Marys Case History

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
MaryRN1969
New User

Marys Case History

Postby MaryRN1969 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:36 am

My story is so much like others here. I had a tooth abcess on me in December 09 and was started on Clindamycin and Flagyl at the same time. Went back to the dentist in January and the infection was still there so I took another round of Clindamycin followed by Flagyl. In Febuary 10, I knew something wasn't right so I sought out a GI MD. He did 2 stool test and it came back positive for c.diff. He put me on 14 days of Flagyl and four days after completion, I ran a fever with severe D. I knew it was back so I called the MD and he had me submit 2 more samples, which were positive. He then put me on 14 days of Vanc (which is extremely expensive). Five days later, 101 temp with severe, uncontrollable D. I think that is one of the key signs for me is the urgency. He sent me to the ER in which the ER doctor treated me very poorly, almost like he didn't believe me. I am a healthy 40 year old woman. He did a CT scan which showed no colitis, my WBC were 15,000 and I was so sick, I felt so bad all over. He gave me a IV dose of Flagyl and PO Vanc. Sent me home on both of those meds to be taken over a 10 day course. Of course I didn't want to start them until I got the results of the stool speciman, which of course was once again positive for c.diff. Ok so, I am 7 days into this treatment and my GI told me to come see him when I am done with these abx if the D comes back. I am so frustrated. After reading the post on this site, Ive started myself on Florastor 2xd and probiotics. I eat yogurt 1-2xdaily. Doing everything I can to kick this stupid bug :(

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”