Marscan's Case History

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
marscan
Regular Contributor

Marscan's Case History

Postby marscan » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:32 am

44 year old otherwise-healthy female. My case started out with an innocent toothache. Dentist prescribed clyamidycine (sp?). Two months later I came down with a sinus infection, went to a local walk in and was given Ammoxycillan (both trips were after normal hours and clinic was conveniently close). The next week went back, symptoms had moved to my chest, and was given a round of Omnicef. Two weeks later went to (finally) see my primary care doc, still not experiencing symptoms of C Diff. She is the first healthcare professional in my lifetime to mention C Diff, explained what to look for, and told me to treat the symptoms of the D and refused to prescribe antibiotics, explaining the signs to watch for with the C Diff. Two hours after I left her office my gut kicked into scary-high gear. She told me to watch it for a couple of days (of course it was a weekend and afterhours), and by the next week (we're women, so we suck it up much too long sometimes), told me to come in fast. She admitted me right then for inpatient testing for C Diff/dehydration. My primary care doc didnt practice out of the hospital as she is retiring soon, so I was in the hands of the on staff team. One stool sample was taken, with no specific protocol to the lab (sample sat for three hours before nurses took it to the lab). Result came back negative and I was given Cipro, IV fluids and sent home. I found this support site and immediately posters advised me Cipro was a high offending antibiotic, not a cure. Symptoms returned immediately, called Primary Care Doc enroute to the Emerrgency Room. PA on duty immediately started Flagyl, 10 days, 1500 mg per and did another sample. Thank God, this one came back positive and I did the Flagyl round. Three days after Flagyl treatment symptoms came back much more violent than before. Primary care doc once again admitted me for IV/retesting, and the Gastroenterolgist on call in the ER reviewed my records. Test came back negative (which I assumed based on other cases/advice from this site), BUT this GI doc recognized it as walkin and talkin like a duck. He deemed the Flagyl treatment a failure, and started me on 7 days Vanco, 4 x 125 mg per day, sending me back to Primary Care doc. Apparently my white blood cell count had gone thru the roof, not sure of numbers as I was in and out of it, but two days on Vanco and they came back down to normal range. Instead of having me stop the Vanco after 7 days, she immediately put me on the Vanco Taper:

4 x Vanco per day (125 mg), then
2 X Vanco per day, and now..

Im taking one Vanco per day, starting "one every other day" tomorrow.

Also, Florastor, based on experiences posted not only of this site, but from my Pharmacist "pen pal" at a company that sells this probiotic and many others. His recommended doseage is:

While on Vanco, taper or otherwise (amounts didnt matter):

2 capsules in the AM, 2 in the evening x 28 days....then
1 capsule in the AM, 1 in the evening X 7 days post antibiotic round...then
1 per day until my body feels cured. He is of the opinion that we do infact know our bodies well, and suggested stopping the Florastor when cure is felt - he's an advocate of no more meds than necessary.

Ive had few problems with the transition days, and am at the stage of "watch worry and wait". If I had to name my biggest symptoms, it would be the emotional phases, well documented on this site, and Ive had to take a very proactive role in my healing. The anxiety is crippling, and leads to my insomnia. I am fortunate to have a Primary Care doc that "hears me", and she has given me good advice and a motherly approach to my healing, and that helps as well, sometimes we just need a little pity eh? She gave me an Rx for ativan to aid with the anxiety and insomnia, believing that stress and lack of sleep are two more enemies to battle (advising me of the addictive nature of this med). I honestly feel that the right doctor/patient relationship is key in the emotional healing that HAS to go along with beating this bug, hand in hand with the meds. On good days I attempt for forget that I am ill and go about my life and not obsess and dwell, and those days are becoming the majority. I can feel my body fighting this beast and I am going to win, with so much help from this site as my main tool. Fingers crossed here, and many thoughts of all of you and your personal battles. You keep me strong. Will post updates, in hopes it helps those that just might have a similar case.

marscan
Regular Contributor

Postby marscan » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:10 pm

Started the next phase of my vanco taper. Took one Sunday, no pill Monday (yesterday). Got that "old familiar feelin" about mid day and dismissed it and went on about my Christmas shopping trying to keep it out of my mind. By evening it was obviously the beast knocking once again, so I sucked down my Florastor. And waited. Heard my first gurgle around 7, and by 9 I was doing the familiar bathroom shuffle, except the experience was what another poster calls "the dry heaves" (such a perfect decription..lol). This went on all night, and this morning I finally passed what was the original C Diff episode-looking mucus. Very small amount, then two "new normals". Some of the familiar symptoms are also back, after two weeks of manic-like energy and feeling great, I feel the fatigue, the cramps/gurgles, almost feverish but no fever,that same dull headache, and that strange blurry-eye thing. Still have no idea what that is...so anyway, doc calls me to see how things are going (she stays in touch, which astounds me) and I told her about my night. Ended up at the lab to get "supplies", and she's gonna do two more days of testing. New test though, think its actually the one where they break down my sample to find out if Im absorbing the vanco, and the usual bloodwork,since my white cells jumped so high the last time. Lab tech spent alot of time going over the specifics (temps for transport etc, but I already knew thanks again to this site), so Im armed and ready, if this in fact going to try and come back. No panic this time, not even going to up my vanco just yet. Hopefully this is just one of those bad days you've all had during transition/taper. And just to rebel, I stopped and had a taco on the way home. Take THAT you horrible beast :)

marscan
Regular Contributor

Postby marscan » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:25 am

Vanco taper ended 4 days ago and my body is screaming for me to take one. Nope, sit y'azz back down you beast. Woke up yesterday, the day after Christmas feeling those sharp stabbing pains (or spasms, whatever the heck they are), regretting every bite of that stuffing and gravy I ate. The pain passed quickly, and the rest of the day was just exhaustion, that freaky blurry-eye thing, and wait and see. No scary stuff was umm..expelled though - so I'll take that as a positive. Woke up this morning to no pain, no gurgles, and still a little tired. I have my "plan b" ready, just in case...I finally found an author at the local university that has written on the new more virulent strain of C Diff in unlikely candidates, and he's an infectious disease doc at U of M. Hoping I wont need him, but ready in case I do. Anyone reading this in my area feel free to PM or email me and I'll share his contact info, as it has been extremely tough to find anyone in my state that treats cases other than the more well known geriatric/inpatient variety. Although Im not quite convinced even those cases could be considered "well known" either. Onward..........

marscan
Regular Contributor

Postby marscan » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:15 am

Today marks 40 days since my last Vanco (V-minus 40) in my countdown and I figured it was time for an update for anyone also counting down. Nothing much to report though, and I have to assume that is a good thing. My doctor did what she considered a "close out" lab at day 30 - which was really just a waste of time and money. It was interesting for me however, because it was the first time I had been tested far enough out from the antibiotics to assure me, that it would be somewhat accurate. It came back negative, and there should (should) be reason to be hopeful, as proper lab handling was followed AND there were no other factors to contribute to a false reading. That was important to me only because Ive had so many weeks of misdiagnosis and false negative lab results. I'll do a small happy dance.

No major signs of IBS, except for one thing. My menstrual cycle is now what knocks me on my azz. Three days prior, I go down with horrible fatigue, flu like symptoms and just a little "d". Nothing even close to the CDiff, but wow. Like many have said however, its alot better than actual C Diff and after that few days is over Im back to normal and continue my countdown to reach that 90 day mark. Four months ago no one could have ever convinced me that I would get over this horrible disease, and now I can almost see an end as a possibility. If I am in fact going to be one of the milder cases statistically, thank you God. It does however, break my heart (and outright anger me) that anyone would have to suffer a more severe form - this has been as ill as I ever want to be. Onward to V-minus 90..........
"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac....."

marscan
Regular Contributor

Postby marscan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:32 pm

V-minus 76, with two more weeks until the much anticipated 90 Day Post Vanco Mark. Amazing difference in energy level, and I actually had my first normal menstrual cycle since I became infected with C Diff. No signs of IBS now, not even food related - although I realize that could still come and go. I actually stopped taking the florastor - just sorta forgot to take it a few days and didnt notice a difference, no side affects from simply "stopping". Ive even "flushed" a few times without detailed analysis beforehand..lol..which HAS to be a good sign - that is one obsession I will not miss. Im almost starting to believe some people really DO get rid of this evil beast with 1-2 rounds of Vanco/flagyl - and it angers me when I realize that had I not been misdiagnosed for so long, I would be much further along in taking my life back. My eternal thanks to this site and its administrators/moderators for helping me to do just that, and my countdown buddies that assured me I was not alone in my healing phases.
"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac....."

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”