Christina's Case History

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
Christina
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1718
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:13 pm

Christina's Case History

Postby Christina » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:41 pm

I have had C-Diff since June of 2005. I supposedly got it from taking Doryx(an antibiotic for acne).My sympotms first appeared as nausea,gas,fatigue weakness and freqeunt BM's.After 5 weeks of this the D. began. My doctor at the time, kept telling me it was virus and kept treating me with meds.Finally, I went to the ER because of the stomach pain.They did a full stomach CT scan which came out fine. I was sent home and back at the ER again with more stomach pain a couple of weeks later.Another CTscan was done which again came out fine. I was then reffered to a GI doc.by the ER.My regular Dr. said they could no longer help me because they didn't know what was wrong!
GI doc ran stool samples which came back negative.I continued getting sicker.Finally, the week after the Fourth of July, the Gi doc said that we neede to do a colonoscopy right away. It was done the next day. They called me the next morning and told me that the stool they extracted came back positive for C-Diff. Everything else from the test looked great.
I was put on Flagyl for 14 days.Then 2 1/2 weeks later relapsed. They put me back on Flagyl for 21 days.During this time I had 3 negative stool results! I was OK for 5 weeks and it just reoccurred
this past Tuesday(Oct.11).My GI doc said they could no longer help me and that my new primary Dr. could.I went to my new PCD who said they did not know what to do and wanted to put me back on the Flagyl.
I ended up in the ER twice this Wednesday and Thursday with dehydration.Finally they put me on Vanco. and referred me to a GI doc at Ohio State University.who saw me the following day.He wants me to stay on the Vanco. for 2 1/2 weeks and then when I go back to see him we will talk about tapering off.I am taking the Vanco. and eating one yogurt per day as he has told me to do. the D. did stop after three doses of the Vanco.I will keep everyone updated.

Christina
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1718
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:13 pm

Postby Christina » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:01 pm

I just wanted to update everyone on what has gone on.A few weeks ago I was in the hospital for 5 days.They gave me every GI test I can imagine and everything came out fine.No other problems.They pulled me off my Vanco and sent me home.I honestly thought they were full of it and decided to go to see a C-diff expert listed on this site who will be treating me from here on out. I just started the pulse/taper he recommended on 11-26-05.I am now taking 2 125's2x/day and will taper 5 more weeks and I'll also be adding Florastor by his recommendation in the weeks to follow.It has almost been 6 months for me now,my life and my families life has changed dramatically.
Last edited by Christina on Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:34 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Christina
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1718
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:13 pm

Postby Christina » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:41 am

My last taper did not go so well I had to up the Vanco as I started to feel "iffy".I just started to taper again last week and I'll let you all know how it goes this time.I'm not sure it's gone but I'm trying to stay positive.

Christina
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1718
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:13 pm

Postby Christina » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:29 pm

I finished my 3 months of Vanco. and the taper on Feb 6,2006.I have relapsed 8 days later on the 14th.Happy Valentines' Day! This is now my third relapse.Please GOOOOOOO AWAY now!!!!!! I am taking Vanco 250mg three times a day for two weeks and then Xifaxin for another two weeks.I hope this works this time.I have had it.

Christina
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1718
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:13 pm

Postby Christina » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:09 pm

Just another old update....

On day six of the Xifaxan I have once again relapsed.I am back on 2000 mg of Vanco for the next 3 days and then down to 3-250's a day until we go over more options with the Dr. sometime in the near future.

Christina
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1718
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:13 pm

Postby Christina » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:15 am

I met with my Dr. this past Monday and was given 5 options at this point.I was able to choose which option I wanted to go with and am also allowed to change my mind at any time.I've decided that since I have had two relapses within 2 weeks of each other I am just worn out.I need a break mentally and physically.My kids will also be out of school in three months and I absolutely don't want them to have a horrible summer like last year.I will stay on a maintenance does of Vanco for the next six months without coming off so that I can get on with life for awhile.After 6 months I will have several options to choose from.I will meet with my Dr. this summer with my choice of treatment for the Fall. I am trying to adjust to the fact that c-diff is not leaving anytime soon.For some reason it loves living inside my body and for now I'm going to try to forget about it.I have two trips planned with my family for the near future and I plan on enjoying every minute of every day for the next 6 months.I'll update this again in the summer as decision time gets closer.

Christina
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1718
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:13 pm

Postby Christina » Wed May 24, 2006 12:29 pm

Just a quick update as I'm not feeling well. I am now in the middle of my fifth relapse. We'll see what happens next!

I changed my mind on my decision from the last entry and am trying to get a positive C-diff test to get to Minnesota for the stool transfer. A very recent positive test is their requirement along with 3 previous positive tests.After getting my Dr.'s approval I've decided to get sick again in order to give it a shot.
Last edited by Christina on Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Christina
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1718
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:13 pm

Postby Christina » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:18 am

I'm back on Vanco for 14 days and then I'll go off again to try to get another positive as I got a false negative last time.Yippee!! Here we go again. Hopefully this time it'll work. I must be out of my mind.
Last edited by Christina on Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Christina
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1718
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:13 pm

Postby Christina » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:14 pm

I had the stool transfer on 6/21/06 in Duluth, MN. I am waiting to see if it worked. Keep your fingers crossed!

Christina
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1718
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:13 pm

Postby Christina » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:55 am

I relapsed on the Fourth of July. Two weeks after my stool transfer. I'm not sure what's going to happen next but I'll update this when I find out.
I am Minnesota's only true failure to date. Lucky me!
Last edited by Christina on Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Christina
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1718
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:13 pm

Postby Christina » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:39 am

Yet another update. Since everything else has failed I have decided to try the last option I have left right now. I just had my first round of IVIG which is used for severe C-diff and a last resort when all else fails. I'm back on the good old Wx3 now. Off Vanco starting today and will be going back in September and October for two more rounds of IVIG.
It was very easy and I had no problems with it what so ever. This is the last of all there is to try so I'm hoping this works. Keeping my fingers crossed once again.
Last edited by Christina on Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:42 am, edited 5 times in total.

Christina
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1718
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:13 pm

Postby Christina » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:24 pm

Tested positive 10/8/06 again. Had third IVIG in isolation, on 10/10 during a serious relapse and am back on Vanco for the time being. The fun never ends!
Last edited by Christina on Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christina
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1718
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:13 pm

Postby Christina » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:51 am

Did 3 days of Vanco to get things under control and am currently back off again since 10/13 to see if this third IVIG will help. I don't think at this point any of us are too hopeful. Once again time will tell.

Christina
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1718
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:13 pm

Postby Christina » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:26 pm

Just an update:I tested positive last week on 11/8/06. But have been able to tolerate mild symptoms therefore have not had to go back on Vanco as of yet. I am taking 6 Pepto tablets a day / Dr.'s orders and using Bentyl and Zofran when needed.I'm also drinking 1 DanActive a day and eating 2 Activias a day. I'm functioning pretty well for the most part.We're hoping at some point the good bacteria will overtake the bad and am trying to wait it out until unless my symptoms get more severe.
If the IVIG's have not done anything else they have given me energy and have made my symptoms mild for the time being. I've only had 3 days of Vanco since Sept 2nd! I have definitely seen and been given proof that if your body can mount the proper immune response your body will try to fight it off. I have relapsed 3 times since my first IVIG all except one retracted without treatment after about 5 hours.
I'll give another update when and if I relapse again at which time I'll need to go back on the Vanco indefinitely.
Last edited by Christina on Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Christina
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1718
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:13 pm

Postby Christina » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:20 am

Still no Vanco. I wanted to add on here that I found out I have a J strain of c-diff, REA type J7/9. It was cultured by Dr. Dale Gerding in Chicago.
Last edited by Christina on Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.


Return to “Case Histories and Updates”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests