Virginia K. Case History

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 27, 2002 2:19 am

I am confused because my history is not like those I have read so far. As a teen-ager I had a barium enema done because of constant constipation, distended stomach, etc. They had to stop the procedure because my colon went in to spasms. I have spent YEARS using herbal laxatives because of the pain, hemmorhoids, etc. I finally went to a gastro after suffering severe pain on several occasions, despite my laxative regimen. I had a colonoscopy, had a polyp removed, and was dismissively told I have IBS. The Dr. said I might as well continue using the herbal laxatives, and that in my case high fiber would not help. I experience increased constipation and pain, so I agreed. The following October (last year) I was given augmentin for a sore throat. I was in the hospital with c-diff for seven days and was terrified by the experience. I was given demerol and morphine every half hour for the pain and flagyl for the infection. I Bled rectally for five days, and even though the pain was terrible, the gastro doctor was sure I was getting mega-colon and took me off the pain killers except for a patch. What a mess! I continue to suffer from constipation, stomach pain and now I have a peri-anal rash that will not go away. I have tried cortizone as well as an anti-fungal agent prescribed by my GP. I am concerned that this is all related. I rarely have diarrhea, only when I am so constipated that after sitting in pain on the toilet I finally go. Constipation and abdominal pain are daily occurences. I pray to go to the bathroom! I am wondering what I actually do have, since nothing I have been given helps. <BR><BR>[Guest Posted by: 'Virginia K.']

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”