Laurie's Case History (mommy23)

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
Mommy23
Long Time Contributor

Laurie's Case History (mommy23)

Postby Mommy23 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:41 pm

My story starts like so many others. Had wisdom teeth extracted May 22nd 2008, starting having severe pain within a couple days, developed dry socket that wouldn't go away. Surgeon thought there might be a possible infection(turns out there never was) He kept telling me he didn't think there was infection but gave me AB's anyways. Given Clindamycin, after 5 days started having burning in my throat, told to stop then given Levaquin....that's when the nightmare really started. Took only two pills had a very bad reaction, swelling in my tendons, pain in my back...rushed to the ER. I told the Dr that I had every side effect mentioned in the leaflet which of course, I read after the fact. His response was don't bother reading that stuff they just list all the "possible" side effects, they never happen. I couldn't believe my ears! From that day on I dealt with problems walking, nerve effects had tons of scans, tests etc.... About 2 weeks later had a day of D* and called the doctor right away, I just knew it wasn't normal. Thankfully she order a stool test and of course, the result was Cdiff positive. Actually, she didn't tell me it was Cdiff, the nurse called and said I had a bacterial infection. I googled flagyl and figured out what I had. The D* actually subsided and my doctor said I didn't need to start the meds, so I waited and retested 2 weeks later. Positive again. Started Flagyl and yet again had a similar reaction with peripheral neuropathy, stopped that and started Vanco and my journey began.
To date I've taken vanco a number of times
*10day course
pos again after 2 weeks
*14 day course, saw a different GI who added a taper for another 7 weeks or so
relapse on day 30 after numerous negative results
*started 2 weeks of vanco followed by Ramifaxin saw an ID who felt that I am a good candidate for a stool transplant, changed back to vanco to prepare for the transplant.
Tomorrow I meet with the GI who has agree to do the infusion.

Throughout all this I have research and read as much info as I can this site is a blessing.
My strength comes from God alone, I have felt his presence every step of the way.
I will continue to update

Mommy23
Long Time Contributor

Postby Mommy23 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:58 am

I made an error on the date, my wisdom teeth were extracted May 2009, not 08.

Mommy23
Long Time Contributor

Postby Mommy23 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:12 pm

Now been back on vanco since the end of Nov, things did not work out with the transplant here. I've tapered myself down to one pill per day. I'm hopeful that Duluth will work out soon. I have terrible pain in both sides of my back which is at its worst, apparently somehow related to constipation. Can't believe how messed up my system is. Will continue to post on progress.

Mommy23
Long Time Contributor

Postby Mommy23 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:45 am

It's been a crazy few months....Here is my update.

Jan 25th I finally made the decision to do the home infusions, I was tired of relying on doctors so I took matters into my own hands. I am happy to say I've tested negative for cdiff since. I've now had five tests and I'm at the 8 week mark of being off vanco.

Unfortunately, I still have many symptoms every day that mimic the cdiff.(thus the reason I've done so many tests) I wish I could say the infusions worked magically and I'm symptom free, but that doesn't seem to be the case. This week I finally saw a great doctor the one who discovered cdiff back in the 70's so he knows his stuff!(He practices out of John Hopkins in the ID clinic) At this point they believe I'm dealing with SIBO or a very bad case of post IBS. There are many days I wonder if this is cdiff, but I guess with so many tests I need to move on.

Right now, I'm not interested in taking more abx's for the SIBO, so I'll need to come up with some different options. My current plan is to have the ID doctor work with the GI to hopefully help me get better.

I strongly believe that the infusions are the best, proven treatment for this awful illness.(Almost all my doctors agree, but none of them would do them or could get the hospital's approval, which is just ridiculous) Certainly not a lovely procedure, but I wouldn't hesitate to do them again if needed.

Mommy23
Long Time Contributor

Re: Laurie's Case History (mommy23)

Postby Mommy23 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:31 pm

Been awhile it is now Oct 2012, I have been cdiff free for over 3 years. Unfortunately, I gave up going to doctors and still have very bad stomach issues, but I believe the infusions saved my life. So glad this site was available and gave me the knowledge and the tools I needed to fight this.

I've had a rough 12 months with dental issues, and because I seem to have great luck none of my dentists are able to figure out what the issue is. I'm in severe pain every day, had a root canal and that didn't fix the problem. I expect I will need an extraction at this point. Freaked out to say the least!

Keep up the fight, arm yourself with research and knowledge--never give up!

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”