Concerned and frustrated

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Maeve
Brand New Poster

Concerned and frustrated

Postby Maeve » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:32 pm

In 2013 I had a tooth abscess and was prescribed two weeks of clindamycin. I got c diff shortly after starting the antibiotic and was taken to the ER. I was put on Flagyl for almost a month to kill the bacterial infection and was lucky it did. It left a host of other health issues such as chronic IBS that determines if I can leave my house or not each day since this all happened.

I'm feeling really terrified at the moment because this past week and a half has seen me in the ER three times, I was admitted into the hospital because I had a 8mm kidney stone that I couldn't pass. I told them no antibiotics. They said that was fine, but the surgeon who performed the procedure to remove the kidney stone insisted on giving me a small amount of antibiotic intravenously before the procedure to be safe of infection. This happened all quickly and I don't even remember what kind of antibiotic was used.

The doctor knew my history and he has reassured me that the little amount he gave me couldn't possibly give me a relapse of c diff. He said it was only in my system for at the most of eight hours. I don't know if it was intravenous through the kidney or liver. After the procedure I got to go home three hours later and I was just so glad to be home. Yesterday same feeling, but this morning I'm terrified I'm going to get this back. I'm taking culturelle probiotics, but I've had the most horrible gas. I just want to make it through this whole experience without getting a relapse of c diff.

I actually feel guilty even wanting or feeling the right to vent because I've been one of the lucky ones and I know this. I don't want to take away from the people who have truly suffered from this horrible nightmare. I'm just scared right now and I feel very helpless.

I'm sorry for posting when I really only have minimal problems, but I needed to vent somewhere.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Concerned and frustrated

Postby NanciT » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:58 pm

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

It sounds like the procedure went well and there are no signs of CDIFF but we all understand the Fear! Having been through it once, it's understandable. Just don't let it take over and as you recover from your procedure hopefully all will be well.
There are many including myself that have been on antibiotics post CDIFF and all is well.

The gas may be due to the probiotics, maybe cut down a bit
NanciT

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:34 pm

Probiotics cause gas when you first start them. Every person reacts to them differently too, so Align or digestive advantage brand might be better for you. I'd guess the urologist would use an antibiotic that is filtered primarily through the kidney since that's where your stone was. Sorry you had to deal with that. I've heard they are super painful!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:13 am

There are options for help for your IBS if it is so severe. If you are seeing a GI ask about them. If you are not, make an appointment with one.
There is a medical food called Enteragam that is specifically for IBS-d that has worked well for many, and 2 new medications, xifaxan (an old med but new for IBS) and verbozi.
I have used 2 of them with really good results.

Rita

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:24 am

Maeve
Don't be scared , not everyone who gets Cdiff can end up with a relapse after antibiotic use. For example my grandfather had a horrible case of Cdiff colitis in 2014 but he was cured with 10 days of flagyl and because of his chronic pulmonary condition he needs to take antibiotics at least four times per year . He was put on the highest offenders like Cipro or Amoxicillin but he did not relapse. I agree with Nanci , the gas can be due to the probiotic , cut back on it and see if things get better.

Maeve
Brand New Poster

Postby Maeve » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:17 pm

Thank you for the replies. I appreciate it.

Yes, I know there are options for severe IBS. Everything that has been tried so far I've been allergic since my system is very sensitive. Thank you for your concern though.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”