Tere's Case History

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:16 am

hi,my name is tere. i am an RN and was diagnosed with c. diff after being on augmentin and a medrol dose pack for a respiratory infection. i had diarrhea most of the time i was on the antibiotic but i knew that diarrhea was a common side effect so i continued on the 10 day course. a week after completing the antibiotics the diarrhea continued and i developed bad abdominal cramps, bloody and mucousy and very foul smelling stools. i went to my doc-he quickly diagnosed it as c. diff and put me on 10 days of flagyl. i adhered to the strict diet he gave me-no fruit(because of the sugar),no wheat, beans, milk and no sugar. i lost 10 pounds and felt that i could eat nothing. i did eat lots of veggies and rice and potatoes. i also continuued on a whole food supplement called Juice Plus( 17 raw fruits and veggies,oats and barley-all sugar, salt, water and GLUTEN is removed)in capsule form. i felt this was giving me the nutrition my body needed to heal. after completing the flagyl the symptoms returned(i attributed this to the steroids i was on-some of the articles i read on the internet said that steroids can cause an overgrowth of c. diff) i found this web site and took the advice that the nutritionist gave on foods to eat and to avoid. so i took myself off all corn and oat products and processed meats and continued with the other restrictions my doctor gave me. i was started on another 10 day course of flagyl. i just completed this second round 4 days ago- my symptoms have subsided but i still have very soft stools. i am hoping this has cured my colitis. my doc wants to stay on this diet for 2 weeks after i finished the flagyl.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”