Wisdom teeth infected. Low risk antibiotics.

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Jimmy40
New User

Wisdom teeth infected. Low risk antibiotics.

Postby Jimmy40 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:09 pm

Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well. My stomach issues are getting better. But got some bad news today concerning my wisdom teeth. They need to be removed. They recommend all 4. Bottom 2 especially. I have had ear problems off and on for a while now. And thought it was ear infections or the crazy changes in the weather her in Maryland. 80 degrees one day in the 30s or 20s the next. But it turns out to be infected wisdom teeth. So my dentist is sending me to a oral surgeon this Thursday with the xrays they took today. I am sure that they will put me on a round of antibiotics first to deal with the infection before they pull the teeth. My question is what are the safest antibiotics to take? I amox/clav is what caused the c diff last January. So I am obviously worried about what they will try to give me. They do know that I cannot take a mix or penicillin. But I'd like to be ready with what I can take just in case they try to give me something else that I shouldn't take. I did read what was posted on the information blog. And wrote down the unsafe ones. But just want to see which is best for this type if infection? Or if there is a type of mouth wash they can prescribe that will take care of it? And if anyone has had this done? Or had a similar operation done? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to stay off of Google. I don't need anymore nightmares from going there. Again I hope you all are doing a lot better with each passing day.

roy
Administrator

Re: Wisdom teeth infected. Low risk antibiotics.

Postby roy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:24 pm

In the UK it is rare for a dentist to use antibiotics, maybe if a patient has a fat face but not for minor things or as a preventative.
Drs have the same opinion for mild infections including strep throat.
In 10 years deaths from c.diff fell from 12000pa to less than 2000pa
If your dentist insists on using one flagyl is an option that can be considered.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:11 pm

Doxycycline of Pen VK are milder ones, but you need to ask your dentist. My daughter had widom teeth pulled that were impacted (not infected though) without antibiotics. My husband had an infected tooth pulled and used Peridex oral mouth rinse and no antibiotics.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:28 pm

I also had an infected tooth that needed to be extracted, I used the Peridox rinse and no antibiotics were needed. Please make sure to have a long talk with your surgeon about your CDIFF experience. We have a list under CDI for "safer" antibiotics and I would bring that in with you.
Take Care
NanciT

Jimmy40
New User

Postby Jimmy40 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:11 pm

Thank you all for this information. I will absolutely bring this information with me on Thursday. My face isn't swollen or anything. And the pain level isn't keeping me awake at night. So I don't know what level that puts the infection itself. I'll ask about the mouth rinse. My sister had a gum infection and got the mouth rinse. So maybe the same will work for me.

Wyok
Regular User

Postby Wyok » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:18 pm

Jimmy40 - Was wondering how it all went. I had a similar problem, and it took me close to two weeks to find a dentist who would pull my infected tooth without antibiotics. My tooth, like yours, wasn't terribly bad, and I managed to actually take some of the infection down by using oregano oil and, occasionally, colloidal silver. Finally did find a holistic dentist, and he pulled it out, no problems. Hope the same for you.

Jimmy40
New User

Postby Jimmy40 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:20 am

Haven't gotten them pulled yet. Scheduled for next week. But some other financial issues have come up. And I will have to reschedule it. The oral surgeon didn't seem to be anywhere near concerned as the dentist did. And he didn't think I needed any antibiotics or the prescription mouth rinse. He said to just continue the salt water rinsed and that I should be fine. My teeth aren't bothering me much at all that I can tell. And the swelling is gone. So hopefully I can go another month before getting them pulled. I think the ones with cavities are bothering me more than the wisdom teeth.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:12 am

I would be wondering if having them removed was the best advice.
That's just me though my thinkings always "If it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Jimmy40
New User

Postby Jimmy40 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:09 pm

The surgeon said they do need to come out. The two bottom ones have cavities. And they swell up and hurt off and on. So I guess they get infected and my body fights of the infection. The part that sucks is that my insurance will only cover getting all 4 out or none at all. I can't afford to pay it all out of pocket. Plus the dental surgeon recommend all 4 anyway. If not the too 2 could rot out from not having anything to hit against anymore other than gums. But I'm always sceptic about everything with "modern medicines" now. Thanks to c diff.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”