Debi's case history

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.

Postby Guest » Wed May 07, 2003 11:25 am

First- two comments: <BR>1) Thank you for all of your support these past 6 months. Even those of you that weren't aware..you truly have been my support group <BR>2) I hesitate, even now, to say I am over this. But I am cautiously optimistic. And I am anxious to write this to give hope to others who are experiencing this awful disease. <BR> <BR>I am a 44 year old married female. I have always been in extremely good physical condition. I work full time in Sales Management for a major corporation, and in 22 years have never taken a sick day. I have 2 teenagers (one away at college) <BR> <BR>This past November, I developed Pneumonia. I was given Zythromax, and after no response, given Ceflin along with it. 5 days later, still no response, so I was hospitalized for 5 days, taking IV Zythromax and IV Levequin. Once I came home, I continued with the Levequin and Zythromax for another 7 days. (that means 17 days of Zythromax, and others...) About one week after I was done with the antibiotics, I came down with what I know now as my first encounter with C-diff. At the time, the doctor prescribed diarehea meds over the phone, and told me to call if it got worse. It got MUCH worse, so she prescribed Flagyl over the phone and was told to come in the office the next day (this was the weekend) By then, my symptoms subsided. But, now I had dark urine. Silly me, (not to mention Silly Doctor!!) thought it was a bladder infection, and gave me MORE antibiotics to go along with the flagyl. THEN I started getting smart, reading all the material I could. Low and behold, one of the biggest side effects of flagyl is DARK URINE. But, by now, the damage was done... Anyway, I went through 3 additional courses of flagyl, anywhere from 2 weeks to a month at a time. But consistantly, 5 days after the pills were done, the symptoms started. I did start loading up on probiotics (again, thanks to all of you on this website) but it still didn't seem to have any effect. Finally, the turning point was after my 3rd course, about 3 months into this, and 3 months of not knowing if I could go out anywhere for fear I would have to run to the bathroom in pain, I had my worst episode ever. I went to the bathroom about 12 times in a 10 hour period. And even though I hadn't eaten most of the day, every time I went it was like I had not gone in days. Massive amounts. (sorry to be so graphic) And then there was blood. This time, when I went to my primary care physician, she put me in the hospital, and I FINALLY got a gastro-guy to see me. I also FINALLY got vanco, something that I wasn't able to get before I was hospitalized, as no pharmacy could get it. I had a colonoscopy, (all tested as cdiff but nothing else)During this time, I was sicker than I have ever been, including the bout with Pneumonia (and I was extemely sick then) Anyway, I got my vanco, and came home with both vanco and flagyl for another 2 weeks. I also went to the health food store, and met with a nutritionilist. Took mega doses of all, but again, 5 days after the vanco/flagyl was over, it came back...I was very, very discouraged by this point, even calling Sharyn in Australia. But my gastro doctor was wonderful. He was willing to do anything to help me. We both did research, and I will have to say that between the two of us, I think we killed those bad boys in my stomach, once and for all! (she says cautiously...) So, here is what I think my cure was...I did the tapered Vanco, starting with 1-4 X a day for a week, then dropping to 3 X a day for a week, then 2 X a day for a week, then 1 x a day, then every 48 hours for a week, then every 3 days for 3 weeks. In addition, I was eating 3 yougurts a day (stoneyhill farms is the best tasting, and has the most live cultures) And taking the following probiotics: Jarro-Dophilus EPS (Enhanced Probiotic System)- During the course of treatment I took 6 a day. And Inner Sync Probiotic (6 a day as well). The inner sync is supposed to recolonize your stomach, so the other probiotics can latch on.... Anyway, it worked for me (she again says hesitantly). <BR>I have now been vanco free for almost a month. I went to my gastro doctor this morning, and do not plan on going back again. I have felt great for the past 2 months, since I started the vanco taper. I am going to continue on low doses of the probiotics, at least for several more weeks, just to be sure. My only left over side effect is the numbing in my toes. (it was in my hands too, but that has subsided) I guess I am one of those who have experienced the side effects from Vanco. But at this point, if that is my only left over effect of this, I am eternally grateful. <BR> <BR>Again, for all of you out there, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I dreamed of the day I could write my case study, and today is the day!! <BR> <BR>Wish me luck!!

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 21, 2003 9:03 pm

Debi's Case Study- Update- June 21st 2003 <BR> <BR>I consider myself C-diff free, as I haven't had any meds, other than probiotics, for almost 2 1/2 months, and my stomach has never felt better! Just a note of caution to all...... <BR> <BR>I went to a neurologist yesterday, as the tingling/numbness in my toes have not gone away. It actually started in January, after 3 months of Flagyl, and a couple of weeks on Vanco. I stopped the Flagyl at that time, and continued with the Vanco for the duration of my illness. (3 more months) The neurologist diagnosed me as having peripheral neuropathy. Nothing can be done for it, really, (not that I would take any drugs for ANYTHING at this point anyway), but he feels optimistic that it will go away on it's own within the next SEVERAL months. He says it is a classic case, he is sure it is from the flagyl. (he even looked it up on the web while I was in his office) So just be careful!

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”