Amy and Celeste's Case History

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.

Amy and Celeste's Case History

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:17 am

I am allergic to penicillin. I gave birth to my 5 week premature daughter on December 9, 2004. I didn't have my Group B Strep results, so they gave me Clindamycin to PREVENT an infection in my daughter and myself. My daughter was in the NICU and was supposed to be released on Dec. 17 - but I told them I had diarrhea - which only lasted 1 day at that point - and she was released on Dec. 18th. Then on Dec. 31, 2004 - New Year's Eve - I had uncontrollable diarrhea. I waited it out and by that Sunday, I was so sick, I drove myself to the Emergency Room. They suspected C. diff so they prescribed Flagyl and sent me home. They got the results from my stool sample and it was negative for C. diff - so they told me to stop taking the Flagyl. Then 5 days later the diarrhea hit again. On Jan. 15, 2005, I went back to the same Emergency Room and they admitted me because I was so sick and weak. I had my stool tested 3 times and had a flexible sigmoidoscopy on Jan. 16. Out of the 3 samples only 1 tested positive for C. diff, but the scope indicated severe pseudomembranous colitis. I was prescribed Flagyl and Vancomycin. After a few days, my hands were burning - so my doctor told me to stop taking the Flagyl - yet again - this time because it could cause permanent nerve damage. So I tapered the Vancomycin until March 27, 2005. While I was still on Vancomycin. I had my stool tested 3 times - all 3 came back negative. So I stopped taking the Vancomycin - and then 5 days after stopping - the diarrhea returned again! I started taking Vancomycin again and had another flexible sigmoidoscopy. This time my colon looked normal to my doctor's eye, but the microscopic results indicated ulcerative colitis. To rule out other causes, I was tested for IBD - diverticulitis, ulcerative colitis, and Crohn's. All came back negative. So all of my problems are C. diff related. I tapered Vancomycin until April 22, 2005. I have been off the Vancomycin for 54 days now. <BR> <BR>All this time, I changed my diet. I avoided dairy, wheat, sugar, red meat and pork. I only had protein shakes with Jay Robb's Whey or Egg White protein and fortified Vanilla Rice Dream or Vanilla Silk when I could tolerate it. I ate chicken, brown rice and steamed vegetables. I ate Stoneyfield Farm Plain yogurt. I took Culturelle, Florastor, Reuteri, Lactinex, Natren's Healthy Trinity. I drank Sonne's #7 with Metamucil. I drank Butter Pecan Ensure to try to gain weight. I really don't know what eventually cured me - I am just blessed to be healthy again and to be a Mama to my 2 miracles - Shane and Celeste! <BR> <BR>As a segue - my newborn daughter also tested positive for toxins A & B. She was hospitalized and treated with Vancomycin also. What a nightmare! <BR> <BR>Amy Warren <BR>Maineville, Ohio - USA <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Amy']

dalamy
Regular Contributor

Postby dalamy » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:56 am

Since I stopped taking vancomycin on April 22, 2005, I have found out that my sample matches the epidemic outbreak strain. I still am not "normal", but I am just thankful I am no longer having the diarrhea. Celeste is doing well too.

I have been drinking a Blended Organic Balance (BOB) smoothie every day for a nutritious drink that is filling and provides good carbohydrates, protein, essential fats, fiber, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.
This is eating to live, versus living to eat!

BOB Ingredients

1 T Flax seed for essential Omega 3 fatty acids
1 banana for potassium
1 c berry blend (frozen blueberries, raspberries, and marionberries) for antioxidants
1 c Stoneyfield Farm plain yogurt for calcium and friendly gut bacteria
1 c Soy or Fortified Rice Milk for calcium
1/8 t cinnamon for diabetes
1 t Brewers Yeast for B-complex and folic acid
1 t Just Barley juice powder for vitamins, minerals, and diabetes
1 T raw honey from your local area for allergies
1 T Hi-Pro for protein and digestive enzymes
1 T Nectar D'or for electrolytes and trace minerals - iron

Night before place flax seed in blender and top with just enough water to cover to extract essential oils

Next morning add soy milk, fruit, and supplements and blend!

dalamy
Regular Contributor

Postby dalamy » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:53 am

I thought 4/22/06 would be a joyous anniversary for me - 1 year from my last dose of vancomycin on 4/22/05. Instead, I was diagnosed with Bipolar II - Mood swings without manic episodes. Currently taking lexapro for anxiety and panic attacks, lamictal and risperdal for bipolar II.

http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/frameset.html

Long story short:

3/11/06 - my daughter Celeste has a cold
3/12/06 - Coldstone Creamery has 1 year anniversary and gives out free servings of ice cream - I ate my fair share to say the least - and the remaining portion of Celeste's ice cream (my sister Tricia ate some of Celeste's ice cream too - she never caught the cold so I think my immunity has been affected from C. diff.)
3/13/06 - cold starts
3/17/06 - I cannot smell or taste anything - never happened to me before - usually a cold just alters my smell and taste
3/21/06 - diagnosed with sinus infection and took Biaxin XL 1000 mg and zephrex
3/22/06 - diarrhea and I FREAK - ER for stool sample
3/23/06 - gave 2 more stool samples - but I should have given the samples over 3 days - started vancomycin
3/24/06 - ER again since I cannot sleep at all! Mental breakdown - the sudafed has made me too jittery and anxious - stopped taking vancomycin

This has been my 3rd mental episode in 4 years:

2002 - postpartum depression after the birth of my son Shane
2005 - C. diff. - enough said
2006 - sinusitis

Sinusitis treatment plan:

Afrin 8 am and 8 pm – ONLY for 3 days
Saline irrigation (1 cup filtered warm water/1/4 t sea salt/pinch baking soda – bulb syringe) – 10 am, 12 noon, 3 pm, 7 pm, 10 pm
Nasonex – 1 pm
Mucinex Expectorant (the Sudafed makes me too anxious and jittery – affects my sleeping) – 10 am and 10 pm
Simply Saline – as needed to keep nasal passages from drying out

Tylenoyl or Ibuprofen for pain
Vaporizer – run while sleeping
Sleep with 2 or 3 pillows
Drink 8 to 10 glasses of filtered water
Chicken soup
Hot showers
Hot compress
Steam from pot of hot water

Bragg raw – unfiltered organic apple cider vinegar (2 T in glass of filtered water 2 or 3 times a day or equal parts filtered water and vinegar to breathe steam from hot pot of water)
Potassium supplements - to dry up mucus
grapefruit seed extract drops – could not use because grapefruit juice affects prescription drugs – currently taking lexapro for anxiety and panic attacks and lamictal and risperdal for bipolar II – mood swings without mania

I think there is a connection with ice cream and sinusitis (the sorbitol). That's why I took the Bragg apple cider vinegar.

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/acvinegar.html

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/sinus_infection.html

Now for Celeste:

4/10/06 - Celeste has inner ear infection - right ear - 400 mg amoxicillin every 12 hours
4/15/06 - she still is sticking her finger in right ear - pediatrician asked if I had a brown dog - I asked how did she know - Celeste has a dog hair in her ear! Darn Dexter! Both ears are beautiful - no infection. Just continue amoxicillin for 2 more days - for a 7 day course
4/17/06 - last dose of amoxicillin

dalamy
Regular Contributor

Postby dalamy » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:15 am

dalamy
Regular Contributor

Postby dalamy » Wed May 10, 2006 1:37 pm

Celeste has tolerated the 7 day course of amoxicillin - 14 doses of 400 mg.

She has taken 2 Culturelle capsules mixed in her juice and Natren's Bifidonate mixed in Stoneyfield Farm Yo Baby daily.

dalamy
Regular Contributor

Postby dalamy » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:30 pm

Back in August 2006 - I woke up in the middle of the night thinking a UTI was coming on. That constant feeling of having to go to the bathroom even after I just went. I panicked - was thinking I would have to take an antibioitc. So I immediately took 1,500 mg of D-Mannose to try to prevent the infection. By the next day, that feeling finally went away.

I now take D-Mannose daily - as a preventative measure.

I have also started taking Digestive Advantage - Colitis and Crohn's formula. And I must say, my stools are more like they were before C. diff. That's very encouraging to me! I am still not like I was before, but am getting closer to it!

dalamy
Regular Contributor

Postby dalamy » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:05 am

Happy 2nd Birthday Celeste! :o)

2 years after our saga began, we are both C. diff. asymptomatic.

I am so thankful for our health today!

I pray for a CURE - either in my lifetime or Celeste's! May this Birthday Wish come true for Celeste!

I love you Baby Girl!

Your Mama!
Amy

dalamy
Regular Contributor

Re: Amy and Celeste's Case History

Postby dalamy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:00 pm

It has been almost 7 years since I was first diagnosed with C. diff. back in January 2005. Although I have not had a recurrence, I have NOT taken ANY antibiotics since either. I consider myself to be in remission and I am living a healthy life. I am NOT 100% or like I was before C. diff., but I am also so thankful that I no longer have an active infection. Celeste is totally healthy too. She has taken amoxicillin several times for ear infections and has not been affected.
Amy

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”