Donna P's case history

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
Donna
New User

Donna P's case history

Postby Donna » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:58 pm

I was 8 months pregnant and diagnosed with a UTI, they put me on Keflex. All was good. Then about 2 weeks later my water broke and had to have a c-section ( my babies are always breeched ). things went well, stayed in the hosp for 4 days then sent home. That same day had to go to the ER my incision opened a bit. Then sent home. The next day after my discharge I woke up with severe abdominal pain, so bad I was in constant tears and my husband had to help me walk. Went to the ER again and found out I had a uterine infection. Stayed in the hosp for 3 days with IV antibiotics and sent home with Clindimyacin. Felt better that day I was discharged. The next day I woke up from a nap to be in severe pain again. Went back to the ER and stayed for another 4 days. They gave me a cocktail of antibiotics through IV. On my last day there a nurse warned me about c diff and what to watch for. The nurses did tell me to eat yogurt, and my husband did get a probiotic but it wasen't soon enough or I was doomed anyways no matter what I did, afterall they put me on alot of meds. I was sent home with Keflex. After I was done that the very next day I had D and cramping and it was getting worse. I went to my Dr and told her what the nurse told me about c diff. She didn't think I had it but she tested me anyways. She said Kflex didn't cause c diff and that I should have a constant fever. Well it came back positive. I was put on flagyl for 14 days. During that time an infection developed under my incision site. I was keflex and flagyl at the same time. I remained on flagyl for a few more days after the keflex was done. The infection didn't completley go away, but in time I cleared it up with home remidies. 3 weeks to the day I was finished my flagyl and the cramping and loose stool started again. it was getting worse so I saw my Dr and she tested me again but it was before the weekend ao my results wouldn't be back until Mon or Tues. I asked to be put on Flagyl anyways as I was getting worse. She wanted me to be on Vanco but I didn't as she said I can't nurse while on Vanco.
Well it's been 54 days since my last day of Flagyl. I was feeling great, cramping subsided and things "firmed up". Until last Friday I had loose stool again and went severel times. I think it was something I ate. I did over induldge myself. I've had cramping on and off for a few days now and my stool is loose again. I'll go 2-3 times a day. I'm hoping things just got irritated. Time will tell. I'll go se my Dr this week just for a follow up and to get tested again if things continue this way.
I was taking Natren Trinity probiotics while on the flagyl and lots of yogurt.
I was seeing a natropath during the relapse. She had me on the following:

Vit D 4000 iu ( good for the colon )
Vit C 1000 mg
Lactobaccillus sporogenes 3 x a day
Multi vit for baby
She also had me change my diet, as she had a Vega test done on me and it said I had developed food sensitivies/allergies which can cause more inflammation.
After the flagyl She put me on HMF ( Human micro flora )Replete a strong probiotic.
Now I'm still taking vit D & C, Lacto sporogenes, and now HMF Forte 2x a day.

I was starting to eat normal, but now that my guts are acting up again I'm eating very limited stuff. Time will tell. I'll keep you updated.
Baby's doing well. And for those worried about other family getting it, I have 3 kids now and a hubby. Noone else is sick. I had them use another bathroom while flairing up but hubby used my bathroom. I bleached the bathroom at least once a week and sprayed every time I " went " and still do. I wash my clothes with alittle bleach and babies too. I clean his room with bleach and use gloves when I change him. I'll wipe the kitchen counters once in a while but I don't go crazy. And of coarse I wash my hands alot!!! My youngest daughter has had a kidney infection during this time and has not come down with symptoms from the antibiotcs so far and it's been amonth ( I keep praying she'll be ok ).
Things seem ok so far but with patience and lots of prayers we'll all get through it. We all have our ups and downs, at one point I thought this would be the end of me, then my husband laughed and said no it's not.
For me the most Impotant thing was keeping my faith during this all and having famliy very close to help.
Everyone keep your chin up!! and keep washing. lol

Donna
New User

Postby Donna » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:59 pm

Well It's Dec 9/2008
It's been 83 days since I finished my last dose of Flagyl. I'm feeling alot better. I had a great week last week, I was able to eat lasagne and ceaser salad with no problems. I've tried pizza and pasta, the next day later my guts hurt and rumbled again but nothing major ( could be a stomach bug, it's going around).No D or looseness. I'm still having a bruised feeling localized to the bottom right of my belly botton since the pizza and pasta, so I gues I'm not completely back to normal yet, but it's promising.
I praise the lord daily for my health, without him I'd be a wreck!!

Donna
New User

Postby Donna » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:50 pm

So it's been 140 days since my last dose of meds. I still have my ups and downs. Today I had D no cramps. It's probably from what I ate yesterday, who knows. If it keeps up I'll go see the Dr.
I see my Natropath tomorrow, so I'll mention things to Her and see what she says.
I was feeling great. The cramps and gas had subsided. I was getting back to eating more like I was before, but with this bout of D I'll take it easy today. There are stomach bugs going around too so I know I'm susceptible to them.
I don't bleach as much. i still wash my hands like crazy.
My 3 1/2 year old had another kidney infection, she was on Amoxicillin. I pumped her full of yogurt and probiotics and still am now that her meds are complete. She's not showing any signs of C diff, so here's hoping she's alright. She'll be going in at the end of the month to have a procedure done to prevent the UTI's from occuring anymore.

I continue to pray for us all.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”