Patti B's Case History

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
pattibb
New User

Patti B's Case History

Postby pattibb » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:19 pm

Well, here I go. My story is a long one. First I would like to say to all those responsible for this site, a very big THANK YOU!!. When I first came down with c diff I had no where to turn for support, or answers. Now, at least i know I am not alone.

My story starts long ago. I was a young woman, 29 at the time when all this began for me. In December of 1991, after being plaqued by a persistent bacterial vaginosis (or so the drs thought) for over a year and a half, I decided to try cleocin to clear it up. I had read in the PDR the warnings of the drug, and that it can cause a very bad case of diarrhea. I decided to take it anyway because I had never had a problem with any antibiotics in the past. In fact, I was prone to gettin constipated when using antibiotics, so I thought --great, I wont get all clogged up with this one. i had taken lots of antibiotics previously in my medical history, amoxicillin, doxycycline, tetracycline, bactrim ds, etc. Never a problem. Cleocin has permanently changed my life.

Immediately, while taking the cleocin, I noticed a change in my bowel habits. Loose, more frequent stools. I thought once I finished the cleocin all would return to normal. Not so. By the end of January 1992, I was getting pretty sick. I go to my dr, who was clueless. Sends me for a test for c diff(not the toxin test). Test comes back negative. I go on for a couple of months. Loose stools, gas, bad cramping, abdominal pain. I suffered from motility issues, in my colon-believe it is in the transverse colon. I know this now, I didn't then. I couldn't take deep breaths from my diaphragm. When I would sit on the couch, and sort of lay back a little, I would do this roll this with my abdomen, and it would sound like there was a jug of water in there. It was very strange. Oh, and the nausea was one of my chief complaints. I go back to the same dr in April of 1992. He tests me again. Negative again. I am sure it is PMC. Dr. thinks I am insane. I think I am slowly losing my mind. by june of 1992, I am very ill. I am starting to run a fever of 100 to 101. This is high for me, as my body temp runs very low. Okay, he decides to put me on Flagyl. It's been so long ago now, that I don't remember, if I was one for one or two weeks, but I did miraculously start to feel better. I felt improvement, but not recovered. Still in pain, still have motility issues, still very nauseaus. I go to a well respected gastroenterologist in the area. He tests me again for c diff. Again it is negative. He tells me that the flagyl prob took care of the infection. Maybe I am going insane. I told him I had no problems until I took the cleocin, and cleocin is known for causing pseudomembranous colitis. Won't he please just treat me. No he won't. Two weeks later, I call the gastro's office, begging to be put on vancomycin because I feel very sick. The nurse /receptionist gets on the phone, and basically, very sternly tells me, "Do you know how expensive that medication is?" I told her I didn't care, because IWAS SICK!!! So much for that Dr.

In my search for help, I write a letter to a Dr at Hershey Medical Center. Remember that bacterial vaginosis which led to the use of the cleocin in the first place, well Dr. P was able to correctly diagnose it. Over a year and a half and six doctors later(they all misdiagnosed me), he correctly diagnoses me with a treatable viral condition. I thought he was the best thing since sliced bread. Maybe he would help. In November of 1992, I write him a letter, or was it Feb on 1993, basically begging him for help. He wrote me back a very kind letter, along with an rx for vanco 250 mg 4 times a day for 2 weeks. Unfortunatley, I didn't feel much different. I decided just to give it time. During the course of that year I had a kidney infection, and brochitis, and was, of course put on antibiotics for those---rx of floxin for the kidney infection, and biaxcin for the bronchitis. Yeah, more antibiotics.

Summer of 1993. Bad year. My father was diagnosed with ALS that May. In August of that year I decided to try a new dr. Went to see Dr. L at Hershey Medical Center. Long story short. MY FIRST POSITIVE TOXIN TEST in AUGUST of 1993. One year and nine months later, how many tests for the toxin? how many treatments? Ridiculous!! Dr. L prescribes vanco 125mg 4 times a day for 10 days. I asked why, when the 250 mg 4x a day for 2 weeks didn't get rid of it. That was just how he chose to treat me.

Basically, I went on with problems for a while. But I had lost hope. It was a very sad time. My father was dying, I was sick. I remember, one day kneeling down by my father's side , I looked up at him, tears welled up in my eyes, I said, "Dad I wish it was me, and not you." I would gladly have taken his place.

In my time line this is where things get hazy. I don't remember at what point I say Dr. T. Prob sometime in 1995. I told him about my hx with clecin, the treatment, testing, etc. He told me, that in his experience flagyl needs to be used for a minimum of 6 weeks. He put me on flagyl, and cholestyramine, lng term and I recovered. I was good for many years.

September 2001. I am put on amoxicillin for a very sore throat the dr says I need antibiotics to get over. I tell him of my history. I am very leary. This is a new dr. as we have moved to a new town. Immediately I come down with c diff symptoms. He tests me for the toxin. It is negative. Of course. Thankfully, he treats me anyway, longterm flagyl and cholestyramine. It works. I am healthy for 6 and a half years.

Feb 2008. Sinus infection. Double course of z pack. C diff symptoms return. Toxin test is negative. Dr. wants me to have a colonoscopy. Afraid.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”