Toria is new here

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
Toria
New User

Toria is new here

Postby Toria » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:44 am

I was in the hospital in July for a knee replacement. I also had some courses of antibiotics over the past few months. This triggered a case of C Diff. Ended up in the hospital over the Labor Day weekend and was told after a CAT scan that I had an inflamed colon and colitis. The pain was great and of course there was D. The diagnosis was antibiotic acquired colitis probably C Diff although no tests ever came back positive for C diff. After a day or so in the hospital on flagyl which made me think I was dying, I was put under the treatment of an infectious disease doctor who switched me to vanco and I started to improve. The doctor said the tests were very poor and sent back a lot of false negatives and my case was certainly c diff. I had the orangey yellow D with a kind of sweetish odor. I was released from the hospital and began to get better. I was put on a fourteen day course of liquid vanco which I just finished on Monday. Now I am starting to get soft movements and I am afraid I will relapse. I have felt like I have a slightly queasy stomach and there are growlings and rumblings from time to time. I saw the ID doctor yesterday and he said if I relapse he wants me to do a vanco taper if it returns. I asked him about Difficid and he kind of scorned it as too expensive and new and has had good results with vanco. I am also taking Florastor as I have from the beginning, Culturelle, and now another probiotic. I take Florastor twice a day and alternate culturelle and another strain of probiotic. I am also doing yogurt. I also asked my doctor about testing and he said the testing protocols are very poor at the hospital we go to and they are waiting for something new that involves DNA. He treats is treating on symptoms. He says he has been involved in C diff from when it was discovered and his practice is limited to it. That's all he does. I asked him about fecal transfer and he pooh poohed it (no pun intended) as an extreme measure he thinks is unnecessary. He believes you can be rid of it through drug treatment and rebulding the flora in the system which can take some time. I am a little depressed about the idea of relapsing. I really want to be rid of this thing. I guess I will wait another day to decide if its just me coming off the vanco and my system adjusting or if its really a relapse.

Toria
New User

Re: Toria is new here

Postby Toria » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:36 am

Update...after feeling like I might be relapsing on Tuesday....I felt well on Wednesday. Haven't had to go for twenty four hours which is a good sign...no D. I have been trying to rebuild my colon through probiotics so maybe they are taking seed. I think its just a waiting game now. Hopefully I won't relapse.

Toria
New User

Re: Toria is new here

Postby Toria » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:44 am

Update....so far I have not relapsed. Eating most things but being careful. Still have mild tummy rumbles especially at night various gurgles and things going on down there especially in the early morning hours before getting up. I am praying not to relapse. still taking probiotics.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”