Patrick's Case History

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
ohleary
New User

Patrick's Case History

Postby ohleary » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:10 pm

Hi all,

My story started with Mono. About 6 weeks ago I, at 41, came down with Mono. At the time, it was just fatigue, fever and huge swollen glands. My primary care physician quickly prescribed Augmentin for me (875 mg 4x day!) which I gladly took, as we thought I had some bacterial infection. Well, after about 3 days I didn't feel any better and called her to tell her this. She said, keep at it, so I did. I finished the 10-day course and felt bad still. So then we did blood tests, with Mono tests, which of course, came back positive.

So, I never needed the powerful 875mg Augmentin in the first place. About 5 days after coming off it, I had my first bad day, with cramping, D, urgency, and about 6 trips to the bathroom. The next day was worse, about 9 trips. The third day, the cramps became severe, I spent most of the day bent over on the potty, groaning, probably about 15 trips that day. The stool was not a pretty sight, as I'm sure you all know. I've never seen mucus in there, it alarmed me, but today, it has become a familiar sight.

I went back and she sent me to a Gastro doc. He quickly prescribed me metronidizone (what a nightmare that is) and 7 days worth of probiotics. Having Mono, c. diff infection, and the awful metronidazole at the same time made me miserable! I, like many others, will NEVER take that awful thing again. That said, I felt much better after taking it, and especially stopping taking it. I thought it was over...

About 7 days later, my symptoms came back, this time with more abdominal pain. That was 3 days ago. I have seen another Gastro doc, and he has taken stool samples as he suspects c. diff, but he wants to be sure so he can treat me effectively. He told me to get Florastor, which I have and am starting it tonight while we wait for test results. This relapse is milder than the first time but its still painful and nasty.

As I sit here, after reading all your experiences, and living my own, I sense that antibiotics are not the most effective cure for this affliction. What is vital, is restoring your healthy natural flora, as c. diff can't survive happily in that environment. I may try taking large doses of multiple-strain probiotics for short periods (2-3 days) then off for 2-3 days, then cycle it until I'm better. I don't want to take any more antibiotics, even vancomycin, which I hear doesn't have the same side affects of metronidazole.

Anyway, thats where I am today, not as bad off as many of you, but fighting this awful thing just the same. What I've told others is, "you don't want this."

Best of luck to you all.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”