Two-year-old's case history

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.

Postby Guest » Sat May 17, 2003 4:08 pm

My daughter was 2 1/2 when she was put on a form of Keflex for a urinary tract infection. One week later, she started having horrible flu symptoms. We went to the ER on a Sunday, and we're told she had Roto Virus. We went to the doctor only Monday morning (receptionist told us we could on see the nurse as the doctor was booked) and she was again sent home with the diagnosis of Roto Virus. By this time, my lively 2 1/2 year old would wake up to scream in pain, often throw up, then pass out again. On Monday evening we were back in the ER where she received IV fluids, and a doctor decided to take a stool sample. At this point, she was having horrendous smelling diarrehea at least every hour, she was extremely pale, and hadn't slept for more that an hour at a time for 2 days. <BR>We ended up back in the ER on Tuesday, and they finally admitted her into the hospital. At 7:00PM, I heard for the first time the words "c.diff". Although my daughter was still in extreme pain, they wouldn't give her anything, so we had another sleepless, painfilled night. Early the next morning, I asked the nurse why my daughters stomach was so hard, and that is when everyone (finally) sprang into action. It was discovered that her colon was swelling, and she was transferred by ambulance to a children's hospital where they could better treat her. She spent 3 days in the ICU, and they diagnosed her with severe colitis. After a 12 days, we came home. It was then that I discovered this website, and the possiblity that this horrible disease could return. My daughter took her last dose of flagyl on a Thursday, was outside learning to ride a bike on Monday morning, and by Monday evening she was back in the hospital with that horrible smelling diarrehea. <BR>This time around things got much worse. She ended up in the ICU for almost 2 weeks, because her belly area was so damaged and swollen, it started causing other complications. She was diagnosed with toxic megacolon She ended up with 2 chest tubes, a rectal tube, a catheter, and she had a pic line, where she was fed intrevenously for 3 weeks. <BR>We have now been home 1 month today, and so far, so good. She still has frequent, mushy stool, but other than that she is funtioning as a normal healthy almost 3 year old! <BR>I now check this website often, because if it happens again, we want to be ready with all the info and suggestions possible. <BR>Thank goodness, my daughters complications from c.diff are extrememly rare, but I wanted to post in case there are other parents out there dealing with c.diff, so they know they are not alone.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”