Jessica L's case history

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:24 pm

In mid-December, 2003, I was prescribed Clindamycin for a bacterial infection, while pregnant. About a week into the prescription, I started noticing a change in b/ms. I was having diarrhea, when that was especially rare for me. Also urgency and cramping. <BR>When I went for an OB checkup for the baby around that time, I told the dr about my problems. She told me to stop the Clindamycin and wrote out another prescription for amoxicillan. I went to get the Amoxicillan filled -- and the pharmacist said that the drug may "bother my stomach." At that point, I was already experiencing major abdominal cramping and finding it difficult to stand for any period of time, without running to a restroom. So I decided not to take any of the Amox. Meanwhile, the b/ms were getting worse and I called the dr's office and explained that the diarrhea was worse, and that I was worried about dehydration. The dr's office staff told me to stay hydrated, and suggested it was a "stomach flu." They told me to call back in three days (after a weekend) if it was not better. It didn't get better and in fact was worse, so I called the dr's office that Monday. I was in tears, the cramps were so bad. The dr's office had me go pick up a stool sample kit at the hospital. <BR>That night, I started vomiting everything up -- even Gatorade. Shortly after midnight, after spending the majority of the evening in the bathroom, I called the dr's office and spoke with a nursing service. They suggested I go to the ER. I did, and there they diagnosed me as having C.Diff. I spent the eve of Christmas eve in the hospital, hooked to an IV with intravenous flagyl and morphine, along with some anti-nausea medicine. The next day, though I didn't feel much better, I was able to leave the hospital and spend Christmas with my family. I was put on a week of Flagyl, with hydrocodone for pain and zofran for nausea. <BR>The night I finished the Flagyl was new year's eve... again, I started with the vomiting and diarrhea. Three days later, I again entered the hospital emergency room and was admitted for observation on the Obstetrics ward. I spent four days in the hospital, hooked to an IV and was prescribed two weeks of Flagyl. <BR>A week after completing the second round of flagyl, symptoms are returning. Mucous in the b/ms, mainly, and urgency. I called my new dr's office (I switched due to the lack of response from the earlier dr) and told them I felt the C.diff returning and asked to be put on Vancocin. After reviewing my records from the two hospital stays, the new dr agreed to prescribe the vancocin. <BR>Two days into treatment, I'm still having symptoms. I will update with any change. <BR>BTW, everything so far with the baby is fine. I am currently 25 weeks, 5 days along.

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:33 pm

A week after completing my 10-day vanco treatment, and i'm feeling pretty good. Praying for no relapse this time. Still some upset tummy feelings, but nothing I can't handle. Staying away from "trigger" foods that make it worse... looking into probiotics. I am now 28 weeks pregnant, and really feeling it. <BR>Will update as to any change.

Postby Guest » Fri May 07, 2004 4:10 pm

It's now May -- and I've been pretty much c.diff free since late February. I continue to drink a milk fortified with probiotics (acidipholus and bifidum) that is available here in Maine. I credit that for helping to restore my "good bacteria". Baby is due any day now! As I write this, I'm having pretty strong contractions... Hoping to avoid the use of any antibiotics during labor. I also hope that Hunter (my baby) is c.diff free and free of any other problems that may have been related to my having to take medications while pregnant (morphine for the pain, etc.)

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:03 pm

Baby was born May 21 -- two weeks late and super healthy. He weighed 10 lbs, 9 ounces and was off the charts in height and head circumference. I feel so lucky that he has not shown any problems related to the c-diff. I did give birth via c-section and was administered antibiotics during the surgery, as well as afterwards for an infection in the incision. It's been two months, and I have not had any noticeable change in b/ms. Thanks to everyone on this board for being so supportive while I was struggling with this illness. I pray it doesn't return for me, and I pray that those of you who continue to suffer are well soon.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”