Difficid vs. Tapered Vanco

Treatments, possible treatments, unsubstantiated/unproven treatments. Consult your doctor first.
roy
Administrator

Re: Difficid vs. Tapered Vanco

Postby roy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:51 am

Dificid is Normaly 2 a day for 10 days so you got an "extra" 8 pills, as per site rules follow you Drs advice, but I know what I would be doing with the extra pills.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:59 am

Dificid is Normaly 2 a day for 10 days so you got an "extra" 8 pills, as per site rules follow you Drs advice, but I know what I would be doing with the extra pills.

STS-0
Regular User

Postby STS-0 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:51 am

NanciT -I asked my doc about a taper, and he said that Dificid has only been studied for two week courses? Do you have any research articles I can show him?

Roy -Yes definitely! Personally, with a medicine like Dificid that targets ONLY C. Diff, I'd rather over treat than under treat. Been under treated for C. Diff far too many times. Ready to get it to go away.

When do people start noticing improvements on Dificid? Seems like I have more D. than ever today. :(

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:49 am

If your Drs one that sticks to recomended dosage and only looking at the manufacturers instructions then he is correct.
BUT there's lots of other info that is available and tapering is often used.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26078392

https://academic.oup.com/ofid/article/d ... r-Patients

From your other posts you are not happy with this Drs knowledge and to be honest I would not be happy to keep treating c.diff if at least 4 test results say toxin negative.
I would be insisting on a referral to another Dr for a 2nd oppinion!

STS-0
Regular User

Postby STS-0 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:47 am

Um, I'm definitely very happy to keep treating C. Diff...because I have C. Diff. Toxin A/B negative or not, I'm PCR positive and have horrible D. and urgency when I'm not on Vancomycin. So obviously the antibiotics are necessary. I'm unhappy with this doctor for doctor reasons.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:05 pm

Only trying to help but with a confirmed diagnosis of Ulcerative Colitis a second opinion from a more experiance Dr might be useful.
As might going back to the old method of confirming toxin by doing 3 tests from 3 different stools.

STS-0
Regular User

Postby STS-0 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:50 pm

It's not a confirmed diagnosis of UC, in fact far from it. The GI that 'diagnosed me' did so before testing me for C. Diff. It's very likely that it's been C. Diff this entire time.

Also, just got my latest test back: A&B/ GDH antigen and PCR all positive.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:35 pm

When the GI diagnosed you, did he do so via a colonoscopy with confirmed, positive biopsies? Believe you mentioned you are on Remicade and find it difficult to believe your insurance would have approved it without a solid diagnosis as it's a very expensive treatment and know people with UC or Crohn's who have to fight their insurance to start the treatment.

People with IBD can be more prone to get c.diff because of time in hospitals and/or treatments that lower your immune system. Right now, it does sound like you need to get the c. diff under control and hopefully you are in remission with your UC but if you are doubting your GI's diagnosis you may need another colonoscopy and/or pill cam.

~Lauren

STS-0
Regular User

Postby STS-0 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:41 pm

My original GI did a colonoscopy, but did not confirm via biopsy. He always said He 'thinks' I have Ulcerative Colitis. And he also said in a very confused tone "I don't understand...it looks like Ulcerative Colitis..." After I'd failed several treatments.

I do want to have a colonoscopy, but A. At this point they wouldn't be able to tell anything because of my CDI, and B. Even if my symptoms go away after I beat the C. Diff, how are we supposed to know if it isn't the Remicade doing the trick?

The only thing I have to go on is the fact that when we first found out I had a CDI, the symptoms virtually vanished while I was on Vanco, and that was before Remicade.

cnatra
Contributor

Postby cnatra » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:12 am

I agree with the OP's assessment and Dr. Coleen Kelly's advice. (sticky at the top of page, #3 item)

A dogmatic approach to treating this disease contributes to all the recurrent cases IMHO.

Return to “Treatments”