Rachelle's Case History

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:08 am

July 25th 2002 I gave birth to my beautiful baby boy, Daniel. I did not know the results of my Strep B test and since I delivered in the middle of the night my doctor couldn't find out the results of the test so I was given antibiotics to treat Step B (I found out later I didn't need them.) <BR> <BR>3 weeks later, August 18th, I was diagnosed with Strep Throat at a prompt care center becuase my Internists' office is closed on Saturdays. I was treated with penicillin. On August 22nd I had my first bloody diarhea. 2 days later I called the prompt care center I had gone to for the strep throat and asked if I could take Imodium because I had terrible diarhea. They said yes, but told me to be sure to finish the penicillin prescription for the strep. I said okay. <BR> <BR>In the meantime, I worried about my newborn as he cried alot. I had called the pediatrician who said that babies cannot get strep but Daniel had a low grade fever. He ended up having an ear infection. His temperature was 100.1. I was up a lot in the middle of this night making sure his fever stayed under 100.4 (if it got to 100.4 my Dr. wanted me to take him to the ER.) <BR> <BR>Fortunately, it never got that high and he got better. By the next Wednesday, I was in terrible pain. My husband had been telling me to get into our Internal med. Dr. but I just thought it was a side effect of the antibiotic since they warn you about it. (My husband was also on anitibiotics as he also came down with Strep throat...he never got diarhea and it still fine to this day.) So, since I could hardly get up the energy to go to the bathroom at this point, I called the Dr. I got in right away. My Dr. asked me if I had blood in my stool and I said yes. He immediately told me he thought I had C-Diff and wanted me to get tested. Since they have a lab on site, he personally walked me down to the lab and told the lab tech's what he wanted me tested for. I joked and told him that I couldn't go to the bathroom at that moment but if he gave me a cracker I would probably be able to in a matter of minutes. So, he went and got me some crackers!! So, I was able to give them a really small sample. <BR> <BR>The next morning my Dr. called me and told me I tested positive for Clostridium Difficle. He told me I tested negative for the toxin. He told me I should call the pediatrician and that he did not recommend I nurse on the Flagyl he was putting me on. He prescribed 250 mg (I think) 4X a day for 10 days. I called my pediatrician. The pediatrician called in an order for him to be tested at the nearest lab, which was at the hospital I delivered him at. <BR> <BR>It took me forever to get a shower and get out of the house. After finding a parking space, I lugged the baby into the hospital and got to the lab. (By this time I was sooo exhausted. I was 4 weeks postpartum, had just got over strep throat, had a sick baby and now C-diff) They told me to put saran wrap in his diaper to get a stool sample. I rushed home because it was 3:45 and I wanted to get back up there by 6:00 with a sample. I got home put the saran wrap in his diaper and he pooped!! I rushed up to the hospital and dropped off the sample. At this point, I went to get my presription! (I was more worried about my baby than me.) The next morning the lab called me and told me they had to throw his sample away becuase I forgot to label it. I totally lost it!!! I cried to the guy on the phone. He told me to have my ped call in another order. I called my mom who lives nearby. Daniel ended up being fine and my mom came over every day for a month to help. (She even cleaned and organized my whole entire house!!) <BR> <BR>Sept 11th <BR>Sept 11th, off the Flgyl for 3 days, I was shopping with my Daugher for shoes at Stride right. I will never forget, all the sudden, my whole body became hot and I broke out in a sweat. I thought for sure I was going to lose control right then and there in the store. I sat in my seat and held it. Trying to keep my daughter entertained, I held it for 15 minutes while we tried on shoes and paid for everthing!! When finished, I told me daughter we were going to run through the mall. She was 30 months at time. I was soo proud of her...she and I ran through the mall to the nearest bathroom. I just made it. I remember her saying out loud, "Mommy, you go poop again??" She is learning to potty train, and already poops on the potty. (honestly). So, this time I got home and called the Dr. He has an answering system during office hours. I called twice but didn't hear back. So, I paged him at 6:30 that night. He called back 1/2 hour later. He prescribed more Flagyl but told me that if the diarhea continued by the next Tueday to call him. I started the Flagyl that night. <BR> <BR>Sept 18th <BR>By Sept 18th, the next Weds even on the Flagyl, I was still having terrible diarhea. I called the Dr. He prescribed Vanco for 10 days (250 mgs 3X). It took 24 hours to get it due to the shortage. I finished the treatment on Sept 30th. <BR> <BR>Oct. 6th <BR>Oct. 5th we celebrated my mom's Birthday. It was a great night. Sunday morning we went to church and then pumpkin picking. I was really feeling bloated. I first went to the bathroom at around 1:00. After about 14 trips to the bathroom and call to the Dr. again, I went back on the vanco. Fortunately, the pharmisist had 10 pills left from the last order he got in. I got them. They also ordered more for me. I had severe pain and blood until the next morning. It seemed to be a lot worse this time (each relapse seemed to get worse.) On Monday, my brother in law who is a orthopedic Dr. got me in to a GI dr. The GI assured me I would get better. He wanted to do a sigmoidoscopy that Weds, Oct 9th (my 36th birthday). He also took me off the vanco and back onto flagyl. I told him I got sick on the flgyl. So, I had the sigmoid on my birthday. He said the only thing he found was irritation. He also tested for C-Diff and candida. I got home and found out my daughter had strep throat. Paged my dr. to see what would happen if I got it. No antibiotics. So, I took my son and stayed at mom's for 3 days so that I would not be exposed. I missed my daughter. Anyway, I got sick again 7 days later, Oct. 16th. (I sell candles part time, I had a party that night...I tried to cancel but she really wanted me to do the party...so after using the bathroom about 10 times in 45 mintue period, I think she understood and she and her guests helped me pack my things and load up my car so I could go home!!) GI put me back on vanco, this time for 3 weeks. After that on Flgayl until Nov. 24th. I had diarhea for about 2 days and really wasn't feeling good. I was "on guard". <BR> <BR>Dec. 4th <BR>Weds, Dec. 4th I was at work, in a meeting when I started getting really hot. I thought I might pass out. I waited it out because I was afraid I was going to lose it. (or maybe just make some really embarassing noises in front of about 15 men. So, I decided to sit there and hold it a few minutes until I could get up safely and quickly.) I made it. I got home went again, and paged the Dr. Yes, it was an emergency, again. I told him that if history repeated itself I would be calling in the middle of the night. However, I said the flagyl had worked the last time at the end and that I had a few pills left. I remember the Dr. commented that he and his partner "talk about me all the time, I am such a difficult case, they've never had anything like this". I had already had my regular follow up appt scheduled for the next day. (coincidence??) Time for a colonoscopy. So, Monday Dec. 9th, I had a colonoscopy. "everything looked good" Only some irritation. I've been on Flagyl ever since. Started out 250 mgs. 4X a day. <BR> <BR>Dec. 30th <BR>Went back to my Dr. on Dec. 30th. Said the biopsy showed clinically insignificant colitis. The last 3 weeks I had felt pretty good. So, my dr. and I half joked that maybe I just needed the colonoscopy (to be cleaned out...). That night I had oreo cookies and a glass of milk. The next morning I woke up with a stomach ache. That night, new years eve, I celebrated with a nice dinner, steak, a baked potato, crab legs and oreo cookies and milk. My Dr. all along had said I could eat whatever I wanted. By 1:30 a.m. Jan 1, 2003 I was in severe pain, had really bad diarhea. I was sooo scared it was all starting over. But, as the day went on, the diarhea slowed. I didn't call the Dr. because I was able to sleep that night and after the diarhea things seemed to be getting better. Plus, at this point, I didn't want to go back on Vanco. I decided to do more research. I did a search on the internet and found this web site. I cried when I read the home page where it says "you are not alone"! I was relieved. I read as many case histories as I could. I emailed Sophie because we seemed to have similar challenges in our life at the same time, both having newborns. This web site has been a life saver. I have changed my diet. No dairy for me! I ordered the culturelle and floraster. I have started feeling better. Then yesteday, Jan. 10th I had really bad cramps and diarhea. But, it wasn't like normal C-Diff. My daughter also had diarhea so I think it could have been a bug. Or something I ate because I did have a cookie. So, today I am doing okay. I haven't gone to the bathroom so I'm on edge (at least I have no cramping). I do get constipated on the flagyl. My stool lately (with the exception of yesterday) has been somewhat formed. I will keep posting with updates. <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Rachelle']

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:52 pm

Jan 21st, 2003 <BR> <BR>I want to add some important detials about what I have come to realize at this point. First, I honestly believe that waiting to go to the Dr. at the inital onset of the C-Diff contributed to the re-occurences. Second, I have been taking the acidopholis every day and this has made a tremendous difference. The major offender in my diet is milk. I can have a little cheese and even some chocolate and only have minor symptoms. (Keep in mind I am pretty tolerant of the symptoms though and I am still taking Flagyl). Since Jan. 1st I have only had one major episode and that was on Jan. 9th. However, now I am having other symptoms (naseau and major headaches..probably severe enough to call migraines..) which I am thinking is from the Flagyl. I have tapered off the Flagyl (I am doing this without consulation from my Dr. I just want to get off the meds...) I am now taking 2 250 mg. tablets a day. I am also taking floraster. I have gone to the bathroom about 4 times today, soft formed stool. I do feel bloated but I ate a little too much chocolate today (I knew I would pay for it...just couldn't resist!!) I am looking into pulse dosing and am going to try that. My next appt with my GI is Feb. 13th so I am hoping all goes well until then. Will keep posting with updates. <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Rachelle']

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:39 pm

Feb. 9 th 2003 <BR> <BR>Since my last post, I immediately started pulse dosing and took my last flagyl on Weds. Jan. 29th. I was so scared to go off the flagyl. One week later, on Weds. Feb. 5th I had bad diarheaa. But, that morning I had a cup of decap with a little cream and think that is what it was from. The next day I had a bad stomach ache, felt like I did 1000 sit ups. But no diarheaa. I went to a different health food store, locally owned and they recommended Primadophilus Bifidus by Nature's Way, 1-800-9-nature and Acti-zyme, <!-- BBCode auto-link start --><a href="http://www.naturesplus.com." target="_blank">www.naturesplus.com.</a><!-- BBCode auto-link end --> I take 3 of the first one daily and 2 of the other before each meal. I feel great. The only thing I really avoid is Milk. I eat yogurt and pretty much anything else I want!! I will continue to post with progress. <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'rachelle']

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”