Jemma's case history (23 mth old)

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:31 pm

My daughter suffers from Reflux & chronic constipation so when the diarrhea began I began to suspect something was wrong. She had been on (but did not finish due to GI upset) and antibiotic, Amox, Sept 2002. By the begining of Nov she was diagnosed with her first C-Diff infection. She would not take the Flagyl because of the nasty taste even though she has been on meds (Domperidone & Pepcid since 8 weeks old for Reflux almost her whole short life. We switched to Vancocin and she was able to finish the treatment. The diarrhea began again & we immediately knew it was the C-Diff back again because of the severity & stink of the BM's. The GI ordered the Vancocin again X 3weeks. Right after Christmas & the end of the treatment the 3rd bout with C-Diff was diagnosed. So, we are now on 1 month of vancocin and just added Sacro B a probiotic treatment. The Ped GI is hopeful that this will result in the end of the C-Diff, but I don't know, seems like it is pretty stubborn. Since she is only a toddler I now worry about furure antibiotics and recently when the whole family had Bronchitis was scared to put her on one. I was wondering if this is because she has so many other GI issues. Wish us luck the 3rd time is the LAST time!!! Sharon <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Sharon']

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:05 am

OK, I am scared to even type this in case it should come back with a vengence, but Jemma has finished her Vanco and the additional days of Saccro-B and so far..........no C-Diff!!!! <BR> <BR>After she finished the Vanco I thought she was getting the C-Diff again because she had several stinky diarrhea diapers within a short period of time. Here in NJ, the doctors were on strike (Feb 4th) several days (long story, but due to excessive malpractice insurance caps) and I was dI wouldn't be able to get her re-tested & on meds again. But, we still had the 1 week of Saccro left & the diarrhea stopped. She now seems to be back to her normally constipated self and will get another re-test next week when I drop off the sample. I pray we have licked this as it was the third time within 3 months & I wasn't sure what our next course of therapy would be. Meantime, my daughter has officially reached age *TWO* and we celebrated her birthday & hopefully the end of the C-Diff. I will keep you posted...and I typed *softly* lest that nasty C-Diff cootie hears me brag about our victory & decides to creep back. *HUGS* to all of you going thru this! Sharon & Jemma Marie<BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Sharon']

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”