a very very rough recovery.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:25 am

Glad you feel a bit better but if things go downhill again go and seek help in the ER. Hopefully symptoms will subside so you can eat properly. Try some peppermint tea , might help your fast transit and also bone broth as it has calming effects on the gut.
Sending positive vibes your way for a quick recovery!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon May 01, 2017 1:58 am

If the fever does not go and the D is there tomorrow, I would go to ER. We had a poster who contracted some other infection with FMT. It is unusual, but it can happen.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Mon May 01, 2017 7:11 am

Yeah.. I am miserable. Just woke up again to watery D and little to no control over it. Called the doc again... might be going to ER after all.
I just feel so wiped out.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon May 01, 2017 7:47 am

Please go seek help , staying home with those symptoms can be dangerous.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Wed May 03, 2017 7:16 pm

So, I ended up going to the ER Sunday.. And was admitted Monday and released today (Wednesday).
My c diff test came back negative twice. But positive for norovirus. Which I guess couldn't have come at a worse time. I am still having diarrhea but nowhere near when I was admitted. My admit diagnosis was for dehydration and sepsis. I also have igA deficiency which I guess means I'm more susceptible to illness and they are for longer and more severe than others with normal immune systems.
This has been a rough recovery. They wanted me to stay longer but mentally I could not handle being in a small isolation room any longer. Now continuing my recovery at home.
Thank you all for your help and suggestions. Hopefully I remain c diff free and once I kick this norovirus I can maybe see if I have a quality of life improvement.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu May 04, 2017 12:50 am

Sorry you have been dealing with Norovirus , I never had it but I heard it can be a pain in the ass. At least now you can put your mind at ease knowing that is not Cdiff. Try to rest and drink lots of liquids to keep yourself hydrated . Try some bone broth , it is packed with nutrients , has calming effects on the gut and keeps you hydrated.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Thu May 04, 2017 1:09 pm

Hi Zapper, I'm sorry to hear this has happened to you, but at least they were able to determine what was causing your symptoms. I'm sure that was very scary, especially following an FMT. ... I am curious, did you just find out about the IgA deficiency, or have you known this all along? I responded to someone's post just yesterday who said her young adult daughter has this, and she believes it is associated with increased vulnerability to C Diff infection.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri May 05, 2017 12:47 am

Talk to your doctor about IVIG infusions for that Ig deficiency.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri May 05, 2017 2:04 am

My mom had norovirus last year (she is 96) and she is fine and recovered. You will too. It's just awful to go through.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Sat May 06, 2017 10:30 pm

Hi everyone,
I believe norovirus has finally left my system! Hooray!
However, I am now having bowel movements that go from constipated to diarrhea to now mucus only with urgency. Doesn't seem like c diff.... I can't understand what it is.
Is this normal post FMT?

Return to “FMT Discussion”