Darlene's Case History

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
cryingsilly
Contributor

Darlene's Case History

Postby cryingsilly » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:48 pm

In April of 2007, I took a two week course of Clindamycin for an abscessed wisdom tooth. It is amazing how something so seemingly benign can alter your life.

At the end of the two week course of Clindamycin, I developed cramping, some D, and feelings of urgency.
Knowing that I probably had Antibiotic Associated Diarrhea, I took a whole bunch of Garden of Life probiotics, which had me feeling back to normal for one week.

But after that week, it came back with a vengeance. Working in health care i suspected immediately what was happening. I immediately went to my physicians office and requested a stool sample. Unfortunately the first and second samples that I turned in were negative. I was getting sicker by the minute. I even went to the ER because my heart rate was so fast and my abdomen hurt. My tests at that time were still negative.

The third test was positive and I was started immediately on Vanco 125X4 as I was allergic to Flagyl.

I did not have the "typical" watery diarrhea presentation. I had formed stools that gradually became softer, but with added mucus and blood. I also had a low grade temp of 99.7. I felt miserable. I ached all over and was so weak I could hardly sit up.

After taking the Vanco for 3 days or so, I did not feel a great improvement, so I called and asked if they would increase the dose. They did, to 250X4 and referred me to a GI.

At the GI's office I was still feeling miserable about 1 week into treatment. My stools were formed but very soft and I just felt as if I could not get my strength back. He just advised patience. The GI was impatient and had no bedside manner, but I didnt care at the time, I just wanted to get better.

After 10 days of vanco 250X4, I felt that any improvement I had felt was quickly leaving and I was getting sicker. When I informed my GI of my increasing symptoms, he told me that I must not have C. Diff, because if I did, the Vanco would respond correctly. I asked about upping the dose again, this time to 500X4. He said "Go ahead but it isnt going to do you any good."

At the end of that ten days on the increased dosage, I felt great. After stopping the Vanco I felt like I had beat it for good. Bowels were normal, energy was back, I was happy.

That happiness lasted for 9 days, which is when I relapsed. Test came back positive the first time, and I was immediately taking 500X4 again for 10 days. I was then reduced to 250X4 for 7 days and then 125X4 for 3 weeks.

I have currently been on the 125X4 for 2 days and am having a relapse with low grade temp, aches, increased loose BM and fatigue.

During this time I have had to deal with a GI who is less than cordial. He wants me to have a colonoscopy, but does not feel that the tests will be negated by the vanco. He says that because I failed to respond rapidly to the Vanco, then I must have something else. This frustrates me to no end. I have had two positive stool tests, and I have responded to Vanco. He also told me that relapsing is EXTREMELY rare. I am attempting to see another, but my options are limited.

During my 2 month bout with c. diff, I have been taking. S. Boularidi, Culturelle, Liquid Acidophilus, and drinking Kefir.

I have to add in here, that the psychological impact of having C. Diff. is very high for me. It is made so much the worse by the uncaring manner of my GI. I feel I have to fend for myself, that there is not a physician in my corner.
I fear the infection. I fear it getting out of control. I fear that I will not be able to beat it, or that my physicians will fail to understand and treat me properly. It has been a beast. Conquering the fear has been the hardest aspect for me.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”