Rosa's Case History

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
My Wife Has It
Brand New Poster

Rosa's Case History

Postby My Wife Has It » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:43 pm

Rosa's case history

Sep. 06
Breast cancer dx. f/b surgery, contracted MRSA infection in surgical wound, treated with IV Vanco, and oral Zyvox

Nov. 06
Started chemo for 4 months completed in March '07 with no incidents aside from chemo s/e nuasea, weakness.

Aug. 07
Has been recieving Aromasyn tab daily (until Aug. '12) to supress estrogen (causes UTI symptoms) probably due to V. dryness and Herceptin IV once every 3 wks. (until Jan. '09 to deter cancer recurence)

Aug. 20, 07
Has UTI symptoms, is put on CIPRO a UA, UC done, at Oncologist

Aug. 27, 07
Misses work due to fever, mild diareah, Onco. changes to Levaquin due to UA, UC results. Blood Cultures done (results neg.)

Aug. 31, 07
Nitemare begins (worse than Chemo) return to Onco. after missing work all week, having had high fevers and profuse explosive D., Onco suspects bad kidney infection, xfers care to Primary Care Doc. who admits. to hosp. for hydration and consults ID Doc. Put on Ancef IV (broad spectrum antibiotic) repeat UA, UC, Blood cultures - all negative
Stool cultures ordered

Sep. 1, 07
Stool cultures show C-Diff, switched to Flagyl IV, GI Doc consulted. Rosa still having 20+ D. per day, still with fever, nausea, abd. distension, cramping, feels like s--t, literaly. There is hope, I found this forum.

Sep. 4, 07
No improvement in symptoms, GI Dx. colitis after CT scan, xrays, I question nonresponsiveness to Flagyl, inquire about going to Vanco oral, GI says not after only 2-3 days on Flagyl, later that nite Rosa gets bad rash all over her body Flagyl D/C'd, Vanco/Florastor started. Yes.... (dont bring a knife to a gun fight)

Sep. 9, 07
What a week, first time today Rosa has had less D. and feeling a little better, maybe going home tommorow. GI, ID, PCP amused when I mentioned fecal infusions earlier this week. At least ID mentioned IVIG still in tool chest if needed. Been pushing Kefir, Dan active, stonyfield yogurt, Apple pectin powder, and additional probiotics. Rosa is a little upset with me making her drink all that stuff. I don't care, pretty lonely in our king size bed.

Thanks to mods for this wonderfull site, could not have made it through this ordeal without info here. Knowledge is power. Hopeing Rosa will be in the 80 percentie, but if in the 20 percentile, we'll be ready. Bring it on C-Diff.
Diagnosed 9-1-07, started on Flagyl but stopped after 3 days due to allergic rash, on Vanco 125mg 4 x day and Florastor, still waiting for D. to stop, at least fever is gone. What a monster of an infection. Any words of wisdom appreciated.

My Wife Has It
Brand New Poster

In the Clear

Postby My Wife Has It » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:26 pm

Just received an email from someone who read Rosa's case, and it reminded me to update her history here.

Again I have to thank this site and its Moderators, going through this was a lot easier having knowledge I gained here. Thank You

Sept. 10, 07
Rosa discharded home, on Vancocin 125mg 4xday which she has been on since Flagyl discontinued and continues to take Florastor

Sept. 26, 07
Today is last day of Vanco, will continue to take Florastor until supply runs out. Bought enough for 2 months, keeping fingers crossed during the next 3 days so symptoms don't return. She returned to work on Sept. 17 without incident, still dosn't feel 100% but eating well.

Oct. 3, 07
Out of sight, out of mind. Rosa's been doing very well, still on Florastor no C. Diff symptoms, I beleive we're done with this monster. If I don't post any further, then she is in the 80% and not a chronic sufferer. Feel free to contact me for any info, however this site has it all and then some. Thank you so much, would like to make a Pay Pal donation, can a Mod. email me regarding this.
Diagnosed 9-1-07, started on Flagyl but stopped after 3 days due to allergic rash, on Vanco 125mg 4 x day and Florastor, still waiting for D. to stop, at least fever is gone. What a monster of an infection. Any words of wisdom appreciated.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”