Curious - how many people here are functioning close to normal

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
amyc
Long Time Contributor

Re: Curious - how many people here are functioning close to normal

Postby amyc » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:57 pm

Hi Sophie. I am doing very well. I didn't have a serious case of Cdiff, and didn't deal with diverticulitis on top of it. You were in the hospital for a long time (5 days is a long inpatient stay now) so I am not surprised to hear you still feel unwell. Give yourself time to heal. Hopefully you will get a little better every day.

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:02 pm

Thanks for your note AMYC. I guess i'm use to having the flu and suddenly feeling better. Not happening this time.
I really appreciate that you commented on my history...makes me really appreciate the help/support in this Support
Room.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:01 pm

I also had a mild case of c.diff and 4 months out I am still not 100% back to "normal" though my energy has basically returned. For a much more severe case, and compounding medical issues, sadly you won't just immediately feel better. Healing can takes months, if not years, especially when it comes to your GI tract specifically.

~Lauren

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:58 pm

Thanks Lauren..was hoping to wake up soon feeling great but that might not happen for a while. One day at a time, one day at a time.
I'm glad you're on the mend..hpeully it won't take uears/

overit
Regular User

Postby overit » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:10 pm

It took me several months to get my energy back and about a full year to be able to eat like I used to. Everyone is a bit different but be patient. Your body needs time to heal.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:58 am

It does take a long time to get your energy back. But, even other illnesses do that to you. Last year I was hospitalized with complications of the flu with a very low white blood cell count. It took a very long time to recuperate and I don't think I still have the same energy level as before I got sick. Give yourself time and I found that rest helped the most, but then slowly start walking and adding activities. If you just sit around all day, it tends to weaker you, but you can't start activities all at once. Do so slowly. Also, try to eat as healthy as you are able. Have your vitamin and mineral levels checked to see if you are deficient. Many are with c difficile - vitamin D, B12, B6, A, iron, calcium. Some of those can zap your energy too.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:00 pm

I "celebrated" my 4 year anniversary of C. Diff recovery on March 8. I still have IBS issues nearly every day and quite a few problems with different types of food, etc. However, I am also 73 years old and have a damaged heart and quite a bit of brain damage (which was discovered in a MRI when I had a TIA on my 1 year anniversary of C. Diff). BUT, this old broad (I can say that about myself because it applies to me) has more in the tank and I'll never give up without a fight. This is just my opinion, but I think a lot depends on age and overall health. As is true of many health issues, the younger you are, the faster you will heal. Of course, how severe the C. Diff was and whether or not a person experienced relapses or recurrences can also play a part. Recovery is not a one size fits all. All that being said, I wish that every one who has experienced this dreadful disease would be able to recover and resume a normal life after a short recovery period. Unfortunately, recovery and how fast or slow it is seems to be an individual experience depending on many different factors.

To each and every one of you who have experienced this awful disease, I send my best wishes and much aloha.
Anne

elinton
Brand New Poster

Postby elinton » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:01 pm

Musings wrote:
> I also had a mild case of c.diff and 4 months out I am still not 100% back
> to "normal" though my energy has basically returned. For a much
> more severe case, and compounding medical issues, sadly you won't just
> immediately feel better. Healing can takes months, if not years, especially
> when it comes to your GI tract specifically.
>
> ~Lauren
Hi, I am 4 months post c Diff. I loose a lb a week which I hope soon stops. Still on strict diet that does not have sugar, milk products, processed foods, raw Veg. No flour products, pickles, vinegar etc. Lots of unsweetened apple sauce and porridge always safe and home made chicken soup. Remember to look at the big picture instead of a day at a time.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:58 am

Hi elinton - I see that you are a new poster, and just wanted to welcome you to the site. Please read the first forum for all new users on rules of posting, standard intro, etc. It sounds like you are into recovery, which is so great. Wishing you continued improvement.

Just something logistical - don't worry about using the quote feature when replying to posts. I don't know why it's an option, but it winds up taking up a ton of space, so we usually tell posters not to bother using it. Thanks, and welcome to the site. :-)

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:51 am

I too wonder this. I also wonder about people in my age group and if they are able to recover faster/etc or if age has no effect.
I am 1 month post 2nd FMT and still seem c diff free so far.
I am able to eat more than I did the first week, but I am so terrified most of the time I think my stress/anxiety make the symptoms worse more than the food.
Pre c diff, all I ate was salads/raw veggies and french fries and desserts. I can not eat ANY of these anymore. I also worked out 4x a week.. I have a hard time going up the stairs to my bedroom now. So I feel you.. the energy level is just not there like it used to be. AND I have an 8 month old... who is now crawling. I am EXHAUSTED!

I am having a hard time navigating the food choices especially at family events/weddings/parties. I end up not eating and starving myself in fear I will get sick. That plus the low energy usually makes me light-headed and woozy.
I keep praying every night that one day I wake up a new person... Still waiting for that day! I really hope someone can report back saying they are practically back to their normal!!!

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:56 pm

Last post here was about a week ago from Zapper... I want to add I am 4 months post FMT and am a 45 year old female. I have food intolerances and food triggered IBS it seems, and CANNOT eat everything I want, but... last weekend after working about a 45 hour work week, I worked a half day Saturday, went to an amusement park from 3 pm to 11pm with my 13 year old riding roller coasters, spent midday Sunday at my parents for lunch, and all late afternoon at the pool. And back to work Monday morning fine. It was the first time I have felt like "myself" and had my regular energy level since last July. So, I think it takes a long time to recover, but you WILL get there :-)

Return to “Free Form Discussion”