Kate's Story

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:53 pm

I was eighteen, April 2002, when I got C-Diff. My best guess is that I got it from the antibiotic Augmentin, used for a sinus infection. Prior to C-Diff I was a very healthy child, who could eat whatever, but still had a tiny bit of an irritable bowel. <BR> <BR>When I first got sick, my doctor knew what it was immediately, and put me on Flagyl. I'm pretty sure it was 500mgs, three times a day. Being the control freak I am, once I found the diagnosis, I did tons of research and found this place as well. I must admit, I was really scared when I read about having it for four years, and all the trouble everyone here seemed to be having. <BR> <BR>In the meantime, I believe that the Flagyl tried to kill me. I felt like I was in a coma for the ten days I was on it. I was so nauseated I had to use nasty suppositories. That was great fun, but it helped a little. The taste in the mouth was a nightmare, but drinking the blue sports drink helped tremendously. (These days I can't even look at the stuff at the store without gagging) <BR> <BR>After I finished the meds, I did okay for a week. Then things started going downhill. I was sent home from school when the nurse decided that I'd probably relapsed. I drove myself straight to the GI and demanded to see him. He gave me an attitude, but I demanded stool samples. He agreed, and they came back positive again. <BR> <BR>Then I was put on a ton of Vanco. I want to say 250x4 for two weeks. I also started tons of Culturelle and Florastor. I had a "gut" feeling at the end of that time that I still had it, and was so scared to go off the Vanco. When I did, the diarrhea returned and I went back on for two weeks. <BR> <BR>I waited a while to get retested, and the results were negative. I didn't know to rejoyce because they were negative, cry because there still seemed to be something wrong with me, or just decide I had a false negative. In the end, I decided to just chill out. <BR> <BR>Three months of feeling terrible, but not as bad, continued. I was getting ready to go into college, which I dreaded. By that time, my anxiety and depression were so bad, I couldn't leave the house. I was constantly going to the bathroom, and I was into the "why me" stage. I was also terrified that maybe I'd gotten cancer, chron's or UC. So, I sucked it up, and sceduled myself a colonoscopy. <BR> <BR>Well, that was an adventure. I don't remember a thing of the procedure, but the prep was an absolute ball. I'm lying. <BR> <BR>The next day, I began college. The doc called and said the biopsies were normal, and I had a healthy looking colon. My new diagnosis was IBS, and continues to be until this day. <BR> <BR>I hope to god I will never get it again, but I work in a daycare, and am going to college to be a pre-school teacher, so there's a good chance I'll one day need antibiotics again. Although I live in constant paranoia, I'm nineteen and I beat it the first time. I try to remember that. <BR> <BR>It is beatable. I did it, and I really thought it would never end. I feel for everyone who deals with this, and I care about you all. Take probiotics if your doc complies. The good ones will. <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'kate']

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:01 pm

Hi guys it's me again. I just thought I'd let you all know how I've been. <BR> <BR>The IBS is getting much better, as is the anxiety and depression that went along with it. I can finally eat some dairy products, leave the house, and do many of the things I couldn't do before. <BR> <BR>I'm still terrified of antibiotics, as I think we all are, but I don't let the fear of illness control my life anymore. The thoughts are still there, I won't lie, but they don't consume my every moment. <BR> <BR>I'm only taking Paxil CR, and my only side effect is extreme sleepiness and laziness. Other than that, no problems. It has helped me so much. I think by next year if all goes well, I will try to come off of it and see if I can handle everything on my own. <BR> <BR>I owe so much to you guys. I want you to know that I understand and am hereb for anyone if they need advice or just to vent or talk. I know I haven't been around in a long time, which I feel badly about, but I'm just healing. <BR> <BR>Once again, thank you, and I'll continue to check in.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”