Did you get ANY better while on Dificid?

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
STS-0
Regular User

Did you get ANY better while on Dificid?

Postby STS-0 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:26 am

I am coming to understand that while Dificid is a good AB for CDiff, people usually still have symptoms while on it. Do people usually see ANY improvement while on Dificid? I'm on day 3 now, and I have not seen any improvement at all from my uncontrollable watery D.

Also, WHY does Dificid not resolve symptoms while on it? Vanco usually gives me solid stool in under 24 hours. Just don't understand why the difference when Dificid is supposed to be more powerful than Vanco?

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Re: Did you get ANY better while on Dificid?

Postby AnxiousJ » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:49 am

I had D on Dificid for several days and then got better and it eventually worked.

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:09 pm

My daughter's D firmed up within 2 doses of Dificid.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:47 pm

Dificid is not more powerful than vanco.
All the meds kill active c.diff.
Dificid kills less of the other gut bacteria that's needed to take over once you stop meds.
It's that returning flora that actually cures c.diff by preventing a relapse.
Problem is dificids only proven to be able to do this if you take it as the first med, not 3rd.
Hopefully your normal flora grows back enough while your on dificid and mops up any remaining spores.

cnatra
Contributor

Postby cnatra » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:08 pm

roy wrote:
> Problem is dificids only proven to be able to do this if you take it as the
> first med, not 3rd.

I don't mean to steal the OP's thread but could you elaborate on that Roy ?

After taking Flagyl twice last year for C Diff , once this year and now having been on Vancomycin sometime I've been wondering why Dificid isn't used more often as a first or second line drug for C Diff.

I was initially under the impression Dificid was the drug of last resort before FMTs became more common but it seems FMT is becoming the go to protocol after a few rounds of Flagyl or Vanco fail.

Vanco does a great job knocking out the active C Diff in me but since it and Flagyl apparently killed so much of the good gut bacteria the spores are never eliminated and then an FMT becomes inevitable for people with recurrent infections .

:(

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:47 am

Dificid has the same c.diff killing effect as both flagyl and vanco.
You only have to kill the bugs once! But the spores are still a potential problem.
Once you finish meds the true cure starts.
The natural flora has to regrow and overcome c.diff spores as they germinate and restore harmony to the gut flora.
Dificid kills much less good flora than flagyl and vanco so if it's used first the relapse rate is much lower.
If flagyl and vanco are used first the damage has already been done.
If you check the manufacturers guide dificid is only superior if used first because of the reduced relapse rate not that it's more effective at killing the active infection.
Why is dificid not used first?
Flagyl $10 Vanco liquid $100 Vanco pills $1000 Dificid $3500.
Cost is the main reason but Vanco is also on the "reserved antibiotic" list so that it does not become ineffective against some forms of MRSA.

STS-0
Regular User

Postby STS-0 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:53 am

Well for two days I thought my stools were firming up. Now back to completely watery D. It's day 5 on Dificid.

No one has answered this question -WHY does Dificid not firm everything up like Vanco does?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:10 pm

I have to say everyone is different. Things did not firm up for me too much on Vanco...didn't have WD but nothing firm.

If WD continues for several time/day and you see no improvement, call your GI.

Hope things improve and you start feeling better

NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:04 am

That's a question for your Dr but one scenario is that if targeted meds do not work then it might be something else causing the symptoms.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:43 am

Dificid is engineered to target clostridia so I'm 100% sure that it's doing it's job even though you do not have firm BM. I have read lots of posts about Dificid being a harsh drug , nasty side effects , but eventually posters were cured. At this point your symptoms can be Dificid's side effects or it can be due to something else (parasites ,food intolerances , SIBO etc). If it continues , go to your doctor and ask to get more tests done.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:55 am

As others have mentioned, it could be something else and since your GI has diagnosed you with UC that could be the issue instead of c.diff. Know you are questioning that diagnosis but think it is worthwhile to investigate further.

~Lauren

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Sun May 21, 2017 8:41 pm

I am currently on Day 8 of 10 of dificid and it's worked like a charm with little to no side effects. My stool firmed up within 2 days. I have had some nausea but not enough for it to make me concerned.
Just shows how everyone is so different with all these meds! Flagyl almost killed me from the side effects.. vanco worked great to keep symptoms at bay but never cured me.. now trying dificid and hoping it does the trick along with the FMT!

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue May 23, 2017 9:04 am

I agree with the others and would question if something else is causing your symptoms if the Dificid isn't working at all. I would also discuss a Dificid taper with your doctor, as many have had success with the taper of Dificid for stubborn cases after multiple relapses.

afroney
New User

Postby afroney » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:22 pm

Dificid was attempted on my first hospital admission for CDiff. It was completely useless.

Vancomycin has been the only effective drug for me. A full strength dose will clear up 80% of my problems within a few days.

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:31 pm

Dificid was the only drug that helped me. I could not take Flagyl - it gave me horrible D. I couldn't take Vanco - it turned me into a
zombie, but I had no side effects or problems with Dificid. On the 23rd I will be 2 months post treatment.

Return to “Treatments”