TNG's case history

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
tng
Brand New Poster

TNG's case history

Postby tng » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:00 am

I came down with diarrhea, fever and cramps on Nov. 25th. I thought I just had food poisoning or something. I had not taken antibiotics in over 18 months. I finally went to a doctor Dec. 17th and the doctor put me on Cipro and Questran. i couldn't take the Questran. I saw a GI on Dec 19th, 2007 and was given a week of Flagyl, which made me feel better. On new years, all the diarrhea came back. I had a colonoscopy on Jan 3rd. Of course, during this time numerous muscousy stools with blood clots were mixed in, especially if my stomach was empty. The GI doc determined that I had colitis that seemed to be 'resolving'. He ruled out Crohn's but was not sure about Ulcerative Colitis. I was given Asacol which didn't seem to help. A week later, I was put on prednisone. The next day I went into the emergency room vomiting and with a horrible headache. I stayed in the hospital for 4 nights. My 2nd night in the hospital i was diagnosed with C Diff. I was put on iv Flagyl, taken off Cipro and began oral vancomycin the next day. I haven't been to work in 3 weeks and just finished my antiobiotics today (Feb. 7th). I've been taking acidophilous, eating yogurt (Activia), taking S. boulardii in the last few weeks, with the S boulardii within a last week. Today slight diarrhea has returned. I am lactose intolerant, and worried about not being able to go back to work. If anyone has support, then please over it.
_____
-tng

tng
Brand New Poster

2nd relapse

Postby tng » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:01 pm

Well, it is now Feb. 15th and i relapsed the night of the 13th with 4 bouts of diarrhea within about an hour. I was off the vancomycin for about 5 days before I relapsed this time. The first relapse was about 4 days after finishing flagyl and cipro before I knew i had c diff. I am going to an infectious disease doctor soon. I haven't found a good infectious disease doctor around the DC area though. does anyone have any recommendations?
i am very interested in the pulse dosing of vanco. Luckily, my GI doctor gave me a prescription for a month of vanco and my wife went and filled the prescription wednesday night. The vanco immediately switches the diarrhea off. It's great. I wish it wasn't so expensive.
I am a 31 year old male and I shouldn't have this! it's ridiculous!
_____

-tng

tng
Brand New Poster

March 19th update

Postby tng » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:26 pm

Well, it's been over a week since i've been on the vancomycin. I think i am C. Diff free now. I am still taking Florastor and eating lots of yogurt, plus taking lots of vitamins and supplements. Hopefully, this is my last case history update! We'll see!
_____

-tng

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”