Probiotic

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
tanya12
Contributor

Probiotic

Postby tanya12 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:21 pm

A quick question my doctor told me I could start probiotics after my treatment I've been doing a half a cup of Kiefer the past three days I was wondering if I would benefit more from culturelle. I'm sure it's a matter of preference for people but it seems that the Kiefer has a lot of probiotic

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Probiotic

Postby georgina » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:22 am

A spoonfull of Kefir gives you more live bacteria then 10 Culturelles. If lactose doesn't bother you i would say , stick to 1 kefir per day , it's enough and don't bother with Culturelle , too much probiotic can also give you upset tummy.

Tonja13
Regular Contributor

Postby Tonja13 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:39 pm

Don't bother with the stuff at Walgreens...go to your local health food store or Whole Foods. Get the stuff that's refrigerated...People in the health food stores are generally knowledgeable and can help you get started with something that will really make a difference. That's what I did...The ones at Walgreens and considered "shelf stable" didn't really do much for me in the beginning. I got Garden of Life "Raw" probiotics and I really noticed an improvement. (I also drank a lot of Kefir and experimented with foods like Kimchi...keep with that.)
Now, I am officially two years out from my last episode of CDI and I have been able to back off the expensive probiotics. (Yay!) I take one probiotic capsule a week--if I feel like I want one, but they are no longer necessary. I worked hard--including healthy diet and exercise to heal my body and now I feel great and can eat whatever I want. (Yay!) I think I actually have fewer "upset episodes" from foods than ever before in my life! I think it's because going through CDI taught me a lot more about digestion, eating, and listening to my body.
Keep up the good work--you are on the right path!

ashtontw
Regular Contributor

Postby ashtontw » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:00 pm

I second the Garden of Life probiotics! They are refrigerated in the health food stores. I have been taking the "Colon Care" blend. And I also have been on Florastor 2x a day since I got C Diff. If you go on the Florastor website, there are coupons that you can print out and use at whatever retailer that carries it. All of the probiotics get very pricey.

Tonja13
Regular Contributor

Postby Tonja13 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:42 pm

LOL...Ashton...my 'once-a-week' or so probiotic of choice is also the "Colon Care". Good stuff.

maxny1
Regular Contributor

Postby maxny1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:51 am

This is my regimen for now.

It's a lot, but I've never noticed side effects. I get them from Whole Foods, or cheaper via Amazon.

Renew Life Ultimate Flora Extra Care, 150 Billion CFU, 40 strains
Garden of Life Raw Probiotics, 100 Billion CFU, 34 strains
Nature's Way Primadophilus Optima Max Bifido, 90 Billion CFU, 10 strains, enteric coated
Jarrow Ultra Jarro-Dophilus, 50 Billion CFU, 10 strains, enteric coated
Jarrow S Boulardii, 5 Billion CFU

Nancy's Yogurt, ~50-127 Billion CFU, 15 strains
Lifeway Kefir, 15-20 Billion CFU, 12 strains

Also I take:
Jarrow Inulin FOS ("pre-biotic" supposed to help the probiotics thrive)
Jarrow L Glutamine powder (essential amino acid/protein, instrumental in muscle and tissue repair, thought to help heal the GI tract. Supposedly better absorbed when taken in isolated form.)

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:53 am

Wow , you are taking ALOT of probiotic and you might get GI upset from them . Carefull , more don't always mean better!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:32 am

Agree with Geogina!
That's a lot and not one of them is normally found in the natural gut flora.
They are temporary residents that supposedly "fill the gaps" that bad bacteria want to occupy untill the good flora grows back.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:57 am

Totally agree with Roy and Georgina.
Personally I would take the S Boulardii and a bacteria probiotic with a high count and with the tons of money I am saving on the rest, go out to dinner in a nice restaurant as soon as I was feeling well enough.

Rita

tanya12
Contributor

Postby tanya12 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:42 pm

Ive been doing a cup of plain kefir a day and it seems to be serving me well.

maxny1
Regular Contributor

Postby maxny1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:24 pm

I hear the skepticism, but I tolerate these fine, personally. I'm not advising anyone else to do this. Talk to your GI/ID Doc and read the scholarly literature, if you so choose.

Prescription VSL#3 has up to 900 billion CFU per day, I don't exceed that.

A healthy GI tract has hundreds of trillions of bacteria, thousands of strains. That is part of the theory behind FMT, of course. So even 900 billion a day and 100+ strains via supplements is a drop in the bucket.

Also, many or most of the species in these probiotics do occur naturally in the human GI tract, ie Lactobacillus (reuteri, acidophilus, brevis, casei, rhamnosus) and Bifidobacterium (breve, bifidum, longum, lactis), and others have been used in the manufacture of fermented foods for centuries.

I am rather desperate not to have another recurrence, and I'm not under any delusions here. Evidence is conflicting and there aren't enough robust studies yet, although biotech companies are working on formulations as we speak.

Napper
Regular User

Postby Napper » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:50 am

Rite...I hear a lot about S Boulardii and plan on starting that. What do you mean by a bacteria probiotic? Can you give me an example? This is all too confusing to me.

Thank you so much!!

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:19 pm

Napper, what he means is that sacc boulardii is a YEAST not a bacterium. And most of the other probiotics are bacteria.

Napper
Regular User

Postby Napper » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:40 pm

So, there's two of these.... One is more expensive. I bought the less expensive one. I have no idea why there is a difference... they both have the same thing.

https://smile.amazon.com/Florastor-Prob ... sules&th=1

https://smile.amazon.com/Biocodex-Flora ... 0+capsules

Also, is there something else I should be taking. Someone mentioned a refrigerated kind...Colon Health. Should I take both?

I'm so confused!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”