Post Cdiff Update - the body goes crazy

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
sevla
Regular Contributor

Post Cdiff Update - the body goes crazy

Postby sevla » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:41 pm

Hi everyone,
It has been a while since I have posted as life has been crazy busy, but I guess that's a good sign!

As some of you know, I have had cdiff for 4 months last summer until I finally had an FMT enf od August. I am now almost 8 months out.
Since then I have been struggling mostly with skin issues and allergies. I must say that I have had eczema and atopic dermatitis for many years, but nothing compared to what has been going on since cdiff. I am allergic to anything touching my skin - I break out in hives or get a rash easily. I have had a rash behind my ears for 8 months now. I also have developed a cold allergy! If I am outside in temperatures lower than 55 degrees I break out in hives (the areas exposed to cold).

So I have seen a bunch of dermatologists to get to the bottom of this until I started talking a couple of people with similar problems since cdiff and I think I have a better answer to what is happening to my body. I must have some problems with the mast cells and an overproduction os histamines. I have read a lot about it, and I have been eating a diet super high in histamines (anything fermented - kefir, sauerkraut, kimchi, kombucha - which I have been eating daily since fmt; eggs, avocados, etc). Basically, I already was prone to allergies and similar things, but since cdiff, my mast cells have gone crazy and I have not helped by eating foods high in histamine... I need to find an allergist, but in the meantime, I will take OTC anti-histamine pills.

I just wanted to share this story with everyone in case someone has similar issues and is looking for answers, or to hear more about other people's stories in case they have had similar issues.

Cdiff does a number on our bodies..and this whole histamine is so crazy!...

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Post Cdiff Update - the body goes crazy

Postby beth22 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:39 am

We had two other posters that I can recall that had mast cell issues after c difficile. One was a nurse from Brazil and the other was amyc. You might want to look up their old posts. I know Amy took antihistamines as well and they helped her. There are blood tests to determine your levels. I had them done to see if that was causing my issues, but mine were ok.

sevla
Regular Contributor

Postby sevla » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:43 am

Thanks, Beth. I definitely want to do blood work and get the needed tests to see if how my levels are. I am cutting down on all fermented food anyways to see if I feel any changes. I will check the posts from those other two people. Thanks again!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:29 am

Hi Sevla

Great to hear from you! Sorry you are still having the issue's with this, I do remember you mentioning it in the past. It seems some of us are left over with various issues...and hopefully in time things will improve. Especially those who were on medications for awhile.
Hope things improve for you and nice to hear from you!
NanciT

sevla
Regular Contributor

Postby sevla » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:15 pm

Thanks, Nanci! It has been a crazy recovery but I do have hope that those of us who are left with issues after cdiff will get to "smooth ceiling" and balance our bodies back to normal.
Hope all is well with you!

simon
Brand New Poster

Postby simon » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:42 am

Me too!
I have had terrible problems for a year or so with breathing issues and excess saliva, nausea, anxiety and some regular allergic stuff too, following c. diff and subsequent recurring c. diff.
I have taken an antihistamine today, all symptoms went away and suddenly I thought... wait a minute here...
Sure enough, I did some research, and indeed histamine sensitivity regularly follows bowel problems, including Chrohns, SIBO and C diff.
Histamine is important in food digestion but bowel problems cause a decrease in diamine oxidase (dao), the very enzyme needed to break down the histamine!
The histamine our body produces isn't broken down properly, nor is the stuff we eat, and so our body reacts to it.
You can get dao supplements and it will slowly get better!
I am so pleased I have discovered this information. As usual, I will now go and explain it the doctor so we make a plan of action. Yippeee.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:41 am

Simon
This post is very old , poster is not active on the site anymore.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”