Leslie's case history; mistakes made, lessons learned

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
gracehope
Brand New Poster

Leslie's case history; mistakes made, lessons learned

Postby gracehope » Wed May 06, 2009 4:11 pm

Hear is my story. I am a 34 year old female, business owner, wife and mother of two girls ages 3 and 6. Nov. 08 I had what I thought to be a sinus infection, I was out of town and went to a clinic where the doctor said he didn't see any infection, but gave me Keflex anyway. As someone who has always taken antibiotics, I didn't think twice about it (mistake #1). A few weeks later around Dec. 4th, 2008 I became very sick and had to go to the ER. Turns out I had a kidney infection. I have a history of pyelonephritis (had it when I was 8 months pregnant) and my father was a kidney transplant recipient, so I had to go on Cipro to get that cleared up (not a mistake). A week or so later as I finished the round of Cipro I went to my primary doctor and gave a urine test. It came out clear, but the doc said that since I was leaving the next day for Disney World that she should extend the Cipro for about 5 days just in case (mistake #2). The next day, the 12th of Dec. I had a non surgery foot procedure called a PRP injection scheduled for a long standing injury. Because I was going to Florida I decided to get a pedicure before my procedure (mistake #3). After the pedicure I got the procedure, got put in my boot and on crutches and headed for Flordia. On Wed. of our trip I noticed that my big toe on my procedure foot was red, swollen and sore at the base of the nail bed. I let it go until we got home. On the 23rd of Dec. I was scheduled for a biopsy of my cervix becuase of bad results I got back in Nov. I had to wait that out over Christmas, but in the meantime on the 26th I just couldn't take my toe throbbing anymore and went to a clinic. I was warm to the touch, etc. The doctor did not culture it or anything, just said it looks like staph and is definitely an infection and put me on Doxycycline (mistake #4). After New Years the next week my biopsy results came back negative, but I did have inflamation and the OB wanted me on Doxycycline and Flagyl (mistake #5). Turns out that is only a precaution and some OB's take a wait and see approach on inflamation. I was already on Doxycycline for my toe, so I just added the Flagyl. Got terrible oral yeast and yeast on the backside. Went on medicine for that. Finished those and in Jan. toe infection had not went away. Went back to primary doc. and she just looked at it and said okay let's try Bactrim (mistake #6). Went through Jan. and it just got worse. Finally on Feb. 6th I decided to go see my foot doctor. She took one look and said we need to get that toenail off. Removed my toenail, cultured it and sent me home. Cultures came back fine, but the infection was a little further down and they risked damaging the nail bed forever if they opened the skin. The infection got worse within a week and I had an MRI, they thought it had gotten into the bone. MRI was clear, but had to get rid of the infection fast and was put on Clindamycin. That finally got the infection, but I was leaving for D.C., so the doctor decided to extend the Clindamycin for another 7 days (mistake #7). I returned home, got a sinus infection or cold and took 7 more days of Keflex (mistake #8) and scheduled surgery for my long standing foot problem on March 23, 2009. I went and the surgery was mild and outpatient. I was only in the hosptial about 4 hours total. I was sent home and took Percocet for about 7 days or so (mistake #9). Turns out that stopped the colon and let the c diff just grow. Two days off the percocet on April 3, 2009 I came down with the diarrhea that everyone on here knows about. We were out of town again in TN and after about 10 times that day and blood in the stool and severe cramps I went to the ER. The ER doc listened to my history and suspected c diff, but I couldn't produce anymore stook, until about 4 in the morning and the sample was small, had blood in it and urine in it as well. He went ahead and put me on Flagyl and said to get home and get to my doc. on Mon. He also sent me home with percocet for the pain (mistake #10) you don't give people with c diff something to slow the colon down. The fever, chills, severe cramps came on that Sat. as we made it home and that Sun. by Sun. night I stopped the percocet because we read it might not be good. I had an appointment with my new primary doctor on Tues. She could not hear bowel sounds and sent me for a CT stat. The CT scan came back clear except that I had two abdominal lymph nodes that were swollen. My blood work came back that my liver enzymes were elevated, near 200 on each one. My c diff test from TN came back negative. They had to send it to a hospital in the next county. So by the end of that week I wind up at the ER in my hometown. They test my liver and the enzymes are still up, but other than that and the symptoms they can't figure it out. I go back to the ER the next day and give them a beautiful c diff sample, no urine or anything. It was so classic c diff looking that I was actually proud. The nurse comes to take it and says, "I'm not your nurse, but I'll take it". She then takes it over to the desk and says "what am I supposed to do with this," No surprise a few days later it comes back negative. By that time I was in the GI's office and he says he wants to do a colonoscopy to rule things out. I had a perfect one 4 years ago. We did it on April 16th, that was also the last day I took Flagyl. Twenty four hours after the colonoscopy and the flagyl the fever came on me. I had continued having the loose stools all along. I called the GI office and they told me to take Tylenol. They must have looked at my chart because not two minutes later they called back and said the stool they took from the colonoscopy was c diff positive! They put me on Vanco 125 mg x4 a day. I finished that last Fri and gave them a sample on Mon. Although I do feel better, I still went to the bathroom 6 times yesterday and twice today. I called them and they said that sample came back negative and FINALLY my liver enzymes were normal! That's the greatest praise, but I can't help but feel like the c diff might not be completely gone. I have also fought off a sinus infection and fluid in the ears during all of this with the help of my new doctor, a coritsone shot and lots of water, mucinex and decongestants.

Now for lessons learned:

We are at the mercy of the doctors, but that doesn't mean we can't question the use of antibiotics.

Try to avoid clinics, ER's etc. and go to one doctor. Even though I told my history and antibiotic use to every doctor it just didn't seem to resonate.

Don't let doctors extend antibiotics "just in case" especially when it looks like you are improving.

Doctors don't have all of the answers.

Don't get pedicures or manicures or other risky behavior that could put you at risk for infection.

Take probiotics and yogurt. I have used Stonyfield, Culterelle one a day and Florastor twice a day. Although my doctors have approved this, none of them suggested it.

And last but not least, especially if you are female, young and reatively healthy do not let doctors dismiss you as anxious, or anxiety prone. Before I tested positve, I had more than one male doctor in the ER tell me that anxiety was not good for the bowels and could be causing my problems. I finally got so sick of it that I told one, "look, I've been through a lot in my life and I could sit here and give you all of the details if you like, but even at my worst I have never went from going to the bathroom three times a week to six times a day. I am sick and there is something wrong with me." He didn't have much to say after that.

I am so happy for this website and the support given. I see parts of my story in so many others. Have I beat this? Time will tell, but I have learned a lot although it was a hard lesson to learn.

I must end by saying that I have not known a day in my life when I didn't know about God or His Son, so I didn't have any 'come to Jesus" moments during all of this because I already knew Him. But I feel I must give Him all the Glory for bringing me through this and for the healing and strengthened relationship we now have. I have so much compassion and feel for every one on here who has went through this or is currently going through it. Especially the new mothers, young kids and the elderly. I couldn't even imagine being in their shoes with this terrible disease. I don't even know if I am through it so I'm not much encouragement to others, but I do know who my Strength is and I pray that others will find their's.

God Bless and hang in there.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”