Lisa in Las Vegas- Case Study

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:27 pm

I am a 27 year old female who has been a victim of c-diff for the last 20 days. My OBGYN prescribed an 7 day 1500 mg course of Cephalexin for vaginal strep. After three days of being on the antibiotic I became violently ill. I called the nurse and pharmacist who assured me that my illness was just side effects from the antibiotic and to continue taking the medicine. While continuing the medication I developed a strange mucous-like diarrhea with severe cramping. I also had nausea due to the cephalexin. <BR> <BR> After seven days of being sick and losing weight, I finally went to my primary doctor complaining of severe nausea, cramping and water-like diarrhea. My doctor sent me to the lab for a stool sample. Guess what? I tested positive for C-Diff. At this point, I was excited that their was a name for my condition. My doctor said that my OBGYN did not need to treat me for the vaginal strep and that the C-Diff was far worse. The doctor told me that it was induced by the antibiotic and prescribed Flagyl for 10 days, 1500 mg per day. After the sixth day of the taking the flagyl the diarrhea and cramping dissipated, but I developed severe heartburn. The doctor told me to stop taking the Flagyl. <BR> <BR>I am sure you can guess where I am going with this story, two days later my symptoms returned. I go to the restroom over 15 times per day to often expel drops of a mucous like fluid. In addition the pain caused by bearing down and stomach cramps are almost unbearable. I have been off work for two weeks. I went back to work on Monday, but it is difficult to conduct business from the restroom. <BR> <BR>At this point I have scheduled an appointment with the Gastroenterology to see what options I have. My primary care physician prescribed Vancocin but so far I cannot find a pharmacy that carries the drug. <BR> <BR>At this point I am concerned that I may need to be on short-term disability at my job. Not to mention I am a 2nd year Doctoral student with only one year left if I can make it to class. Any suggestions you have on beating this monster would be appreciated. I am not sure what to eat or drink, it seems that nothing stays in. Please help. <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Lmorris1908']

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”